“Close, but no cigar” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Concord, New Hampshire
“Close, but no cigar”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

I recently stayed at the Westin Copley in Boston, MA while visiting family for Thanksgiving. I stayed in a Junior Suite (Room 1001). Things got off to a negative start at check-in as when I made my reservation, I was told I would have a room on a high floor. The 10th floor is not a high floor, in my opinion. Upon entering the room, I was definitely impressed with the size of the room and the view, despite not being higher up. Let me start with the good before I finish with the bad. The view was spectacular, the room was neat, and it may have had the most comfortable bed that I have ever slept on. Also, the staff was very friendly. Unfortunately, I have more bad comments. The desk in the room was so wobbly that it was un-useable. The bathroom is tiny, outdated, and I find it hard to believe that a hotel charging this much a night still has a shower/tub combo with a shower curtain. It did have a nice shower head but it was useless since the water pressure was so weak. The door in the bathroom is worn, weathered , and generally not in great shape. I had an issue with the TV reception the entire stay. I arrived on a Wednesday and noticed it but did not notify the front desk. Thursday morning it was so bad that I couldn't even watch it so I called the service number. A gentleman came up , did a few things behind the tv and said he had to reset the satellite. The reception never got any better. The noise wasn't a problem here but it is a tad annoying that the doors slam when closing, so you hear that in the hall. I expect that at an economy hotel when I travel on business but did not expect that here. One other troubling note was that there is no security with regards to the elevators to the guest rooms. Anyone can walk in and go to any floor without a room key. One final issue was the morning of check out , it took forever to get a guest services rep on the phone to answer a question that I had. I don't think all of these negatives are a big deal , individually, but add them all up over a 3 day/2 night stay and it impacts your overall experience. Add in the hefty rates, and I would say that the experience was average at best. I am not likely to recommend this hotel to anyone unless they had a super-cheap deal.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this review, 28 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston. We cannot agree with you more on the location and view. Central to everything you need to do in Boston.

I am sorry to hear that the desk in the room was not up to par...more disturbing considering the were all brand new as of April...We do not allow access to the guest floors without a key after 11pm...the bathroom while a bit on the small side is appointed with typical Westin Heavenly shower appointments, and the shower curtain is a Brand Standard.

Once again thank you very much, and please accept my apologies for the misses you encountered. Your selection of The Westin Copley Place is very much appreciated. I realize you had many choices for hotels within the city, and I am grateful for your business.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family again the next time you visit Boston.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (886)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Redwood City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

Hotel has nice rooms that have great views of the city. You'll find on location restaurants, shopping, bars, business center, large lobby, fitness center and good service. The location is 1-block from a subway station allowing you to get around the city easily and affordable. The neighborhood has many good restaurants, attractions and shopping. I would choose this hotel again for my next visit to Boston.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Once again thank you very much. Your selection of The Westin Copley Place is very much appreciated. I realize you had many choices for hotels within the city, and I am grateful for your business.

Metuchen, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

I was there for a sales meeting. The location is excellent. We were able to use the shopping tunnels to have lunch. My room had a great view of the river.. My room was clean.
The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Brian E

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

Like all Westin Hotel, this is an excellent choice. More importantly, it is within walking distance of the Boston Common, the Freedom Trail and two shopping malls. Many good restaurant nearby. The view from the hotel rooms is spectacular. Would have rated all categories five except for the idiot next door who kept slamming his door all night long. We heard his every coming and going.... Still I wouldn't let that keep me from going back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Elmira, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

Typical big name hotel in downtown Boston, MA. Didn't really find anything to "write home about" but it was OK. Room clean, convenient, connected to the downtown shopping "tunnels" and sights. Was there for a conference and the facilities reminded me of most of the other conferences I've attended.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston. I wihsh we had done more to "Wow" you. That is really what we strive to do with every encounter and obviously we missed on this opportunity.

Bethany, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

A big, business friend facility with good access to many local attractions around Copley Square. Staff was friendly and efficient.
Rooms are spacious and modern. Mine had a great view.
Shopping galleria is integrated off of the lobby area and connects though internal passages all the way to the convention center.
Breakfast buffet could have been a bit wider in selection.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DavidPF80

georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

Stayed here for a conference. The room is nice enough but elevators get crowded and slow. Staff is very helpful and friendly. Easy access to Copley Place, the Prudential Building, and downtown Boston. Make sure to have a drink in the lobby bar at The Fairmont accross the street. Rooms are a good size and free internet everywhere is a plus! Choices for food in the restuarant are sparse, but it is so close to so many restaurants it is irrelevant. The Hancock observatory closed down 9/11 this year - but the Prudential Observatory is fine. Go first to get a lay of the land.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business