“Style over very over-priced substance”

Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor
Ranked #30 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Style over very over-priced substance”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I'm resident here at the moment. After trekking up and down every damn floor for a vending machine that had water in it. There is water in the room, oh yes at $5 a pop, it's $2.50 in the vending machine, I tried seven before I found one with water in. The location is great if you like a view of an airport, it's actually a really good view if you like runways. I have a cracking view of them all taking off and landing. They actually supply you with earplugs (I've yet to work out if these are complimentary...oh actually according to the card they are...but probably doesn't include sales tax). Jamie wanted a coke, but after doing the nine floor shuffle I was unable to find a vending machine that actually took dollar bills.

The room itself is no different to the previous six we've stayed at in Holiday Inn's. It doesn't have a fridge, it doesn't have a safe, I've yet to check if it has running water but expect there to be some sort of metering device on it.

This room was booked with free 'wi-fi', the wi-fi will cost you $12.95 plus tax, at an appalling speed and very limited bandwidth cap, you can pay $19.95 plus tax for a 'premium version' which I'm sure is equally awful.

Then the car parking. I thought San Francisco was pricey, but at least that was at the top of a hill in the centre of town, this one will cost you $37 a day and is in the end of nowhere next to a taxi parking lot.

Location, well, it is right next to the airport, and I mean if it had a balcony it would need air traffic clearance. You need to take a taxi into town or the water taxi. If it's a nice evening then take the water taxi, it does have great views. It does finish at ten though so you need to get a normal taxi back which will cost you another $20.

If you get a room on the harbour side you are in luck as you will get good views.

Sorry, I've never been so disappointed in a hotel in my life since I stayed in a very dodgy B&B in Hammersmith about twenty years ago. We've spent the last two weeks travelling from Los Angeles to New York, I was going to leave all the hotel reviews until I got back, but I was just so irate about this one.

I've got one more night to stay, but tempted just to check out tomorrow and go somewhere else and lose the money.

Sorry all we want really is wi-fi that doesn't cost more than a months line rental and a bottle of water. I do not require baby shampoo, bath soap, coffee condiment kit, coffee cups, coffee package (decaf/regular), comb, cotton balls, Deodorant, hair brush, hair spray, hand lotion, hand soap, laundry bag, lint mitt, make-up remover wipes, mouthwash, nail polish remover wipes, razor, sanitary products, sewing kit, shampoo, shaving cream, shoe horn, shoe mitt, shower cap, shower gel, slippers, tea package, toothbrush, vanity kit, wine opener, woolite (what on earth is that?), all of which you offer complimentary...

It's also nice to see that you will loan me a yoga mat....I can sit on that and pray for a wi-fi signal.

Incidentally we ended up using a roaming data connection, even with it's outrages fee's it was still cheaper than this hotels.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tim-Jamie
Michael H, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay. It is through comments such as yours that allow us to be able to improve ourselves. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations and that you experienced trouble with the internet, soda machines and the lack of amenities in the room such as a safe. We will be undergoing a room renovation later this year that will take care of some of the issues you mentioned in your review. If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail please contact me anytime at michael.hickey@hyatt.com or by phone 617-568-1234. If your travels bring you back to the Boston area again, I hope you would consider giving us a second chance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel for two days.
Service: The service was impeccable. We received detailed instructions going to and from the city. The front desk service was great and very friendly. The staff went out of their way to be available for their guests.
Accessibility: Everything in terms of visiting Boston is easily accessible. We took the water taxi and it was fantastic. I don't know if it was great timing on our part, but every time we needed to get to and from downtown, a water taxi was there waiting for us. We had a rental car but I would strongly recommend on not driving into town. Once you take a small trip from the hotel via the shuttle to the T or water taxi, you can access anything by foot.
Facilities:The gym was small, clean and quaint. The building inside and out was very clean, classy and well kept.
Dining: We dined for dinner and the server accidentally brought us something we did not order but they quickly retrieved my meal. The clam chowder was excellent. We also ate their for breakfast and the eggs benedict is amazing. Highly recommend eating at their restaurant. After dinner, you can go outside and sit by the fire and gaze at the picturesque views.
Rooms: We reserved a King bed room with a view which over looks the business district of Boston on the 12th floor. It was gorgeous. I would highly recommend getting a room with a view. Its worth the extra money. You could sit in the room all day just for the views alone. The downfall is that there was black mold in the shower and stains on the bed dressing. In that regard, we would expect more cleanliness for the amount of money we paid.
All in all the experience was great. The service certainly made up for any downfalls that we encountered during our stay. Thank you.

