“Good Hotel a little way outside the main downtown area”

Seaport Boston Hotel
Ranked #2 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Telford
“Good Hotel a little way outside the main downtown area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2008

We have just returned from a week in Boston where we stayed at the Seaport Hotel. Transfer from the airport could not have been easier. A bus just outside the main exit passes the hotel and we were actually in our room about 20 minutes after boarding. There is a 'T' station just by the hotel too on the Silver Line which provides a link between the airport and Boston's South Station. We found we could actually walk to the Boston Aquarium/Quincy Market area in about 20 minutes and to Boston Common in a few minutes longer.
The hotel itself is about 10 years old and is well appointed. There is a pool/fitness centre and the room we had was very nice with a view of Boston Harbour and the airport on the other side. We didn't hear any noise.
The breakfast buffet in the hotel restaurant was well worth having. Set us up for the day. The hotel is all-inclusive and there is no need to tip any member of staff. In fact, there are notices asking that you don't. One of the waiters in the restaurant actually pointed out that we shouldn't tip him as service was included in the bill. In a few years time, I expect this hotel to be better placed for local attractions as the adjacent World Trade Center attracts more visitors. If you don't mind a short walk to the Downtown area or a trip on the 'T' (costing just $2 if you'd rather ride) then I think you will find this hotel a good bargain. We would stay there again.

• Liked — Good Price and marvellous for airport transfers both in and out.
  • Disliked — A little bit out on a limb.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2008

I stayed at the Hotel the weekend of July 4th for a wedding. Seaport Hotel has beat all my expectations and I have stayed in hotels/resorts in Florida, NY/NJ, NC and California. Seaport definitely beat them all.
The customer service was exceptional. The people that worked their greeted us warmly. They were available to us to help even when we didn't realize we needed help :) without being overbearing.
The food at the restaurant downstairs was fabulous, we had a family breakfast buffet one morning and and some friends and I had breakfast the next morning. The food tasted great, was fresh and the price was excellent.
The facilities was spotless. The view from our room was gorgeous.
For the day of the wedding the wedding coordinator was available to us and so helpful and kind. They provided steamers and help with them when we needed.
I was very impressed.
This is the first review I've ever written for a hotel and I highly recommend this Hotel.

• Liked — cleanliness and customer service
  • Disliked — not at a beach :)
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Omaha, NE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2008

This hotel was an excellent addition to my business travel. I would not hesitate to reccomend the Seaport to anyone. The staff was courteous, consciencious, and professional. The room was very nice, and I loved the free WiFi available in the room, not just the lobby. Their business services for printing really helped through my stay!

• Liked — Free WiFi
  • Disliked — No vending machines
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Jiddydodge
Henderson, NV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2008

It's a little pricey. Although, very comfortable and well run.

My daily rate was $299 (it really feels like a $199 - $225 hotel). And, I had to extend one night and they upped the rate to $399.

The one glitch was that there was a Bose clock radio in the room and it didn't work. The same thing happened for a business associate staying in another room.

All-in-all - I'd stay there again, but not at that rate.

• Liked — Really comfortable room/bed, great staff, clean property.
  • Disliked — Room rates were a bit high.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank FastPass
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2008

We stayed at the Seaport Hotel for 10 days in early August. We had booked one room with two queen beds but on arrival we asked to upgrade to a suite. For not very much more money we got a great suite on the 17th floor with two rooms - much easier for us with two kids aged 9 and 11. They had the pull out sofa in the living room and we had the king size bed in the main bedroom. The view really appealed to our 9 year old son - he could watch the boats in the harbour while also watching the planes land at Logan. We had taken a water taxi from Logan Airport to the hotel - $10 one way trip per adult. Great way to arrive at the hotel - the kids loved it.

The hotel was excellent - most accommodating to any requests we had. The staff were extremely friendly - breakfast in the hotel was excellent - a good buffet but the coffee bar was also very handy if you didn't want a full breakfast every morning. Hotel pool was small but extremely clean as were the changing rooms. Computer with full internet access in the room was great.

We found the location excellent - close to the Children's Museum - which was good - although really for younger children (under 7's). Our kids enjoyed the Science Museum much more. It was an easy walk to the New England Aquarium/Fanueil Hall. The new Contemporary Art Museum - just across the road from the hotel is worth a visit - the food in the museum cafe also worth sampling.

Across the road from the hotel is No Name Restaurant - worth a visit - lobster and all kinds of other fresh fish at incredibly reasonable prices. The interior and furnishings are basic but service is super friendly and the food is super fresh if simply served. Legal Test Kitchen - a block away from the hotel - is also excellent - loud music and particularly busy on Friday/Saturday nights but kids enjoyed the atmosphere and food was very good.

However, for a real treat - Morton's - just across the road from the Seaport was superb. Incredible service, superb food - great cocktails - expensive but definitely worth it. Overall we found the Seaport a great base for our holiday - we purchased a 7 day travel pass for the T - and used the trains numerous times every day. The nearest T station is 2 minutes from the hotel. Couldn't believe how cheap public transport is - $30 for two people for 7 days - kids 11 and under free.

Also purchased the Boston City Pass - certainly worth purchasing - you get discounted entry into Harvard Museum of Natural History, Skywalk Observatory, Museum of Fine Arts, Museum of Science, New England Aquarium and JFK Museum - we visited them all and throughly enjoyed everyone of them. Also, make sure you take a Boston Duck Tour. We went whale watching also - which was the highlight of our trip to Boston - don't visit during April to October and not do it. We saw 22 whales and took the most incredible photos. Finally. when staying in the Seaport - they offer a complimentary harbour cruise at 10am on a Sunday morning - book early as places are limited but it is an enjoyable hour cruise of the harbour with great commentary.

• Liked — Convenient, friendly and welcoming!
  • Disliked — Pool was small
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank ramblingirish
SeaportGM, Vice President, General Manager at Seaport Boston Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2008
Hello from Boston ramblingirish! Thanks so much for sharing details of your Seaport stay and Boston travel tips with fellow readers. Sounds like you covered a lot of ground in the time you spent with us, and took some amazing photos along the way. We think we are in a great neighborhood too, and are glad travelers like you are exploring the best of what this great city has to offer. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Seaport someday soon. Happy travels.
MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2008

The overall visit and experience was terrible from the start. Valet parking wouldn't let us park had to find parking lot and then spoke to other people attending same event and half got to valet and half had to park themselves in a garage that is part of the hotel but you still are reguired to pay for even if your staying overnight at the hotel. Checking in was a nightmare. Waited 20 minutes to check in. Rooms air conditioner unit was not working. Staff was not helpful in giving us directions to function rooms and the food at the event (wedding) was Horrible.. I wrote letter to let the G.M. know about our stay and he wrote back that no one else has complained and he would investigate it. I don't care if no one else complained and I didn't ask for an investigation, I thought he would care to know about how is hotel looked to paying customers. No wonder the hotel was awful if that is how the G.M. is rude.

• Stayed July 2008
2 Thank travelingmind
Delmonico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2008

I was at first very excited about my stay at the Seaport Hotel, hoping it would be excellent. My first problem was stained sheets. I told my husband they looked as if they had been laundered, but the BROWN stain made me have doubts. The plug in the tub did not work properly, so no bubble bath. The AC in the room did not work well. Although the temperature read as if it were ok, it was very hot and I had trouble sleeping. This discussion came up from another person that I met while at a seminar there. They said the same thing about their room and suggested that I turn the fan on to run all night. This did help. The next night, I ordered a bottle of wine through room service. The cost was to be $28 plus taxes and delivery fee. I was charged $45. I called room service to go over the problem and got no resolution. I had to take the bottle downstairs along with the price list that was in the room. I did get partial credit but not a full credit. WHY? Is it really that hard to calculate? Charge what you post and don't false advertise. I called twice before arriving to double check that the room charge would be put on the corporate card and was told both times, yes, it would. Didn't happen, I had to use my personal card and get reimbursed from my company. The only thing that I enjoyed about my stay was the food. The food was excellent and maybe the best breakfast I ever had in my life. I will say that I did request that maintenance fix the plug in the tub. They did, and I was able to take a bath my second night there.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business