“Boston Wine Expo”

Seaport Boston Hotel
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 February 2008

I stayed for two nights for the Wine Expo and this is the spot to stay for that event! We had views of the harbor anf the Pru my only complaint is that I don't care for innerspring matresses so I did not find the beds all that comfortable. But I am spoiled as I have a Natures rest latex core bed at home. Othwerwise the room was clean and comfortable. Room service was excellent and the staff simply awesome! I left my cord for my laptop there and I did not discover it until I got home. I was panicked as I needed to write a review of the Expo.I called the hotel who immediately retrieved it and mailed it back to me! No worries! Now that's service! Staff is wonderful. And there is no tipping. Really, they don't just say it. they mean it! They make you feel comfortable about it. So the cost of the hotel winds up being reasonable and a bargain for Boston. As for location the "T" is right there and you can get anywhere for about $10-12 for a cab. I went to the North end for dinner and to The Hungry I for less than ten dollars.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 February 2008

This was our 2nd stay at the Seaport. Previously stayed there in 2006.

Check in/out - Both the desk attendant for checking in and the one for checking out talked as quickly as possible, almost like a rehearsed speech (I live in the area, so I thought I talked fast, but WOW, they are speed demons). Both in and out, there wasn't anyone else waiting, so there was no need to rush. I wasn't asked if I needed anything checking in, nor was I asked how my stay was checking out. Very cold.

Conceirge was great! Very friendly and chatty! Told us about some things in the area. Also told us that there is a free shuttle running every 10 minutes from the hotel to downtown Quincy Market! We used it and it was great. Very nice drivers.

The hotel was under construction in the lobby, making the bar area tiny and very noisy. We didn't know about this until we checked in and saw it. No mention of this to us by the hotel desk clerk at check in. No compensation, such as a reduced drink at the reduced bar, or anything. Extension cords running through exterior doors, plastic hanging down in the lobby bar, smells, drills, saws and noise.

Room was small but nice. Very clean. Only a few (maybe 8) channels on the tv!! As there is really nothing to do in the area at night, this was a surprise! Beds comfortable. As other reviewers mentioned, you could hear every toilet flush in the other rooms. As long as you wanted to be up at 6:30, when you can hear everyone's showers starting, and be awake about 10 PM to hear them all flushing their toilets as they go to bed, you'll be OK.

Breakfast buffet was just OK. Very expensive. Ate a lunch and dinner at Morton's Steakhouse across the street. Also tried LTK down the street. Both were good alternatives for the restaurant in the hotel.

Easy walk to the convention center. In fact we had a lovely view of the Convention center, the MBTA Silver Line station and its parking lot from our hotel room.

Wireless internet worked fine.

Parking is $29 a night. Beware that the hotel adds a $3 'service charge' to your nightly rate, and then Boston adds a hotel tax, a convention tax, a local tax, and maybe another one I've forgotten, to your bill, so your nightly rate will end up being more than the original quoted room rate.

Overall, it wasn't as good as our stay 2 years ago (service seems colder and restaurant not as good). It is a good alternative to the Westin for Convention stays.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank packthebagsBoston
Reviewed 7 February 2008

I stayed here during the Xmas season to attend a Xmas party at the world trade center across the street and was impressed at how nice this place was. It is fairly new and has many floors and is modern place to stay. It is located in a off-beat location of Boston though, that is just starting to be developed. It was fine to stay here if you are attending a convention (right near the convention center) or doing something at the World Trade Center. But if you are here to visit and take in the sites and sounds of Boston, this isn't the place to stay. It is not close to anything and is not on any major public transportation lines. It is in a weird area of the city which someday will be very nice and connected, but isn't right now. The price may be right (this place is still a bit pricey), but take it from me, it is not a place to walk out your door and be in downtown. You will have to catch a cab (lacking area for cabs) and have them take you to the hot spots in the city. I give this place high ratings for its rooms which are filled with everything you need, its lounge/bar area which is trendy and intimate and its service, but I cannot give it high ratings on its location. This part of the waterfront is not where you want to be!

• Stayed: December 2004, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lip89
Reviewed 4 February 2008

Better than average for a "convention" hotel. Convenient to convention center (not connected, but an easy walk) and very convenient parking. Hotel restaurant was typically overpriced, but there are other options within walking distance. Of the 2 hotel options for the convention center, this is the better choice.

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed 20 January 2008

We stayed there on a cold Saturday night and the hotel was warm and open and inviting and most importantly, very close to the T! The room was fine, the beds were great, the bathrooms beautifully stocked and we loved our views and all was fine.

But the plumbing noise was horrific! All night, all day, all the time you could hear loud whooshes and rushes through some old (antique?) pipes. Eventually we asked for extra pillows and wrapped them around our heads, but as soon as they fell off we were back to "rrrrroooorrror.....psheeeeewwwwww." It was impossible.

We had planned to stay two nights, but upon final re-awakening (looking quite the worse for wear I might add) we all agreed that we couldn't take another night of this," and we moved to the Intercontinental which was cheaper, closer to the main parts of downtown, and had silent plumbing.

I definitely can't recommend the Seaport AT ALL if all floors have the plumbing sound effects. Perhaps other floors don't have such an issue, in which case it is a perfectly nice place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank cathyhub
Reviewed 19 January 2008

We have stayed in every luxury hotel in Boston and this hotel really knocked our socks off. Prompt and friendly service and great food. Extremely clean rooms. The fitness center and lap pool were wonderful. We especially loved the casual atmosphere. Usually luxury hotels are stuffy. Not this one. Our only complaint was the location could be a little closer to Boston's attractions. However, for a fit couple like us, we enjoyed the walk to Fanuil and the other attractions. There are safe and interesting areas near the hotel to go for a run. Be prepared for the expensive parking and steep hotel taxes in Boston.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jenifa16
Reviewed 16 January 2008

When I made the reservation for a nice weekend in Boston the nice lady on the phone asked me if I would like a king bed or two doubles in the room. I wanted two doubles and she ok'd me on that. When I arrived at the hotel to check in they told me that my room had a king bed, and I told them that I needed two doubles and that's what I had reserved. The lady replied that my reservation on secures me a room and not a certain type of room. Then why asked me on the phone which I would like to stay in? They gave me another room and when I got my things up to the room it was a king size bed and nothing else. I then had to call the front desk and ask what was going on. They said it was a mistake and someone would be up to give me new rooms keys. After switching rooms I was finally in the correct room for my stay. The whole thing took over an hour and I missed my dinner reservations for the night thanks to the Seaport. So if your just looking for a "room" to stay in then go the Seaport.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends