“Dishonest management with no regard for the customer”
Review of Taj Boston

Taj Boston
Ranked #34 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 8 April 2010

I booked one night at the Taj with my wife for Valentine's Day. We booked through AmEx Platinum's Fine Hotels & Resorts. To make a long and boring story short, the hotel tried to rip us off for $100 in food charges, and refused to back down when I pointed out their error. Stay very far away from this hotel. The experience was insulting and infuriating.

The package I booked included a suite, dinner for two and breakfast for two, excluding tax, tip, and alcohol. When I checked out, the hotel had applied an $85 credit to my dinner bill and a $40 credit to my breakfast bill, and charged me for the remainder (about $205). When I complained, the woman at the front desk handed me a printed card explaining that the dinner for two could cost a maximum of $85 (on what planet was that going to happen?!) and the breakfast a maximum of $40. This card had the Taj and AmEx logos on it. I went back to my reservation e-mail and the AmEx and Taj websites. No mention of those limits. I called AmEx. They had never heard of the limits, and their reservations system indicated that the package included dinner and breakfast, less alcohol, tax and tip, just as the website indicated. I called the Taj to complain and, at their request, e-mailed them a screen shot of my reservation and the AmEx website, which reflected no limits.

The Taj broke off communication with me at that point, and started to communicate directly with AmEx. They sent AmEx a fax (later shown to me by AmEx) claiming that I had received all benefits to which I was entitled--without mentioning the e-mail I had sent proving just the opposite. AmEx also told me that the Taj reported that I had been informed of the limits at check-in. That was an expedient lie. (And since when can the Taj change the terms of an offer AFTER you have booked it and shown up at check-in? The whole thing reeks of dishonesty and sharp practice.)

Ultimately, AmEx credited me the difference, and apologized to me for the Taj's misconduct. The Taj has never apologized. As of today, the bogus offer is still on AmEx's website. One wonders how many people have been sucked in by this offer, then stiffed out of their free meals.

(To be fair, the non-management employees were really great. The food was excellent, our room was gorgeous, the restaurant management was superb. If the owners got new senior management, this would be a fine hotel. As it stands, it was the worst customer service experience I have had in a long time.)

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LarrySwanson

Reviewed 28 March 2010

We stayed at the Taj for 5 nights mainly for the fantastic location. The Arlington T stop is a block away and you can get anywhere using the T. The hotel is classy and clean. Our room was nothing fancy - just a normal room with a small bathroom. What made our trip was the club level room which was staffed with people intent on providing world class service. Brett and Maumud (sp?) became our friends after five days and were willing to do anything we needed to make our stay the best. They worked with the front desk to get us fabulous tickets to shows, gave us dining ideas, and answered most any question we had about Boston. All this while serving tasty snacks and drinks all day. Drinks in the club room make it worth the extra price. Wine in the bar downstars starts at about $12, so it doesn't take too many of those to make it up. The booze is top quality, but again, the service in the club room was the best we ever had. That being said, the doormen and wait staff in the bar were a bit standoffish, so we usually just headed upstairs. We will stay there for sure next time we're is Boston.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I booked two rooms at this hotel for my friend's 40th birthday. It was supposed to be a nice getaway for four girlfriends to celebrate a special birthday. We checked in to our rooms around 5:30 p.m. with plans to get ready for a special evening out. We had dinner reservations at 7 p.m. When we arrived in our rooms we found that the hotel had given us the wrong rooms. We had reserved two rooms with two queen beds in each. Instead our rooms each had one king. We called the front desk to let them know of the mistake and they said there were no other rooms available and there was nothing else they could do. We insisted that they find an alternative for us. The man at the front desk told me he was the manager and asked me to give him 5 minutes and he said he would call back. He did not call back for 10 min. I finally called him back. At that point he said again there was nothing he could do. Again - we insisted that he make some sort of adjustment for the mistake. He said he was busy and could I call back later??? To make a long story short - he eventually offered us two suites that still each only had king beds. We decided to take the option even though what we really wanted was the two beds in each room which we had reserved. We moved all of our luggage up to the 16th floor with no offer of help from the front desk. Upon arriving in our new rooms, we discovered that one of the suites only had a full-sized bed not a king or even a queen. So now we were worse off than before. We called the front desk and explained the situation and asked to go back to our old rooms where at least if we had to share beds, they were king size beds...and not full-sized. We were told that those rooms were no longer available. At this point, we were already late for our dinner reservation and had not had time to shower and change as we had planned. We complained to the guy who originally said he was the manager." He had the real manager call us back and this guy was no better. Instead of being apologetic and polite, he was very curt and not apologetic in the least. He asked us to explain the situation once again and had to nerve to admonish us for speaking quickly on the phone as we were rushing to try to make our dinner reservation. When I explained that the situation was making us late for dinner, the manager said I don't see how this bedding issue has anything to do with your lack of preparedness time!!!! Again I explained that we had been moving between rooms and have been on the phone with his staff for the past hour. At this point, we were about to loose our dinner reservation. We were already quite late. The hotel was quickly ruining a 40th birthday celebration for four moms who rarely have the opportunity to get away for an evening. Ultimately, the manager came up with another room that had a king bed so we had to move rooms yet another time. When it was all said and done - we were in FIVE different rooms. The hotel never apologized. The manager was very snooty and rude. To make matters worse, they charged my credit card with an additional $600 to cover any expenses that might have been incurred???? I called to question this and the hotel said they standardly run a $150 charge on a guest's card to cover any additional costs and that they then refund the charge if not used. In my case, they charged $150 X 4 -- four times for a total of $600.

