“A solid hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix Arizona
“A solid hotel”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Great location, nice rooms, good service, I had no real complaints.
Our party arrived early to check in, about 11am, but our two rooms were still not ready till 2pm, ahead of check in, but later than we would have perferred.

Also, their breakfast buffet is not your best option. We had it on the weekend with the expanded service (and price) to include an omlette station. The price is too high for what you get ($30 each I believe) and the food is rather bland. There are so many places to eat in Boston, go elsewhere.

On the other hand, Turner Fisheries was a delight! Excellent service and ambience, the food was wonderfully presented and tasty (although portions were rather small, seafood appitizers are not meant to be shared) and the price in line with other local restaurants.

The hotel bar was also quite nice. It was very lively each night of our stay and althought we went elsewhere for our entertainment we found ourselves stopping in for a nightcap on our way back to our room due to the atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Westin Copley Place...I was delighted to see that for the most part you were pleased. As you point out check in time is 3pm and we endeavor on every occasion to get guests in as soon as we can, but it all depends on the check out patterns of the previous night's guests and if we were sold out. Sorry to hear about the buffet...I will personally take a look at that tomorrow with an eye towards upgrading it...I cannot agree with you more about our Sustainable Seafood Restuarant, Turner Fisheries...we believe it to be the best in the city, and in fact were voted number one in Boston by City Search! Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (906)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights after a 4 night stay at the Hyatt Regency in Downtown Boston. Was in Boston attending two conferences.
The check in process here was efficient. I got the impression that it was a very busy hotel and that the room allocated to me was not ready at the time of check in. The receptionist did a bit of searching and found me a great room on a high floor - 2705.

The view is spectacular, don't get me wrong.

Upon entering the room there was an intense buzzing from the ventilator which soon disappeared with some tapping on the grille. However, the fan or whatever belt was used to power the fan sounded like a jet turbine whenever it came on, ie whenever it was working !

The floor supervisor happened to knock on my door and even open my door about 2 minutes after I entered the room - I gathered this unannounced entry was due to the fact that the front desk had randomly allocated my room and this woman did not realise it. She was very polite, a little bit flustered, but not in the least interested when I told her about the vent.

Being tired and extremely jet lagged despite staying in boston for 4 days prior, I decided to give the room a try and see how it went. The sound after all appeared to be confined in the entry hallway initially.

By the 2nd night the sound was a constant annoyance and I rang the service number who sent the engineer round during the day when I was out for the meeting. I returned to find that the sound was only slightly reduced and there were dust bunnies all over the room - a sign that the vent had been freed. I endured my last night with pillows over my head and the fan switched to a temperature that didn't come on frequently.

Another thing was the room was supposed to be newly renovated, but the entire shower apparatus on the wall kept coming off. The handle holds the tap and the chrome faceplate onto the wall and the handle itself was loose. This was rectified by the engineer though.

I had the opportunity to have breakfast in the hotel on my last morning, which was good. The maitre'd was very welcoming and efficient. All the staff were helpful overall. The gym was well equipped and extremely crowded come 6:30 in the morning.

Locationwise - I got bored from this location as the only attractions around the area are shops and the boston duck tours. I benefitted much more from the hyatt being close to all the happening places whereby food and touristy bits were much closer.

the overall feel from the hotel was that this is a nice hotel but the focus is on the numbers and they do not place enough emphasis on the upkeep and maintenance of the building. The side entryway from the lobby to the street had a revolving door which had a broken handle and was still not fixed when I left despite one day of the door being cordoned off with cautionery tape.

Only thing I have to say is I paid $100 more per night at the westin compared to the hyatt regency for a room half the size, and three times as noisy from the ventilation. Avoid room 2705 and stay here if you feel like paris hilton and are extravagant. Otherwise value for money awaits elsewhere.

