“perfect location - great hotel”
Review of XV Beacon

XV Beacon
Ranked #12 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Sydney
“perfect location - great hotel”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I recently stayed at XV Beacon for 3 nights and really enjoyed my stay. The rooms are extremely comfortable and well equipped - I stayed in a Beacon Hill studio room on the 9th floor, which was very large, with a lounge area and fireplace. The bathroom was spacious with beautiful towels and soap.
What really stands out for me at this hotel are the concierges Jonathan and Patricia. Each made a number of arrangements for me from restaurant bookings to hairdressing appointments and they were both so helpful and engaged. Emails sent in advance of my stay were answered promptly and helpfully and Jonathan made an effort to catch up with me once I arrived. It is the little personal touches like that that really make your stay. The establishments recommended were top class and they arranged for the hotel car to drive me to various appointments, which is a great service. Dinner in Moo restaurant was very good.
The location of the hotel could not be better, right near Boston Common in a beautiful historic area and walking distance to everywhere.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: go for a Beacon Hill studio - very spacious
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CassGeorge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Toronto
Reviewed 4 June 2012

XV Beacon Hotel (Fifteen Beacon) is a luxurious boutique hotel on the top of Beacon Hill in Boston. Walking distance to shops, parks and restaurants (everything is walking distance in Boston), this hotel is situated 15 minutes from Boston Logan BOS Airport (approx. $22 taxi fare).
The hotel is a 1903 landmark building with the charm of historic Boston but with the comfort of chic, classic and modern facilities. With only 63 rooms in the entire hotel, XV Beacon hotel feels like a home away from home, with friendly and helpful staff at the front desk and concierge. Each room has a cozy feeling including your own gas fireplace. We have stayed at this hotel twice in the last five years and even during our recent visit the service and quality remains superior.
During our May visit we stayed in room 404 (which happened to be the largest suite on that floor) - each floor only has seven guest rooms. Opt for one of the Beacon Hill Studio's you won't regret it - including either a Queen or King Bed, gas fireplace, large flat screen TV, large sitting area, and fabulous bathroom.
One other great feature at XV Beacon is their complimentary in-town Lexus car service. The hotel has one Sedan and one SUV that can accommodate either 2 or 4 passengers. Service is available on a first come-first serve basis; however if you know you are headed somewhere specific during your stay you can pencil in your time and location with the concierge. This is a fantastic service since taxi's are not that easy to find in Boston, and not as affordable as they are in NYC. Be sure to take advantage of this service during your stay.

Room Tip: Opt for one of the Beacon Hill Studio rooms, you won't regret it, including either a Queen or Ki...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MM-TorontoTraveler
Shelton, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I booked using Luxury Link and made arrangement for a full suite at a modest additonal charge. That suite on the 2nd floor was spacious and an excellent value for the cost.
Housekeeping turndown was a disappointment. The bed was fixed but wastebaskets and bath towels were not refreshed in the living room bath.
The restaurant was enjoyable for breakfast and I almost had the place to myself.
For dinner on Saturday, MOOOO was busy. The food was good. It was a bit pricey , $44 for swordfish with no extras. The best deal is to puchase the extra sampling at $18 for two people which included some tasty sides.

Room Tip: rooms on the 2nd floor have very high ceilings
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank boatbuddy2007_12
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This will be an unusual review since I've never actually stayed in this hotel. However, I believe I have something to say that will recommend this hotel as a great place to stay. First of all, it is beautiful, elegant and has a terrific location. But, that's not my story. My story has to do with an employee that went above and beyond the call of duty to a person who was not even a guest at the hotel. Here it is:

My husband and I were on a cruise ship stopping in Boston for a partial day port stop. It poured rain during our entire visit to Boston. We stopped on the sidewalk under the overhanging roof of the XV Hotel. We needed a moment's respite from the rain and also, I wanted to take a picture without getting my camera drenched. We spoke to the two uniformed doormen about this need and they were very friendly and said, yes, by all means, stand under the porch. With a laugh, I remarked that this was our one day in Boston and this (the rain) was our unfortunate introduction to the remarkable city. One of the doorman (whom I will call Mr. M in this account) very kindly said, “Wait just a moment,” and went inside the hotel. He quickly came out with an umbrella which he presented to me (I’d not brought mine, hoping the rain would stop – it never did!).

