“The Taj”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Taunton, United Kingdom
“The Taj”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

A great hotel, would have been better with a view, but after the previous hotel we stayed in this was luxury! The staff were extremely friendly and it is in a fantastic location. The room was clean and on our return in the evening we had ice and slippers waiting for us OK it seemed a little high brow but we deserved it!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Bev F,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Taj Boston! We were delighted to learn that you found our staff to be extremely friendly and that you enjoyed our wonderful location. We were also pleased to hear that you enjoyed our nightly turndown service, and yes, you do indeed deserve it! : )

We thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to Taj Boston the next time your travels bring you to Boston!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This hotel is in a fabulous location, however it is stuffy and not very stroller or wheelchair friendly. When we first walked in the air is so full of Chanel 5 you can taste it! If you are sensistive to smell this is not the loaction for you; very nauseating! The bell staff and concierge were very helpful and had great attitudes as well. We stayed in an inside room so view of the roof and brickwalls were all we saw, if you craned your head out the window you could maybe get a glance of the sky. Our room was large and pretty empty, no artwork one very low mirrow by the front door, stained carpet and pretty beat up looking interior for a 4 star (?) hotel. This hotel has wireless available to purchase, i mean come on at 250$ + a night you dont even get WiFi... even the Hampton Inn gives you free WiFi! I would reccomend this hotel for location only or if you don't mind spending an arm and a leg for everything including a window to the outside world with a view. Other than that dont waste your time or money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Garcia541
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Garcia541,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments following your recent stay. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed our fabulous location, and that you found our concierge and bell staff helpful and pleasant.

We do apologize that you found the perfume from the boutique in our lobby to be overpowering. Regarding your comments on Wifi, we would like you to know that we are currently upgrading our Internet so that we may offer free Wifi in the near future.

We thank you again for providing feedback, as it is with guest comments such as your own that we may continue to improve our guest experiences.

London
Reviewed 3 November 2013

After a Half Marathon we made our way to Newport for a couple of nights staying in a lovely hotel. And this hotel didn't disappoint. Spectacularly located, overlooking the public gardens, this hotel is ideally placed for all of the attractions of Boston, including the start of the Freedom Trail (which comes highly recommended). When booking, this hotel came out at one of the better value hotels in the area for the associated star rating. Does it deserve its five stars? I think the answer to that is yes - the staff were excellent and very helpful. The room we stayed in was beautifully decorated with an incredibly comfortable bed and a great bathroom with fantastic Molton Brown products. It felt like 5 stars. However, at the same time, it felt slightly uncomfortable - staff were a little too respectful and it seemed slightly artificial without warmth - and other guests seemed to ooze a sense of entitlement to be there. It was a little snobby. A little lacking in warmth and personality. Don't get me wrong, it was an excellent place, very high quality - a very high standard of room but perhaps a little too respectful, lacking some genuine interaction with guests. It seemed like it was a place "to be seen" rather than a place to enjoy.

Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Everyone in this Hotel was so helpful ensuring that our stay went perfectly. We had a lovely room with a side view on the Common. The continental buffet breakfast was a really good start to the day with all you could eat pastries, meats, fruit, bagels and coffee or tea. The dining room is a beautiful place to take breakfast and the waiters were excellent. The location is great for walking into Boston centre through the Common and gardens. There are free umbrellas available if it rains!

BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear plantsman_10,

Thank you very much for your lovely review following your recent stay with us at Taj Boston. We were so pleased to learn that you felt that our entire staff was helpful and ensured that your stay was perfect. We were also happy to hear to you enjoyed your room and the offerings at our continental breakfast.

We sincerely appreciate your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Boston the next time your travels bring you to Boston!

Sheffield, UK
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I was in Boston on business at a conference at Harvard Medical School (HMS) and chose to stay here. It is about 30 minutes walk from where the conference was being held, and this was not a problem. The hotel was easy to find. It's about 100 yards from the Arlington Station. Easy to get to from the airport. Also easy to get back to the airport too - $2.50 - by subway!

The hotel itself is a very grand building and the rooms are spacious. The facilities in the room - bathroom with bath and shower, lavatory and basin were all spotless. There was an ample supply of towels, including a robe and slippers.