Room Tip: High rooms facing the waterfront are good.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay in Boston. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations and I apologize for any inconvenience we casued you. I am not sure why the vent was so loud, but I am more concerned with the follow up or lack thereof from engineering and housekeeping...I will be sure to address this with both departments. The rooms have been recently renovated which inlcuded that shower head and spiget...again a lapse by the housekeeping department in not reporting it to be fixed. I am really surprised that you got bored by the location and thought the downtown location offered mre to do...perhaps we did not do a good job on directing you to the myriad of attractions close by. It would help me tremedously if I could speak to you a bit more about your experience. Perhaps if you had a moment you could reach out to me at michael.jorgensen@westin.com

Once again my apologies and I look forward to speaking soon.
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 4 June 2012

A stayed here for one night back in April to take a very stressful exam. Thankfully, the staff gave me no problems and made my stay as stress free as they could. Check in was quick, request for quiet room granted, late check out granted. Room was pleasantly large for a Boston hotel. Large flat screen, comfy bed, bathroom clean. Hotel is close to many nice restaurants, which the concierge pointed out in timely manner. Obviously, the hotel is on the more expensive side, but, especially in big city hotels, you get what you pay for. I WOULD stay here again and WOULD recommend it for business travelers. No comment on family stays since I was not in this mindset during my trip!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Westin Copley Place. I am delighted you decided to stay with us for your exam in Boston. We are very proud of the service levels provided by all our staff and recognizing the circumstances that each individual are up against. That truly is how we inspire, engage, and value every person, every day. I am delighted that everything worked our for you and once again thank you for your kind words. Please come back and visit soon.
chicago, il
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Have stayed at the Westin close to a dozen times over the years. It's solid for both personal and business trips. Rooms are big and always very clean. Great treatment of SPG's, one of the few places where the upgrade always happens, even without asking or pushing. As a Bostonian living somewhere else now, I can tell you there are few better locations in the city to stay. Within 20 minutes walking, you can pretty much be anywhere you want in the city. 5 minutes to tons of shopping, food and attractions. Consistent service. Too bad more Westin's don't have club lounges.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Westin Copley Place. I am delighted you decided to stay with us to attend to your business in Boston, and thank you for your continued support. We are very proud of the service levels provided by all our staff and we believe that sets us appart fromt he competition. Can't argue with the comment about location...we really are in the best location to do anything in Boston. We also feel like our SPG partners are truly our bread and butter and I am hapy to see that we are meeting your expectations for service and recognition...that does not deter us from providng the same service levels to those who have yet to sign up for SPG...it is well worth doing. Thanks once again and please come back and visit soon.
Reviewed 3 June 2012

The hotel is located in a super location. Few steps from the hotel there is a cool
shopping mall. The hotel is very good and in line with Westin standards.

• Stayed May 2012
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Westin Copley Place. I am delighted you decided to stay with us while in Boston. Being attached to the Copley and Prudential Malls as well as the Hynes Convention Center allows us to boast that we are 72 degrees year round which serves well through out the winter months or rainy periods. Thanks once again and please come back and visit soon.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 3 June 2012

The Westin Copley Place is a very comfortable and fresh hotel for business travelers. The service at the Front Desk is excellent and accommodating. The Bar 10 restaurant and lounge also has fantastic service, drinks and meals. The proximity to Hynes Convention Center through the mall walkway is a nice 10 minute walk in the morning where you do not have to incur any inclimate weather/rain. The Westin beds are as always, amazing and the Fitness Center is beyond clean and large.

Room Tip: Request a room on the Southeast end of the hotel and you can get a great view of Fenway when the Red...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Westin Copley Place. I am delighted you decided to stay with us to attend to your business in Boston. Bar 10 does have a fun "Vibe" and the service is better than you would get at a free standing bar. In fact we are very proud of the service levels provided by all our staff and the Front Desk is no exception. Being attached to the Copley and Prudential Malls as well as the Hynes Convention Center allows us to boast that we are 72 degrees year round which as you point out serves well through out the winter months or rainy periods. Thanks once again and please come back and visit soon.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2012

The location is fabulous near Newbury Street plus the beds at the Westin are super comfortable. Get the buffet breakfast if included is quite delicious. You won't need to eat for hours. Boston is a vibrant city. Went on Travac Tours...excellent tour.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra R
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Westin Copley Place. I am delighted you decided to stay with us for your trip to Boston. Can't argue with the comment about our great location...truly the best in the city...central to everything you need. Great advice on the breakfast buffet in Huntington...it really is very nice and certainly filling. Thanks once again and please come back and visit soon.