“Quiet room, good location, good wifi, hotel could use some updates”

Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall
Ranked #53 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Quiet room, good location, good wifi, hotel could use some updates”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

My two important factors for a business trip are a quiet room and good Wi-Fi. The room was big and the condition was good, not great and it definitely could use some updating since it's a bit dark and dated. The room service food tasted great, although I can never understand the service charges in hotels ($8 here, $4 other places, $12 somewhere else). My interaction with the staff was mixed - I called to ask for a toothbrush and toothpaste, but no one brought anything up on the first call. The second call, someone came up in 5 minutes with toothpaste and a regular toothbrush, which is a rarity.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Started badly with the woman at reception rattling off instructions like a machine and us a number, no friendliness at all. At other times staff were more pleasant though.
The room was old but very comfortable with lovely pillows and the bathroom pleasant with fluffy towels but the phone didn't work and when mentioned they said that often happened. The air conditioning was noisy also.

The bar area was so noisy and crowded one could not hear anyone speak.

I was on an upmarket tour and the breakfast and choices here was very average, the worst on the whole 2week tour. The way it was laid out along the bar caused huge queues and the lady doing omelettes was very sour. The coffee was cold and when politely asking for a hot replacement was given one very ungraciously.

Obviously the location is fantastic and it seems tours use this hotel so it is often full so I suppose they don't need to bother to fix anything. However I will be very wary of staying at another Hilton.

Room Tip: There are no views from any room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank franky126
Brian_D_Martens, Manager at Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to comment on your stay. I'm very disheartened to hear about your experience at the front desk. I will send you a direct message in the hopes of getting more information. I'm sorry to hear about your impression of the hotel and hope we can correspond more. We do certainly take a great deal of pride in our hotel and are continually investing in improvements. In the last few months of 2013 alone, we will complete a brand new fitness center, a completely new wireless Internet infrastructure, and make significant improvements in all our rooms including new carpet, furnishings and in-room safes. We do hope we can continue to be your hotel of choice in Boston.
Brian Martens
bmartens@hiltonbostondowntown.com
Warwick, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We chose to stay here as we didn't feel like having the long commute home after the Bruins game. We arrived right around check-in time, and was greated by a not very personable front desk. No mention of any amenities or the like. She didn't even state the room number, just gave us our room keys and said we're on the 5th floor. I realize that we're staying here only for a night, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't receive the same service and respect as individuals staying here for business or for a longer stay.

The 5th floor was desolate. For a hotel that we kept hearing was booked up for the weekend, there certainly was nobody on this floor. The room was nice, but not spectacular. As I had seen in many of the reviews, the room was small with little space between all of the furniture. One of the redeeming factors was the giant TV at the end of the bed, which was perfect to catch the ending of the Red Sox game on after the Bruins.

Some of the wallpaper was starting to peel behind the entry door. The bathroom was missing the lock from the doorknob, and even more, there were two different knobs on the door... just a bit odd. The only other piece that was off about the room was that the showerhead was pulled a good 2-3 inches out of the wall, so you could essentially see in the wall behind it.

