“A hotel with a health club that does things differently”

Seaport Boston Hotel
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 December 2008

I stayed at the Seaport when I couldn't get a room at a different hotel. The rooms were nice and the staff were friendly. However, I was pleasently surprised by some of the other aspects of my stay.

The first thing I noticed is that this hotel has a somewhat "green" attitude. You can recycle your newspaper and other misc stuff. I appreciated this because most hotels tend to be very wasteful.

The hotel also discourages tipping. This is a little strange and I left a tip for housekeeping anyway, but I would guess that they must do a reasonable job of compensating their staff.

OK, all the other stuff is nice, but the best thing about this hotel is the health club. It has free weights, cardio machines, weight machines, spin classes and a lap pool. The health club is not huge, but it is fantastic by hotel/resort standards. All this was included in the price. No better way to burn off some stress and some of the calories from work-related travel!

If I had to give an overall summary, I would say that people who are really interested in "luxury" might find this hotel only adequate. I really appreciated some of the characteristics that make this hotel different.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Grumpier_mike

Reviewed 1 December 2008

Great Stay! Upgraded! Wow! First time I've ever been upgraded in any hotel ever. It was Thanksgiving and were not that busy but whatever. Went from a regular room to a small suite with two rooms and Ocean view. Kids liked watching the big ships go by. Two Tv's and no Sponge Bob for adults. Great stay, easy access to the rest of Boston. Don't listen to the people complaining about parking costs - it's Boston and it's like that everywhere. I've stayed in alot of hotels in Boston and this is one of the nicer ones. Thanks - Seaport !

• Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank mac099
SeaportGM, Vice President, General Manager at Seaport Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2008

Thank you for your enthusiastic support of Seaport! I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We truly enjoy welcoming families here - especially during the holidays, which we think are a fun and festive time to visit Boston.

Reviewed 5 November 2008

Stayed over one night for a wedding. The accomodations were lovely, but I was shocked to discover that they charged us thirty-nine dollars for parking in the hotel's garage. I've stayed at many a hotel in many a large city and have never been charged close to that amount for parking in the hotel's garage Attempting to gouge its customers rates it two stars in my book.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank gouged
SeaportGM, Vice President, General Manager at Seaport Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2008

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Seaport! It is expensive to park in Boston. The Conservation Law Foundation plays a significant role in setting parking rates and approving permits for the construction of parking facilities here. By controlling accessibility they hope to discourage the use of private vehicles and emphasize public transportation as part of their clean air initiative. We are required by the CLW and the terms of our lease to charge competitive rates. We monitor our competition and price just below their thresholds. Fortunately, there is some choice at Seaport where ample inexpensive and convenient surface parking is still available in the neighborhood. Thank you again and I do hope you'll consider us if your travels bring you back to Boston.

Reviewed 24 October 2008

The potential of Seaport Hotel is great, but unrealized. First, it is unlikely you will part anywhere near the correct place if you self-park -- very confusing. Front desk staff is friendly enough. Rooms were adequate and fairly new. Not much in the area within walking distance besides Convention Center and other hotels. Oddly designed in that the gym/pool are located on the same floor as the convention space. We didn't comfortable in our athletic/swim attire with a Marketing Sherpa show in front of us. Could have been worse, absolutely. But I guess we just expected more.

• Stayed: October 2008
2  Thank MidwestLiketoTravel
Reviewed 8 October 2008

I have stayed there for a business summit, which was held in its "World Trade Center". I can comment only the frontdesk of the hotel, catering of the trade center and the rooms, and I can say that everything was perfect. The staff is friendly and helpful, the food in the trade center was delicious, and the rooms are very comfortable and clean.

The only unexpected and unpleasant thing for me were the additional taxes on the room's price, but I guess it was my fault for not checking all the additional costs, before my arrival.

Location is OK, although it is a little bit aside from the downtown area, but if you are a business traveller, it shouldn't be an issue. There is a very convenient trolley-bus service, right next to the hotel, which can take you to the airport.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank kastelo
Reviewed 1 October 2008

Pros:
I love this hotel. It is new, fresh, clean and amazingly luxurious beds. I had a side view, but could see the bay.
Great service.

Cons:
Not downtown, but the WorldTrade Center Train station is just across the street and a 10 minute ride to major sites. Parking is high, but I recommend using the T and getting a Charlie card for the week ($15).

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank TXglobetrotter_09
Reviewed 1 October 2008

Partner wanted to stay near Conference Center.
Seaport has competition at various price points,Boston Harbour,Marriott Long Warf,InterContinental,Renaisance,Westin Waterfront. Plus the airport hotels are close enough , and you can use the water taxi.
Seaport does nothing bad nor very good.Our 8 nights were rather dull.Endless event meetings going on.
Its a no tipping hotel,but,18% service,5% tax,and 3$ room service charge later you wonder whats the point.
Hated breakfast , coffee shop closes at 5.30 pm .
Few shops or restaurants in the area.
The gripe is in room noise.Thin walls , vacuum WC noise , and door slammers.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business