“Great hotel - central location”
Review of Taj Boston

Taj Boston
Ranked #35 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Oslo, Norway
“Great hotel - central location”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

The location of this hotel we thought was just perfect. Just by the park and good walking distance to everything (being European we do accept to walk a bit though).

We had a nice room and it was nice and silent.

The service was excellent, and they booked tickets, gave good advices and even made a picnic basket for us to bring along to the 4th of July celebration on short notice.

So definitely a hotel I will stay at next time in Boston as well

• Stayed July 2014
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Khoeg,

We are thrilled to read that you had an excellent stay with us. We thank you for highlighting our prime location in Boston just across from Public Gardens on Arlington and Newbury Streets. It sounds as though you had the perfect activity planned for 4th of July. Its a delight to read that we were able to put together a great picnic amenity for you.

We look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Boston. It would be a pleasure to host you again.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 7 August 2014

You would think that a Hotel with the class (and price) of the Taj would have a good bed...not the case with our stay....the mattress was old and caved in and apparently a top sheet is something one has to ask for.... REALLY!!! There are a lot of nice hotels in Boston, I suggest finding one other than the Taj

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank John M
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear John M,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at the Taj Boston. First and foremost, we would like to apologize for any discomfort caused to you as a result of our bed. While it is our standard to make the beds with a duvet cover that gets changed daily we would be happy to update your preference for future visits to make your bed with an additional top sheet. We also offer beds of differing firmness to suit individual needs and I apologize that you were not informed of this during your stay.

We truly regret that we were unable to assist you in being comfortable and if you wish to contact us to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to email me at taj.boston@tajhotels.com.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2014

It would be very hard to beat this downtown Boston hotel across the street from the Public Gardens. They offer valet parking and even umbrellas when it rains!We are still not sure how they knew it was our anniversary but not only did we find a selection of chocolate covered strawberries upon arrival but that nights turn down included a heart shape on our bed made of rose petals! A truly classy touch. The staff was exceedingly helpful and friendly. I highly recommend a stay at this hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Taj maintains a standard of service that's better than most of the hotels we've stayed at in Boston.
The reception was friendly and efficient, the bellman was helpful and informative and the room was very clean and well styled.
Small touches like ice in the ice-bucket each evening at turn-down were really appreciated.
The doorman's recommendation of a restaurant was just what we needed and reflected the attention he paid to what we said we wanted for dinner (and the style of restaurant).
All in all a very good experience.
The location at the foot of Newbury Street is hard to beat.

Room Tip: We had a Newbury Street view which was fine. They're are Park views which may have been better.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear BobnMal,

Thank you for spending the time to review our hotel. It is feedback such as yours that continues to inspire all of us to continue to provide the exceptional service that we are known for. We thank you for recognizing that.

We hope that we have the opportunity to host you again in the near future. It would be an honor to welcome you back to our hotel.

arlington, va
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed in a park view room which I found spacious and comfortable. The bed was perfect. The room was quiet. There is high definition TV—the real deal (a huge plus with my husband, so many fine hotels do not have high definition). The bathroom is compact but well appointed. People always rave about the Molton Brown products and I have never really understood why they were so special—the Molton Brown products here are fab, smell so good.

The thing that made the stay really special was the staff. We felt so welcome. Andrew checked us in, could not have been friendlier. He recommended that we wait for a park view room on a high floor and we were glad we did. He directed my harried husband to a quiet spot in the hotel where he could conduct business until our room was ready. James, the concierge, scored a table at Hamersley's Bistro for me (highly recommend—James and the Bistro). He has a great sense of humor and made me laugh. The bartender and servers in the bar were terrific. I did not catch the bartender's name (from Morocco)—but he knew his baseball. It was amazing. The bell crew were always in the lobby ready to help.

We come to Boston about once a month...hope we can stay at the Taj more often. It is a great location, lovely property and made really special by the attention of the staff.

