“mixed bag”

Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall
Ranked #48 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 May 2013

stayed at this hotel with my sister this past weekend (memorial day) for just one night. our arrival was delayed due to unforseen circumstances and we arrived just in time for dinner. the hotel recommended an excellent restaurant nearby & after a long dinner & a long day, i fell into bed exhausted. unfortunately, sleep eluded me, as my bed was vibrating! not sure how or why, but my sister's was not. i was too tired to pursue it & after a while i fell asleep, but it was weird. the rest of the room was great in all respects. we were on the top floor, but we had no view at all except another wing of the hotel right across from us. since we were only there for one night & were only in the room to sleep it didn't matter this time. breakfast was very good & all the staff we encountered were exceptionally nice & helpful. hotel was centrally located but on an oddly deserted street. clean, nicely furnished & decorated, i would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mamator
Brian_D_Martens, Manager at Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for writing about your stay. I'm delighted to hear that our team helpful and recommended a great restaurant to make the most of your limited time in Boston. Likewise, I'm glad you found the room well appointed and clean. I'm very concerned with your comment that your bed was vibrating in your top floor room. We've asked our engineering team to identify the cause and ensure it does not reoccur. We certainly hope that you will have more time to spend in Boston soon, and that we will see you back when you do.
bmartens@hiltonbostondowntown.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,102)

Reviewed 30 May 2013

This really is a great hotel. We were just a little puzzled as to why such a great place would have such awful furniture in the living room. It was dirty, beat up and the carpet was stained. Everything else was wonderful. The bedroom furniture was good and the beds amazingly comfortable. Thisw would be a totally top notch place with its wonderful staff if they would just update the furniture.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank William L

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write your review. I'm extremely glad to share the compliments on our team. We wholeheartedly agree that they are wonderful. I'm sorry to hear of the concerns with your room furnishings in your suite. We've are in the process of finishing a hotel-wide carpet extraction and shampoo. In addition, our team is starting to design new rooms with new furnishings in anticipation of a renovation. We do hope we will see you back soon.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

This is a lovely hotel in a good position. When we arrived the bellman got our cases out of the taxi and delivered them to our room which was great. It is a very plush hotel and the bedroom was very plush also. I've stayed in a Hilton Hotel in London and this was just as good as that one. We ate in the hotel 1 night as it was raining. We were disappointed with the meal it was very expensive my husband had a steak and I had shepherds pie but there was no vegatables only a load of mixed green salad.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 123doreen

Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to comment. I'm delighted that your found our hotel every bit as comfortable and well located as the Hilton in London. I'm sorry to hear that your meal was disappointing. We appreciate the feedback, and we've shared your comments with our chef. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

I stayed at this property for 4 nights and couldn't believe the kind of service I received from the staff. From the minute we arrived the bellmen opened our doors and offered their assistance guiding our way to the Front Desk. The lobby was beautiful with marble floors and gold plated elevators that exuded an elegant yet historic feel without showing any age to the property. We walked right up to the Front Desk to a smiling face as if she were waiting for us ( this is always the best kind of arrival experience) and she gracefully explained the hotel amenities and surrounding area attractions without us even asking.
By the way, we came to find out that there is no other place you'd rather be in Boston - it was right in the center of cobblestone roads and historic landmarks - walking distance from nearly everything you wish to see - Fanueil Hall, Boston Commons, Shopping, Restaurants, etc.

We booked a standard room but I was completely surprised to see a beautiful view of the city through 3 tall and large windows making the room bright and airy. The bathroom, carpet, lighting was all very much up to date and even better there was a very nicely sized fridge in the room we had (without request) to store any drinks/food throughout the week.

But what stood out to me the most is that every time you called down for something, such as my request for Q tips, after it was delivered we would receive a follow-up phone call from the same operator we spoke to confirming that we received our requested item. This is normally the kind of service you receive at 5-star luxury property and couldn't believe how this was done after every call I placed.

I have already been boasting about this property to my friends and family and will continue to do so. Thank you so much for your smiling staff and genuinely friendly service. It is very apparent a lot of hard work is done to make this hotel run wonderfully.

3  Thank etboy

Thanks for staying with us and for the wonderful comments on your stay. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your room--we are especially proud of the dramatic high ceilings in our rooms. Likewise, we're glad the location helped you make the most of your time in Boston. It's great to be walking distance to the Harbor, Faneuil Hall and Boston Common. Most importantly, we sincerely appreciate the comments on our team members that we are delighted to share.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

I do not stay at many Hilton properties, but this Hilton was in a great location. My friend and I were in town for the Phillies game, and this property is right downtown with easy access to many famous spots and easy access to the T (the subway system). I thought the breakfast was very average and expensive. We did not eat dinner there, but I imagine that would have been expensive as well. The room was definitely nice, and the service was very good. It also took them awhile to get our car when we checked out of the hotel (at least 30-35 minutes).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for commenting on your stay. We are very glad to hear that our location made it easy for you to get the attractions you visited in Boston, including Fenway Park via the T. Thank you for the helpful comments on your breakfast and the valet parking. We appreciate this feedback as we continuously look to improve our services. We hope you will continue to try Hiltons and that we will see you back at ours.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Perfect location for sight seeing in Boston. Convenient to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market/Long Warf/Hop On Hop Off Trolleys and several T-lines. Within walking distance from Boston South Amtrak Station. Easy to get to Symphony Hall but do allow enough time for the slooow Green Line. Our room was just what we needed. I did reserve using Hilton Honors Points and we had comped WiFi and continental breakfast. I was disappointed that there is no executive lounge at this location.

2  Thank ifiwereu

Thank you for staying with us and for your review. We couldn't agree more with your comments on our location. We're glad it enhanced your time in Boston. We sincerely appreciate that you chose to redeem your hard-earned Hilton HHonors points at our property. We do hope to see you on your next trip to Boston.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Given the rate charged, I was very disappointed. From a location perspective, this hotel is central to Fanuel Hall, the waterfront, etc. With that said, the service and amenities were disappointing. The breakfast buffet is expensive and not very good. The quality of the food items are lacking as is the wait staff. We had to wait a considerable time for the omelette chef to return to his station, as well, as ask our hostess to get our waitress so we could pay our bill. The room was clean, but incredibly warm. I had to run the cooling system continuously on high to keep the room cool and comfortable. On the final day of our stay we were without hot water. I had to call down to the front desk to be told it was "out" and there was no estimate as to a repair. It would have been nice to be notified without having to call. Even after I called down to the front desk the attendant didn't offer any type of understanding of the problem or apology. I cannot recommend this hotel. And I certainly won't be returning anytime soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Karey D
Brian_D_Martens, Manager at Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Thank you for the honest feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We did encounter an emergency issue with our steam supply that disrupted our hot water the morning of your departure. While it was repaired by 9:15 am, we completely understand how thus surprise event led to an uncomfortable and difficult morning. I apologize that our team didn't communicate better with you during the event. We were able to inform all our in house guests via a letter and departed guests for whom we had an email on file that the issue was permanently resolved. Our team has since installed additional redundancies to ensure this same issue cannot reoccur. Thank you for helpful feedback as well on the breakfast service. We know that exceptional service and a problem-free stay are the cornerstones of a pleasant experience. We hope you will stay with us the next time you return to the area so we may show you the complete quality experience you expect and deserve.