The front of house staff (reception and concierge) were excellent. Jill the concierge who I dealt with most was briliant. My bag had been damaged by BA/TSA we will never know who. She contacted BA and got things moving to sort it out for me. She also had some great restaurant suggestions.

My tariff included the continental breakfast, which otherwise would have been $19. Having said that this wasn't just a couple of croissants and a bit of fruit. A great spread of fresh fruit, meats, cheese, cereals and breads. All very tasty.

There is a gym on the 4th floor, which coincidentally is the floor on which my room was situated. The gym is very good for a hotel gym, with a number of resistance machines, some free weights (dumbells), mats and a couple ofbenches. There was a ready supply of both fresh and bottled water, towels and sanitiser for the equipment. The cardio macines were OK too, but no rowing machine. Not a real problem as there was a cycle and treadmills and ellipticals.

So after my positive comments; why only 4 stars?

First. In the modern business world a hotel that has a tariff of the amount this one has (in £ about 175-180 per day) charging for Wi-Fi internet access is simply unacceptable. Fortunately there were suitable alternatives. The City of Boston does free wi-fi across Boston Common, but every Starbucks, fast food and restaurant also does it. I managed to piggy back a local shop for free from my room.

Second. The breakfast didn't start serving until 07:00. This was too late as my walk to HMS took 30-45 mins and I needed to leave before breakfast was served. Not a major problem as I got Starbucks on the way (like most of Boston from what I saw). In addition on the days when I did have breakfast I signed for it, they don't just record the room number like most places. However the 'server' told me I was simply signing to say I had had breakfast. Come checkout time I was asked to pay the gratuity that I had signed for. The servers didn't serve - they simply cleared the dishes when you had finished. They didn't even come round with coffee - that was self service. So I was a little aggrieved that for 3 breakfasts I was being charged about £9 service charge for clearing a glass and a bowl! When I explained that I had not added a gratuity it was pointed out that it was automatically added when I signed - not what I had been told.

Overall a great hotel, with just a couple of niggles. I would definitely go back as the location, facilities, reception and concierge team were brilliant. The location is good too - near Boylston and Newbury Streets - good shopping, Boston Common and Beacon Hill.

Room Tip: City View (Newbury Street side) is what I had - could piggy back free Wi-Fi $10+/day otherwise. Also...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank g4Sandman
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 October 2013

If you look at a map of Boston you can see that the Taj, located by the common at the end of Newbury is in just about a perfect spot. The hotel itself is very nice. Many years ago I stayed there when it was the Ritz Carlton. It was not until Sunday morning at brunch that I finally realized that I had been there before. Talk about Deja Vu. Anyway it is an elegant hotel with a cosy friendly bar area that has good seating for private conversations. The staff are all very attentive and the exercise room is well equipped, although it could probably do with an extra elliptical machine in view of the ever aging population! The rooms are very nicely appointed and ours had a lovely view over the park across the road. The only criticisms of the room would have to be the lack of any coffee making equipment (which I regard as standard fare for an expensive hotel) and the tiny bathrooms. Now in fairness, this is an old building that has been renovated beautifully over time, but f you are a couple, you need to time your bathroom activity because you cannot get two people in there at once. My only other comment is a pet peeve of mine, and that is that the hotel wants to charge you per day for the internet. I hate this and don't understand why they don't build it into the price.
We spent two very comfortable nights there and would definitely use it again (knowingly this time) when we next visit Boston.

2 Thank stephen c
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear stephen c,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Taj Boston. We were so pleased to learn that you found our hotel to be elegant, with a cosy friendly bar area, and that you appreciated our attentive staff and well-equipped exercise room. Further, we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your lovely view of the beautiful Public Garden.

We appreciate your constructive comments, as it is with feedback such as this that we are able to improve our guest services. We would like you to know that we are currently upgrading our Internet so that we may offer free Wifi in the near future, so hopefully by the next time you visit Boston, we will be able to offer this without charge.

Again, we thank you for taking the time to provide your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Boston in the near future!

Newtown, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here for the weekend in July to see the Red Sox. 5 star hotel right across the street from the park.Service was impeccable. They upgraded us to a suite. The room was on the corner overlooking the park. The view of the park from the window was partially blocked by the trees across the street but was not an issue. Sitting area was furnished with beautiful antiques and a large flat screen tv. Bed was very comfortable.Reasonably priced for what you get. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Great brunch.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple