“Great location, very nice rooms, friendly staff, very pricey”

The Westin Copley Place, Boston
Ranked #30 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Frisco, Texas
“Great location, very nice rooms, friendly staff, very pricey”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

In general, we love Westin properties and have stayed in several. The Westin Copley Place did not disappoint. It has a fabulous location from which we could walk to most attractions within Boston. For the times when we wanted to use the T, there are two nearby stops on both the Green and Orange lines. If you have not used Boston's T before, you should check with the concierge first thing for tips to shorten your learning curve. Additionally, there are always taxi's (including minivans) waiting out front which was extremely convenient.

Just to give you an idea of how great this location is, we walked from a Saturday night Red Sox game at Fenway Park back to the hotel without any trouble. On another day, we walked to Boston Common and then picked up the Freedom Trail walking all the way over to the USS Constitution (we did take a cab back to Beacon Hill just to save time). Having lived in Dallas all my life, I did not fully understand just what the term "walkable city" really meant. You would be crazy to rent a car and try to drive around downtown Boston. (It is nearly impossible to do without a car in Dallas....).

Aside from the location, we had good experiences with every staff member we interacted with. The hotel is decorated very nicely. Our junior suite worked very well for me, my wife, and our two teenage boys. Our view from the 16th floor was pretty awesome even though we were on the side that looked down at the Back Bay train station instead of the Charles river.

The hotel's main eating spot is called Huntington's during the day and Bar10 at night. We visited the restaurant in Bar10 mode twice and loved it -- great food, drinks, and atmosphere. You shouldn't spend much time there though, because there are literally a hundred dining options within a square mile of the hotel. The concierge had a map ready for us showing all of restaurants in the immediate area. The desk drawer in the room also had a couple of booklets detailing all the sites/restaurants around Boston as well. If you don't want to read, Channel 54 on the TV had a continuously looping program on Boston that we found informative.

The only complaint I have applies to any hotel in this area: it is outrageously expensive! We knew that going in of course, so no big surprise. Not having to rent a vehicle off-set that cost a little, but our total bill for 4 nights in a junior suite exceeded $2000 after Taxachusetts got it's cut... That was just room rate and taxes -- we did not charge anything else to the room.

If you want to visit Boston (you should because it's awesome!) and you have the monetary means, you would be hard pressed to find a better hotel than the Westin Copley Place.

Room Tip: We were on the 16th floor, but I wish we had been higher up for an even better view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
JohnWedig, Manager at The Westin Copley Place, Boston, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for the great review, we really appreciate it and are thrilled that you really enjoyed your time with us. Please come back again. We are constantly working to show value to our guests and try our best to be as comprehensive as possible and to provide personalized attention to make their stays extra special. Thank you again, please come back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (906)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is ideally located in Boston with lots of great dining choices within easy walking distance. We were warmly received and checked into a room with a great city view. When we checked in we were asked if we knew and wanted to participate in their green initiative meaning that the room would not be cleaned nor towels replaced during our stay. Fancying myself an environmentalist of sorts we agreed to do so, not being swayed by the generous assignment of 500 Starwood points. This was a mistake. Though we spent very little time in the room there is nothing green about allowing garbage of any kind, ours was minimal, to accumulate in a room. We were told they would provide clean towels if we requested them. We made this request and left our old towels near the entrance of the room thinking they would remove them when they replaced the old towels. We were wrong as the old towels were sitting in a pile where we left them. This "green" initiative seems to be nothing more than a ploy to enable the hotel to reduce operating costs and providing guests a far lower quality of services. Hard to imagine we would ever return here or to another member of this chain.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SBPCPA
Your feedback is very valuable, thank you. Our green guests normally enjoy the program very much, it usually runs flawlessly but it sounds like you ran into a training issue. We are glad that you enjoyed our location, dining choices and views... we are very proud of our product and location, and our team works very hard at providing great service. I will share your comments with our housekeeping team. I would love to discuss more details with you about your experience with us, please feel free to give me a call or email John.Wedig@Westin.com. Thanks again.
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stepped into the bustling Westin reception area on a weekend (end of June). It was an effective, efficient check-in desptie the crowds - what I did find strange was that the single line for gold/platinum Starwood members was longer while some of the other stations had no lines and staff were milling about.

The hotel ambiance is typical of a hotel attached to a mall, and the room was a good size with river views. The bathrooms were small, and the rain shower (in a tub) appeared to be an afterthought and was cramped. This is a pity given the overall footprint of the room.

Service in the bar downstairs was abysmal, where I had to go and fetch a menu by myself while wait staff had a disinterested air about them. The drinks mixed up by the bar tender were average (the coriander and cucumber concoction was unpalatable) mitigating circumstances (the World Cup matches were being screened) notwithstanding.

Room service did go the extra mile in spite of my orders (on 2 nights) being placed at closing bell. The pizza was great!

I would stay here again for the convenience of its location (Copley Mall attached and close to Newbury St), but I would venture elsewhere were I looking for a superlative hotel experience.

Room Tip: Higher floors with river views are quieter - I believe they have also been refurbished more recently...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank you very much for your feedback, I will share it with our team. We are glad you loved our room service, pizza, location, rooms size and product. We recently did make several changes in our Bar10 area and feature new cocktails, new food menus and new members of our team. I'm glad to hear that you find us convenient enough to come back and hope that you do, I would love to hear a comparison of your findings. Thanks again, John.Wedig@Westin.com
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Location and the Westin reputation is why I chose this hotel, and I was even more pleasantly surprised. It was extremely convenient to the area we wanted to explore. We arrived early before our room was ready and our bags were held and magically placed in our room before we opened the door. The bed was divine! So comfortable and the bed linens were truly luxurious. The room was very clean and spacious. Sometimes we could hear people in the hallway which surprised me because I expected better soundproofing. A walkway connects to a mall and trough the mall to Prudential Center. Wifi was very pricey. Free wifi was available in the lobby, but it was extremely slow and spotty.

1 Thank Transplant_Texan
Thanks very much for the feedback, we are glad you had a great stay. We get a lot of comments about our prime location and our heavenly beds and are thrilled that you had opportunity to enjoy them. Our technology upgrades are impressive and they are nearly complete so when you return I am sure that you will appreciate that too. Please come back soon!
Phuket
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for one night with the family before on our way to New York. The rooms are spacious with 2 queen beds enough for 2 adults and 2 kids. The breakfast experience was pleasant, service was very attentive and a good variety was offered. The hotel set up and decoration is very basic a bit clinical in my opinion and I was a bit surprised that I could not find anybody on the front desk to check us in when we arrived only few minutes later one gentleman appeared than a lady came from the back office!!!

Stayed July 2014
Thanks very much for the information! It is nice to hear that you and your family enjoyed breakfast, our sun drenched breakfast restaurant with it's city street views and lavish buffet is very popular. Our guest rooms are more spacious than most, so we certainly appreciate your recognition of that as well. The lobby spaces are newly renovated and our front desk staff are usually "spot on" so i would like to learn more about your thoughts and experiences. Please feel free to contact me, and I hope that you will stay with us again. John.Wedig@Westin.com
Ft. Worth, Tx
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here 3 nights and found this to be a large hotel with very nice large rooms, comfortable beds, clean, very helpful friendly personal, breakfast nice but if not complementary, very expensive, but I am from a small town. The only complaint is that elevators were slow and we had a difficult time in finding our way around.. Good location

Room Tip: I like the lower floors
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the great feedback, we are really glad that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. We get a lot of comments on our location and are glad you could take advantage of that. Your feedback is important, we are installing a new digital signage system that provides great directional information not only within the hotel but within the city! Please come visit us again!
Shawnee, Kansas
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed several days at this hotel for a family event and it was wonderful. All of the staff were very attentive and helpful. The room was clean and provided a wonderful view of a great city. The hotel location is great as well. It is just a 1 block walk to either of two "T" stations which will get you all around the city. In addition it is across the street from the Boston Public Library, which deserves its own review and rating. Shopping is extremely convenient. This is just an overall outstanding place to stay!

Room Tip: The higher the room the better the vista and views of a great city. I think rooms on the east side...
Green Features: I appreciated the "green" practices at this hotel and the fact the hotel "rewarded" you for being "green" was a large bonus!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the great feedback, we are thrilled that you had a wonderful stay! Thanks again!