“Should have been a better stay, but execution details left me with a bad experience”

Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor
Ranked #28 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel has a wonderful view of the Boston skyline across the harbor. The shuttle staff was outstanding and in general the property is maintained. It is convenient to the airport and the T gets you downtown in 2 very short stops.
However, there are a number of issues that prevent me from rating it better.
First, when I book 2 rooms for King beds with harbor views and it is confirmed it is not good to tell me on arrival that there is only 1 King room available with a harbor view.
Next the room I received included internet/WiFi. But Room 811 (or 813, 810, 812) are in the middle of the building so there is no reliable/stable WiFi signal. The solution recommended was to stand next to the door or in the hall and get a signal, then go back into the room. That was not reliable or convenient.
The ice bucket was never emptied over the course of 4 nights, after going to the front desk and bringing it to their attention.
In addition, the glasses (and they were glasses, not cups) were not replaced each day or removed and not replaced. Again, this was noted to the front desk.
The rooms are quiet to exterior (outside of the hotel noise). You hear everything inside the hotel. the elevator ding, the ice machine, the neighboring rooms, hall traffic, etc.
Finally, there are limited and pricey food options in the hotel and nothing nearby.
All in all, for the price of the rooms the execution of details is lacking and should be considered if looking to book this location. I was disappointed that after repeated attempts to call attention to details there was not change in the service level. I would probably consider another property for future visits.

Room Tip: Don't get a room in the middle. Request one on the far end from the elevators to insure WiFi si...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank wgainey
Michael H, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Hello, thank you so much for taking a moment to write a review about your stay. I am disapointed to hear of your experience and please be assured I have sent your review to the appropriate department managers for review. If you would like to discuss your stay in further detail. I am available at anytime at 617-568-1234 or my email michael.hickey@hyatt.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,597)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I called Hyatt after I had to deal with a bad service at Hilton. I called Matt Stewart that I am a platinum member and I just need them to hold a bag for me just a few hours. He has a really good service mind and told me to come anytime. THAT's what i'm talking about great service!! I guess I'll be switching to stay at Hyatt more just because of this.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank opalka90

Hello, thank you so much for taking a moment to write a review. I am delighted to hear we were able to accomnodate your bags. We always strive to accomodate any needs that our guests may have. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We came to Boston for a family wedding that was being held at the Hyatt over the 4th of July weekend. We arrived July 3 to spend time with family and to sightsee. We were informed right away by the manager (via email) that as a hurricane was headed our way the fireworks were being moved to that night. It gave us time to plan a great night with our extended family and our new nephew's family. (Thanks Michael)! We had upgraded to an upper floor Harbour View room and it was worth every cent. Our room was clean, well appointed, comfortable and the view from the 15th floor was breathtaking. As I looked out the window the morning of July 4 we were met with the sight of the USS Constitution in full sale. A once in a lifetime event. Later (just before the rain) we took the water taxi and as we headed to Long Wharf we found ourself part of the Constitution's flotilla as it headed back to port....22 gun salute and all. We returned via water taxi water as the weather started turning ugly. I decided to avoid the weather that was heading our way and booked dinner at the hotel restaurant that night. Their chowder was awesome and was a staple while we were there including at the wedding. We love our chowder and their recipe we all agreed was great. I had a Lobster roll that night which was yummy also. Speaking of the weather although it stormed outside it was quiet and comfortable and when I saw how close the airport runway was I was shocked that we never heard jets. The wedding was beautiful, the weather cooperated so we had a beautiful sunset view at the start of the reception, food was very good, and the people who took care of us at the wedding and during our stay were always more than accommodating. We are going back for an overnight later this month and I can't wait. The shuttle was so convenient as was the water taxi. My only wish is that wifi will be included in the future.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for Harbour view, upper floor. Our floor was quiet and the view was amazing.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

If you are looking for a luxury hotel in Boston, or even a very nice hotel, don't be fooled into thinking that this hotel fits the bill because of the price. While commanding a price comparable with other high-end hotels in Boston, this hotel is dated and not clean. Immediately upon pulling up to this hotel we noticed how dated the hotel was. Also, while it is on the harbor, it is on the industrial side of the harbor, and immediately abuts the airport. We were able to see the FedEx plane coming and going - not what I was expecting! The lobby was muddy when we arrived, which was both odd and disappointing as it was not raining. Also, while the staff were all wonderful, we were disappointed by the lack of attention or interaction by the bartenders - particularly in light of the prices (over $10 for a Grey Goose and Club Soda). Our room was spacious and "updated," however, the bathroom was not clean. There were cup marks on the shelving behind the toilet, and the tissues were STUFFED into the holder (different colors, too, which made me question the cleanliness!). I love Hyatt hotels, I am a Hyatt Platinum card holder; however, this hotel was the most disappointing of all I have ever stayed in. For the price, stay at another hotel in Boston - others we have stayed at offer better amenities, and feel like the "luxury" you are paying for. I really hope that, as a Platinum cardholder (which also means I used 15,000 points for this experience!!), that Hyatt cares enough to contact me to discuss this.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels
Michael H, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. I would love to speak with you further about your experience. I can be reached at 617-568-1234 or email michael.hickey@hyatt.com

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed one night prior to a flight out of Logan.

Good location right next to the water taxi if you want to go into the city.

Rooms were fine, although our room had two double beds, which were a little too small for us. Hallway was a little noisy during the night.

We arrived after dinner and there was no place just to get a coffee or tea, but the hostess at the restaurant made us tea at no charge.

Shuttle runs every 15 minutes 24/7.

Added benefit. You are a 5 - 10 minute cab ride to Santarpio's in East Boston for the best pizza in the city.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel itself is beautiful, the view of Boston is fantastic! Although the hotel is non-smoking, my room smelled as though it had been a smoking room at one time. Other than the odor, my stay was great.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Hello and thank you for the taking a moment to write a review about your stay. I am sorry that your room smelled a little smoky, we have been a non smoking hotel for a number of years now. I will forward this information to the appropriate departments to make them aware. I am glad the rest of your stay with us was pleasurable.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stay at the new, ultra-quiet Hyatt Regency Logan Hotel on the airport side of the tunnels--thus avoiding traffic and any hassle or stress making your flight out. The rooms are new and well appointed. Quiet, but do include ear-plugs, just in case. And if the stirring views of Boston across the harbor motivate you to take a trip over to check it out--there is a water taxi right from the back of the hotel over to Long wharf.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends