“Continued excellent service, but lobby under renovation”

The Westin Copley Place, Boston
Ranked #29 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I've been staying at the Westin for the past five years and continue to receive great service. Location is great --- right at Copley Square, so easy access to Boylston and Newbury streets, Green Line, etc. More importantly, the hotel is connected to the Prudential Mall, allowing indoor access to shopping and a number of fine restaurants. Beds are comfortable, pool and workout facilities are in good condition. Breakfast buffet very high quality.

Note, however, that the lobby is under renovation and completely closed. The registration desk is now in the restaurant/bar. The hotel has done a good job managing this, but nevertheless there is no lobby.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Daniel G
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston. We cannot agree with you more on the location. Central to everything you need to do in Boston.

Thank you also for your comments on the staff and the service...we are very proud of all of our staff and your comments are very rewarding...I will be sure to share this with the staff. We are 10 days away from completing the lobby renovation and as you point out I think have done a good job of managing any potential disruption...we did convert Bar 10 into the Front Desk and our lobby...similar to a W "Living Room" which turned out kinda fun!

Once again thank you very much. Your selection of The Westin Copley Place is very much appreciated. I realize you had many choices for hotels within the city, and I am grateful for your business.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again the next time you visit Boston.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,035)

Reviewed 23 January 2013

I was in Boston for just one night for a conference in the Hynes Convention Center. As it was in the single digits outside, I was thrilled to discover that I could get to the convention center from the Westin Copley Place without having to go outside! I got a great rate through the conference, and was really impressed with the hotel. The front desk and concierge staff were friendly and helpful. My room was huge, and I had a great view of the city skyline and the river. I though the furnishings were really high end, and the muted color scheme was perfect for relaxing after a long day at the conference. The bathroom, especially, was very spa-like, with great products. One thing I noticed, but wasn't able to take advantage of since my stay was so short, was that for just $5, they'll outfit you with New Balance workout clothes and shoes (very nice if you're on a short trip and don't have space for workout clothes in your suitcase). Possibly this is something standard now, but I hadn't seen it before. If I had been staying longer, I definitely would have made use of the service. One small inconvenience was that the internet was very slow. If it had been free, I wouldn't complain, but at $12.95/day, I expect to be able to get some work done without being bumped off every few minutes. Overall, I had a great stay with the Westin, and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 January 2013

I spent a night here for business. The room was comfortable and well appointed with the room pretty new compared to other westin hotels that I have visited. There's not much to complain about this place at all. There's nothing surprising about this place either. Westin is a Westin globally and that's why people go for it..because they know what to expect. The only issue I had was that the staff was extremely slow in responding to your requests -- my key wasn't working upon check-in..it took the staff 15 mins to bring the new key to my floor and open the door for me.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
AlyssaFl, Manager, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear Jumeirah_queen,
We appreciate your comments about your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We apologize for the delay in getting a new key delivered to you after checked-in. I can safely say that this is not indicative of the level of service we have prided ourselves on nor that with which you have come to expect from a Westin. We will look into this with our Front Desk team.
We hope to see you again at The Westin Copley Place very soon.

Reviewed 18 January 2013

For the last three years my wife and I have stayed here for 3 nights prior to heading to a family member's home in Boston for Christmas.

This trip we were upgraded to a high floor great view room. Very comfortable and quiet.
We actually returned for an additional night prior to our leaving Boston, and we were upgraded to a corner room, with magnificent views, a sofa and great layout.

With the shopping mall attached to the hotel, we were able to sample some great chowdah at Legal Seafoods, and do a little shopping at Vineyard Vines. Great location and comfort. We look forward to Christmas 2013.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Jim90068,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay at The Westin Copley Place and for making us part of your holiday traditions. We are thrilled that you had a nice stay with us and were able to enjoy some shopping and dining in the mall connected to the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again next Christmas!

Reviewed 17 January 2013

Typically this hotel has been out of my budget range at $350 to $400 a night but January is a slow time so the rates were more reasonable. We were upgraded to one of their corner rooms which was very large and well appointed with plenty of room to entertain a few friends with drinks before going out. The Westin Copley is less than a five minute walk to Newberry street where you'll find great shops from high end designers to H&M. It's also attached to a mall so if shopping is your thing this is a great choice. We could see the finish line (it's permanently marked in the road) for the Boston marathon from our room. The train station is also just steps away as are a myriad of restaurants no matter your tastes. As with many Westins the beds really are heavenly and this one also features their heavenly showers- always a nice extra. The staff were helpful and very friendly and the hotel generally gives you a feeling that the management team knows what they are doing.

Room Tip: Rooms high up will have a great view and if possible get a corner room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
AlyssaFl, Manager, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

Dear Jwigg2,
Thank you very much for your comments about your stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Boston and were pleased with your room upgrade and the location of our hotel as well as our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Copley Place soon!

Reviewed 14 January 2013

We stayed at the Westin Copley Place 2 nights at New Years's Eve. The objective was to be well located for the First Night event on Copley Square. We also wanted to park the car and walk to visit the city and go at the show we had made reservation for. The location was 100% perfect. We were extremely pleased with the cleanliness of the hotel and the staff. The only down side thing is the internet access that we have to pay for.....it is strange that the more chic is an hotel, the more we have to pay for services. When sleeping at Best Western for 1/3 of the cost you are entitle to free internet access and a breakfast on top of that!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room for the view
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
AlyssaFl, Manager, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

Dear Spyder1867,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review about our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found it easily accessible to walk around the city during the First Night festivities. Thank you also for your comments regarding Internet fees. We do an extensive review of other hotels in the Back Bay area regarding their Internet charges and we do have comparable fees with these hotels.

We very much appreciate your stay with us and hope to see you again soon at The Westin Copley Place.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

After some problems with the phones and communication systems in the room, the staff was exceptionally helpful in solving the problem with a terrific up-grade and amenities. Stephen Sarah and Brendan certainly went out of their way to redress the problems and ensure that we were more than pleased with the hotel and the services provided.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2013

Happy New Year and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston.

Thank you also for your comments on the staff and the service...I am happy to see that while we may have had some issues that presented themselves in the beginning, we were able to address them and subsequnetly follow up to make sure that we mitigated them to your satisfaction. We fully realize that when dealing witht he human element you are bound to make mistakes, but it is how you deal with those mistakes that will take you to the eventual outcome of a zero defect product.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family again the next time you visit Boston.