“Food was good, service was subpar”

Morton's - The Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Morton's - The Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #175 of 3,243 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$60 - US$80
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Seaport District / South Boston Waterfront
Cross street: Northern Avenue & Seaport Lane
Transit: World Trade Center Silver Line
Boston
“Food was good, service was subpar”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I went here for our anniversary, and after being to several high end steak houses in Boston, we were anxious to try Morton’s.
My wife’s steak came out overcooked, which was promptly replaced with a correctly cooked one. After the correction, both of our steaks were delicious, but I was a bit surprised that a steakhouse could not get the temperature correct. Truth be told, my steak was also overcooked (I asked for medium and it came medium well) but it was still delicious and I didn’t bother saying anything. The sides were decent; however the twice baked au gratin potatoes had too many scallions, which overpowered the flavor of the dish. The head waiter and manager were both very friendly and helpful; however our waiter apparently did not go to the same school. Our waiter was loud and unprofessional, and appeared to be more interested in the larger tables than taking care of us. Our waiter mentioned four separate times that he was taking care of our desert since it was a special occasion (I think it was actually Morton’s that was taking care of it). We had no idea what he was even ordering for us, which was a bit odd I felt. After we finished eating dinner, we sat with dirty dishes in front of us for ten minutes, even though the waiter passed our table and saw the plates twice. I ended up having to ask the head waiter to clear the plates, as well as wife’s empty cocktail glass which had been empty on the table for about 20 minutes. Our waiter returned and made a comment to us explaining why he didn’t pick up the plates sooner, which made both of us feel very awkward. On a positive note, the gentleman who fills the water was very friendly, and our water glasses were never more than half empty.
The mystery desert finally came, and ended up being a Chocolate Soufflé. The Soufflé was rather bland and barely had a chocolate flavor, plus it had a gritty texture due to some of the sugar not being fully mixed. Since we were not paying for the desert, we didn’t bother to say anything, but it was a letdown regardless. Perhaps the waiter could have let us actually pick our desert, rather than trying to look like a hero and choose something for us. It’s a good thing we don’t have any food allergies! Similar to dinner, we again sat with dirty plates in front of us, even after the waiter delivered the bill. There ended up being an error on the bill which after bringing it to his attention, the waiter had it fixed, but I don’t like having to audit the bill. Oh and my wife’s overcooked steak was still on the bill, which I was a bit surprised about. Typically in nicer restaurants, if a mistake in cooking is made the restaurant will offer something more than just a replacement. I would never ask for a comp, and the steak ended up being delicious, however I was a little surprised at the level of service at this restaurant.
I honestly think that if we had a different waiter, our experience would have been better, but we were no so fortunate. That said I doubt we will be back to this Morton’s any time soon, due to the subpar service. There are far better steakhouses in Boston that have much better service.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank jefflikestravel

• Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Parents Day at Mortons Boston”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband and I wanted to celebrate an early Fathers day and late Mothers day so he made reservation at Mortons. We were greeted with great hellos and such a welcoming feel. It is expensive but if you go there you know that already. The food it just amazing. My husband had a bone in rib eye and I the mixed grill. They were cooked to perfection. So tender. Salads were wonderful and two sides that we shared. Our server was Pete and he knew the menu inside and out. He was attentive to our needs without being intrusive. The floor manager stopped by to ask if everything was to our liking and as we left we were asked again by the staff if it was we hoped for. Our evening to celebrate being parents was a memorible one. Oh two things: The lava cake we spilt with coffee, I have not words. It was delicious, warm with ice cream o my!! Also there is valet parking for $16 right outside the door. You can try for a meter but its almost impossible and the lots were the same or a bit more. You give the ticket to your server at the end of your meal and the car is waiting for you when you leave. Nice touch. We had a wonderful time.

• Visited June 2014
Glasgow, Kentucky
“Good food”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Great food. Sat at the bar and the bartender did a great job taking care of us even though he was very busy. Highly recommend while you are in the area.

Visited April 2014
Stow, Massachusetts
“Typical High End Steakhouse”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I visited recently for my son's college graduation dinner. The atmosphere was pleasant and the food was delicious. Most people in our party were very complimentary about their meals. The waitstaff were attentive the entire time. We had called ahead about one member of our party having a birthday and they made up a menu with her name on it, and provided her a complimentary dessert. Overall, my experience was as expected for a higher end steakhouse. Nothing more and nothing less.

Visited May 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
“Mortons Fix”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Our local Mortons was closed a few years ago and I loved the restuarant, now we can only go when we travel. Mortons in Boston is excellent, steak had excellent flavor and cooked to perfection. Atmosphere not overly stuffy and few well behaved children. Service prompt and very efficient, never an empty glass. Would highly encourage a visit.

• Visited May 2014

Been to Morton's - The Steakhouse? Share your experiences!