This certainly wasn't a cheap stay, even with a AAA discount. But for lack of cheaper/nice hotels in the area, I probably would stay here again if only for convenience to TD Garden, the T, and the quietness of the area since it is the start of the financial district. Part of this also is my preference for Hilton brand; however, with that being said I can't say I would recommend this hotel to friends, family, or colleagues.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NeviTales
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I’ve been sleeping in Hiltons for longer than I remember. Lately, I can no longer bring myself to like the big “H” no matter what part of the country it is in. Take the Boston Hilton Downtown Faneuil Hall: worn off towels and carpets, one bathrobe in a room for two, no comfortable table for two people to sit and exchange ideas or play cards or whatever. Minimalist décor, not a sign of something to write with by the phones in the corridor, Reception Desk “in training”, small rooms, bed facing toilet, this is just the short list of my dislikes. I recently red that Hilton is abandoning room service, go figure! And what’s with the $15/day for Internet: I could never figure this out: sleep in any lower end Hilton property, like Hampton Inn and get free breakfast and Internet access at a fraction of the price in a Hilton or Double tree. At $400+, lowest cost of admission in Hilton, one expects more. Time to permanently change my sleeping preferences.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room looking at the interior yard
2 Thank Oliver S
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed here three nights while I attended a conference. It's a very nice hotel, rooms could use some updating, and the staff is eager to assist you except for when the ac/heat system is broken in your room. My room felt very cold and I turned up the thermostat to 75 and went off to my meetings. I returned to find an even colder room and it felt like the system was blowing cold air. I called down to the front desk, who promptly sent up an engineer. After examining the unit, he informed me that the motor was broken and the repair would require some small construction. He advised me to not have the work completed while I was staying in the room. He said the problem is that the hotel is pretty much full and I probably can't move rooms. He said that he'll bring me a space heater for the night, noting that they just bought 20 new ones that work great. He assured me that it wouldn't be a fire hazard when I asked about safety with leaving it on while I sleep, and said I could even leave it on while I'm at the conference.

After he left, guest services called to ask how I am and I responded with "cold." She apologized and offered to send up a 2nd space heater. What?! Perhaps they have this problem often? I said that I would like to switch rooms and she said the hotel is at capacity, but she could transfer me to the front desk to see if there are any options to move hotels. I said that I would give the heater a chance. She asked if I needed anything else before ending the call. I was really disappointed that they didn't offer me anything to make up this deficit in service such as free room service or discounting the price of my room.

After an hour of the space heater on high, the room was not any warmer. I was watching tv wearing my wool jacket and scarf! If you stand within 1 foot of the heater, you'll feel warmth, but it did nothing for the rest of the room. I called down to the front desk and asked to switch rooms, and I was informed that there are no other rooms available, not even suites. I pressed further saying that it is 34 degrees outside tonight and it's unacceptable that I have no heat in my room. At this point, I was shocked at how unhelpful the hotel was being-- how can you make a guest pay over $300/night and not be apologetic that they don't have heat in their room? And not trying to do anything other than drop off space heaters to make the situation better?

In the end after being on hold for more than 5 minutes, she finally transferred me to the manager who miraculously found me a room with heat! I have to assume they gave me a room being held for someone supposed to check in that evening and that poor soul was given my old room. At this point, three people had told me the hotel was sold out.

The new room needed even more updating-- the carpet was very stained, the bathroom wall paper was peeling, etc. But, I would rather have that than no heat on the first fall night with temps near freezing and drafty windows.

Overall, I would consider staying there again because of the location and it is overall a nice hotel, but I was incredibly disappointed that the hotel was fine with a guest staying in a room without heat and offered no consolation other than ineffective space heaters. I travel monthly for work and I'm always partial to Starwood hotels, but the conference rate at the Westin wasn't available last week. Lesson learned.

2 Thank WashingtonJL12
Cheshire, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

The rooms are a little tight, the furniture is oversized and the space is not! There was very little room between the bed and the desk chair, and even less between the corner of the desk, the edge of the bed and the corner of the dresser, on the way to the closet and bathroom. The bathroom was a little cramped as well. For a king sized room, we expected more. service, however was great. Everyone was helpful, friendly, and attentive.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room!
1 Thank KiddieLit1
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

This hotel is excellently located in downtown only about a 10 minute walk from Quincy market, the Aquarium, trolley tours and harbour cruises. We had a spacious one bedroom suite. Large tv in both living and bedroom. Living area had couch, chair, ottoman, small dining table and desk.Kitchenette had single brew coffee/tea maker and sink. It was large enough to have a microwave and kitchen utensils but these were not included. The mini fridge was in the living area under the tv cabinet which was a bit odd. Nice granite counter bathroom sink outside of the tub/toilet room which was convenient when sharing with others. Two double beds were very comfortable and comfy robes in closet. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Only complaint was that noise travelled from adjoining room. We could easily hear conversations and tv next door to our living room area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family