This did not need to be a disastrous stay. All it would have taken would have been a little competency from the guy at the front desk who claimed to be the manager and some level of customer service from the real manager who had quite an attitude.

That said, the bellhops, valets and other service people were super nice and courteous. They could not have been more pleasant. Unfortunately, management was a nightmare.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank boston234
Reviewed 20 March 2010

We were here for a family trip. We had adjoining rooms, one was yellow the other green. The yellow room was a 6/10 nice decorations ok bed and a small bathroom. The green room was terrible the carpet was stained and it had the same furniture as our room but there were pieces missing? The service is where the hotel looses major points. When I stay in a 5 star hotel I expect certain things such a slippers with turndown, the ice bucket to be filled, new soap and fresh towels, and bottled water weather it is complementary or not to be replenished.All of theabove happened ..... but only sometimes, over our 5 night stay I think every night was different with some done some not. Finally the last negative was the food. I did not get to go to the rooftop cafe and the experience is supposed to be wonderful but the main level restraint was way overpriced for very basic, uncreative, small portions. The only positives were the location which is possibly the be best in boston and the view which is also spectacular.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank 11234tampa
Reviewed 15 March 2010

upon checkin, front desk couldnt find my reservation by my name until I presented my confirmation number (and only then it took a second front desk staffer to do so). When a fire alarm went off throughout hotel, guests who went to front desk were told they should evacuate "if alarm going off on their floor" (it was going off on all floors). I left a "please make up room sign on my door when left early in am, and upon arriving late at night found a note under door saying, "we respected your wishes not to disturb you," and did not make up room. room and "sleep quality" ratings low because of very thin walls, through which one could easily hear neighboring room.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank platinummedallion
Reviewed 10 March 2010

These guys are very inefficient. First I made a reservation which they confirmed but didn't know about 12 hours before my arrival date. Then they gave me a 5:00 am wakeup call when I hadn't asked for it. After I finished my stay I asked for a bill three times till I had to call them up to get my bill. 6 hours later I see I have been charged twice for the one-night stay. The administrative staff of this hotel needs to change. I've never had such bad service from a hotel.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Meghna80
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Just returned from a stay at the Taj....a great hotel to stay at!!..Great location..one block from subway(green line) which will take you most everywhere..also across from Boston Common and a short walk to Chinatown and a movie theatre. The rooms are top notch....very nice bed and TV...elegant room and bathroom...size of room is quite nice.
Nice exercise room and room for free computer use!!!
Would return again for sure!!!!

Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business