Room Tip: Highly recommend getting a room with a view of Boston
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Milton, Georgia
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed one night at the Hyatt in May 2014. Hotel is right on the harbor and if you are lucky enough to get a harbor front room take as many as pictures of Boston as you can. Room was nicely appointed and very clean and fresh. Bed is the upgraded Hyatt version and very comfortable. Ordered room service and wow! Great choice and outstanding food. Will return if and when I am back in Boston!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank goliathtn
Green Bay, WI
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Pros: Food including meeting room food was really good. Cost was not cheap but probably in line for a Hyatt hotel of this reputation. Really nice view of downtown Boston and busy harbor.

Cons: My room was nice with interesting view of airport but rather close to being ready for a refresh, at least by Hyatt standards. The hotel takes the idea of economizing on supplies about as far as you can: 1 bath towel, 2 wash clothes and 2 hand towels, no bath mat, 1 regular & 1 decaf coffee, no stir stick in with the coffee condiments. Free shuttle to the airport but shuttle driver not clear at all at where he was dropping people off at the airport - I ended up having to catch another shuttle bus to get to the right terminal. Just missing little things that you would expect from a really great hotel.

Room Tip: Might ask for upgrade to Harbor view room if not too expensive.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. I am sorry to hear about the "little" things that you felt were missing from your stay. I agree with you and have forwarded your comments to the appropriate departments so they may address these issues with their staff. I truly appreciate your comments and I hope if your travels bring you back to the Boston area you might give us a second chance.
Hicksville, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2014

LOCATION: This hotel is right next to the airport, and a long distance from downtown Boston. There is nothing near the hotel to walk to, but the hotel shuttle runs constinually.

FOOD AT THE HOTEL: There is a one restaurant and a bar area. The restaurant has decent food. There’s a nice looking breakfast buffet but its $25 per person. There is no coffee shop. There is a coffee maker in the room with cheap tasting coffee and powered creamer. The restaurant has coffee for $4 or latte for $4. I got the latte and it was really good.

SAM ADAMS BREWERY TOUR: We took the hotel shuttle to the Blue Line subway and transferred to the Orange Line and then walked a short distance to the brewery. Highly recommend the fun tour. We then took the provided trolley to Doyle's restaurant which was very crowded, but the food was good and fast. We then walked 5 minutes to the Orange Line subway station to get back.

THINGS TO DO NEAR THE HOTEL: Nothing. The hotel runs a shuttle around the clock. It will take you down to the Blue Line subway station, and then you take the Blue Line subway to the Aquarium stop which is right downtown by the Market and nearby the Freedom Trail. However, there is nothing near the hotel within easy walking distance. No coffee shops, no donut shops, no bars or restaurants, nothing. The hotel has no pool. It has a small fitness room with treadmills and weight machines. There is a short walking path next to the hotel but I wouldn’t consider it safe.

There is nothing to do in or near the hotel. I wish our conference was downtown instead of at this hotel. The hotel is nice. The location is bad.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I've been to this hotel several times. The hotel is up to date, and the area keeps getting better and better. The theatre district is vibrant and filled with new restaurants. Chinatown is adjacent. Boston is a great city and this Hyatt is one of your best bets. Easy to get around from here. Additionally, the GM and staff are highly professional.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms in this hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DoctorRetired
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My friend and I stayed here over Marathon weekend. Our room overlooked the Harbor and it was a beautiful view. We had no issues with any noise. The staff was helpful though at times it seemed like no one communicated with each other. The wait time for the shuttle seemed very long at times considering the T station was not that far away.

Our biggest issues were 1) the wifi signal did not reach our room on the 14th floor and 2) we never got the fridge we requested and were told we would receive. The staff kept telling us they had a fridge shortage because of the marathon. We understand that, but when we called and requested a fridge they should have notified us that it was not a guarantee instead of ensuring us we would have one. We would not have brought perishable food if we had known it was not guaranteed. The hotel allowed us to store our food in the guest services fridge, but our soy milk kept disappearing.

Overall, our stay was fine, but we expected more coming from a Hyatt especially considering the cost. I stayed at a Red Roof Inn Plus a few days ago and I honestly think they were better then the Hyatt.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Flyaway1987AAM
Michael H, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear about your experience, specifically with the fridge request and the wifi signal. You can be assured your comments will be reviewed with the appropriate department managers so we can address these issues from happening again. I certainly hope if your travels bring you back to the Boston area you will consider staying with us to allow us a second chance.