Room Tip: We had a park view room on the 10th floor—loved it
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cathleenmarie
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear cathleenmarie,

We are thrilled to read that you had an exceptional stay with us at Taj Boston. It is a true pleasure to read the kind words of our recent guests. We thank you for spending the time to share your experience and highlight many of our exceptional staff members. We are very lucky to have a team that is committed to the practice of perfect hospitality.

We hope that we can host you again during your next trip to Boston, and that we can become your home away from home. Please feel free to contact us at Taj.Boston@tajhotels.com should you need assistance with a reservation.

London
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed at the Taj in late July 2014 and found that the atmosphere and welcome from the staff were its main selling point. The room itself was a little tired, a bit of rust on the door hinges, window frame slightly broken but none of these aspects were major issues. The biggest annoyance was the lack of free wifi, which I think is a reasonable request at a top hotel. Not only this but it is $10.45 per day per device, which really is a rip-off. However we told the desk staff our problem and they took it off our bill, which was excellent. Overall an enjoyable stay

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank James A
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear James A,

Thank you for spending the time to review our hotel. Please know that we are continuously making improvements to our rooms so that we can provide a more exceptional experience than the last. One of the improvements that we are in the process of making is in regard to our WiFi. We apologize that you found it to be of an inconvenience, but we are looking at how we can revise our policy so that we can provide a better experience for our guests.

We hope that we have the opportunity to host you again in the near future on your next trip to Boston with your family.

Woodbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Taj, Boston ... Service that exceeds expectations

My sister and I stayed at The Taj, Boston and were in town to visit our elderly mom who had surgery on short notice. More on where this fits in later. I had stayed at The Taj multiple times before and found that it was very good hotel with a great location and with room prices that were an excellent value.

On this trip, things once again went smoothly. The doorman who greeted me was quite pleasant and efficient. I tipped him when he took the bags out of the car and gave me a parking claim form. He ended up carrying my bags all the way to the front desk ... which is a bit of a distance. (Usually the bellman does that but one must not have been available.) So I added another couple of dollars to the tip and he seemed most appreciative. When checking out, he had my vehicle right in front and made clear that he appreciated that I had stayed at The Taj. He was a very good guy, in what must be a tough job ... keeping everyone happy can't be easy.

The breakfast in the hotel dining room was very good and the service excellent. My sister did not have to ask to have her coffee refilled and the breakfast (eggs, toast, potatoes, bacon etc.) came very quickly ... it seemed like 5 minutes, but must have been a bit longer.

The rooms were clean, the pillows and comforter soft, and the bed very comfortable. The housekeeping staff were pleasant and efficient.

What stood out, however, and this is really what distinguishes many hotels from each another, was the service at the front desk. When my sister checked in she had a reservation for one night but needed to stay one more. The hotel was fully booked for the second night and she was put on a waiting list. At check-out time, there were still no rooms available for a second night so my sister was scrambling to find a nearby hotel that would put her close by (preferably within walking distance) of where our mom was residing. My sister had checked many hotels online but they were fully booked.

The two individuals at the front desk who went above and beyond the call of duty were Andrew Reddish (the assistant manager of the front office) and Fran. Andrew and Fran spent a lengthy amount of time with my sister reviewing possible hotels in the area. They pointed our where various hotels were located and how far they were from where my sister needed to go to visit my mom. Fran proceed to call 5 or 6 hotels on my sister's behalf until a vacancy was found. Now recall, Andrew and Fran are not concierges, so this was not exactly in their job descriptions. Throughout the process, Andrew and Fran were helpful as we brainstormed together. At no time did they seemed rushed or impatient. If ever one needed to be reminded that people make the difference at a hotel, this situation made it clear.

I was particularly surprised that Andrew remembered who I was at check out. He remembered me from the day before and I should note that my sister and I have different last names.

So, I don't think you could ask more from a hotel staff. They were all pleasant, efficient, and genuinely nice people. Fran was not going to give up until she got the job done.

The Taj is a very good hotel, with great value, and a staff that can't be beat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family