I was overwhelmed with his kindness and immediately thought, this must be the best hotel in the city and what a friendly town – and certainly, this was the most generous and kind doorman I’d ever met. The umbrella, by the way, was a tremendous help to me as the rain started pouring more and more. I will never forget this kindness and I will always have good feelings for the town, the hotel and that thoughtful doorman. Thank you, Mr. M -- you know who you are.

The website for XV Beacon Hill tells how the attractive building is a 1903 landmark Beaux Arts hotel, located on the crest of Beacon Hill. I can attest to the fact that the location is excellent for sightseeing. It is a luxury boutique hotel and, I'm afraid, on the pricey side (at least for my pocketbook). While I would love to stay there, I don't foresee that happening. Regardless, I would recommend this hotel to those of you who can afford a wonderful, luxury hotel with kind doormen and a very short walk to the State Capitol and the lovely green Boston Common park.

Kudos to XV Beacon Hill Hotel and the very kind Mr. M!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JoyfulWriter
Southern USA
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Simply put, this is a sophisticated hotel in a great location with a wonderful staff. We stayed in a Beacon Hill Studio on the ninth floor, and it was fabulous. I admit to being a sheet snob, and very rarely do hotel sheets measure up for me, but theirs did. The fireplace and surround sound stereo added to the cozy and romantic atmosphere of the room. (There are controls for both next to the bed.) The marble bathroom with rain shower head was also very nice.

We were very pleased with our stay at XV Beacon and highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Discrimin8ingTravlr
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I stay in this hotel 2 or 3 times a year on business, but would have no hesitation staying for pleasure either. Great location, excellent staff, lovely rooms. If you are not a big chain kind of person, this is definitely the place in Boston for you.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 17 May 2012

From arrival to departure, this was a WOW experience and we have been all around the world and have experienced it all.
Our stay last month at XV Beacon was absolutely wonderful from start to finish. (The cab driver at the airport said: Good choice of hotels!) We have recommended this boutique hotel to several couples who live in the area and visited us. They agreed that XV Beacon is the perfect place for their other friends, too.

Location: 10++ (20 of 10) - walking distance to everything and everyplace; rooftop patio is fantastic; nice exercise/spa area; close to many excellent restaurants, including Moo, where we dined for dinner and brunch, and met friends for cocktails several times – all were impressed
Staff: 10++ (20 of 10) – friendly, professional ,excited to be at XV Beacon; helpful
Concierges: 10++ (20 of 10) – friendly, professional, knowledgeable, interested in finding the perfect places for us and things to do and everyone was SO NICE and made us so comfortable
Decoration; artwork, furniture, fireplace, etc.: 10++ - The rain shower head is relazing and incredible, and the water pressure is so nice. The bed helped us slept like babies each night; the fireplace was comforting and warm; the entire room and hotel was decorated to perfection. In-house Lexus and driver: 10++ (20 of 10) – impressive; excellent and caring drivers; comfortable cars. Very nice perk for guests.
Housekeeping: 10++ (20 of 10) – SPOTLESS; considerate; professional; friendly, etc. LOVE the ability for us to indicate whether we needed or wanted housekeeping service. Very considerate feature that we appreciated.
Room comfort: 10++ Ultra QUIET ROOM on the back corner. The shower head is PERFECT.
Water pressure is AMAZING. Nice bathrobes, towels and linens. Also liked the vases in the rooms - which we filled with tulips from the local market.
We definitely will return.
MAJOR COMPLIMENTS: we arrived at about 6 am and were immediately welcomed cheerfully and then checked in and given a most-excellent room. That is amazing (most hotels sigh and tell their guests that check in is 3 pm). The staff is THE BEST, in a beautiful location and facility, and they all are so happy to be there.
Many thanks for making our vacation incredibly wonderful.

Room Tip: The back corner rooms lack a good "view," but they are SO QUIET! Windows on two walls made...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple