“Dissapointment” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Montreal
“Dissapointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2008

We chose this hotel to treat ourselves for our wedding anniversary after reading a Conde Nast review.

The first thing that struck us was the smell of the grilled steaks from the restaurant which is in the same building. I really enjoy the smell of steaks but there was a serious ventilation problem going on and all the fumes were being pumped into the lobby.

The check in was handled correctly and the staff were friendly, but it felt a bit fake. As soon as there was a little pressure the real attitude surfaced. The front desk was generally dissorganised and simple requests such as having our car ready on time for our departure were ignored.

The room was nice and the decor impressive, but it was a little run down. There was a lot a noise from the street.

There is no pool and the roof top terrace was not operational in May... there were no spots where we could just hang out and feel comfortable. The complementary car service is not flexible.

In essence, you don't get your money's worth. You really pay for the image of luxury, but its far from the real thing.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The fakeness
  • Stayed May 2005, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eric168

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

We stayed at the XV Beacon in July. We were in a suit that cost over $500. The room upon first glance was really nice. Big windows, cool design, nice bathroom etc. However when we looked a littler closer there we things that were not so nice. The cover on the bed had a big stain on it, the light fixture was all cracked, and best of all there were foot prints on one of the curtains. They obviously are not keeping things very clean
The other thing that seemed a little strange to me was that the concierge recommended the same awful Italian restaurant to several guests that were staying at the hotel. None of us liked it at all. The restaurant must be giving kick backs. We had asked the hotel to suggest a really good Italian restaurant, and this certainly was not.

I must say that with the exception of conceirges , the rest of the hotel staff were very nice and helpful

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dinginess
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank reldan
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2008

We were a bit nervous after reading reviews on TA. We booked a basic room and were upgraded on arrival to a room with a fireplace. It was spacious, cosy, clean, well equipped and had an excellent bathroom (if anything the websites pictures dont do it justice). We also had an excellent dinner at the restaurant downstairs - (slightly against the odds - as they were packed and we had no reservation)

We really werent sure about booking XV before we went - but it was a completely unexpected highlight of our trip - and we are already planning to go back. (and will definatly book the room with the fireplace).

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — we couldnt extend our stay (fully booked)
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2008

My wife took me for a surprise night at the Beacon XV enroute to her college reunion (where we stayed at a chain hotel). From the moment we got there it was very clear that this was a different kind of hotel. From the valet at the front, to the woman who checked us in to Frank who brought up our bags, it was clear that great service was their focus.

Initially we were given a room that had a queen size bed and when they realized I am very tall and have a hard time sleeping in queen they immediately moved us to a room with a king. Frank even stayed to make sure we got situated in a new room. Once in the room, it did not disappoint. Great bed, large flat screen tv, gas fireplace with switch next to the bed. Great modern luxury decor. In addition, the bathroom was great as well, great supplies, tv next to the mirror etc. Just a great overall experience.

We did not get a chance to have a meal at MOOOO their redone restaurant but we did get to go when it was The Federalist. It was so good we were disappointed that they changed it but we hear it is great. We did however go out to a restaurant and the hotel provided us with a Chaffeur driven Lexus LS460 which was such a nice touch, In addition, Matt who drove us over gave us a full review of the restaurant and told us what was good on the menu. For the record his suggestions did not disappoint.

My only compaint is that i had to leave the next day and head to the chain hotel. The best way I can describe Beacon XV is that it feels like u r staying in a luxury apartment building, with a great doorman, driver etc. It really was a pleasure and am lucky my wife thought of it. we definitely will be back.

As a final note, one of the worst things that happens when you stay at a hotel is you leave something in the room. My wife left her evening bag and we did not realize until we arrived at our next hotel. As this is not the first time we have done this we were pretty sure we would be out of luck. Instead I called the hotel and they immediately went to look for it and called back 3 minutes later and let me know they found it and asked where they could send it.I decided to pick it up and they actually checked id before they gave it to us. Thats awesome...THANKS!!!!

• Liked — overall feel, room and service
  • Disliked — That i dont live there
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2008

This small boutique hotel is located next to the Mass. State House in a very good location to the Freedom Trail, etc. It is also part of the AmEx preferred hotel program, however, we were unable to recevive many of the benefits of this program during our stay. Part of the program is to receive an automatic room upgrade, if available. We checked into the hotel at about 7:30 PM after our flight from the West Coast for a two night stay. We were told that no upgrades were available that night but would be available the next night. No effort was made in day two to upgrade our room. Additionally, part of the program was to give us an $85 credit for dinner at the restaurant in the hotel. When we went to the restaurant for dinner and told them we were hotel guests, we were told that there were no tables available for us for the entire evening but we could sit at the bar and eat. Breakfast was included as part of the program and available. My wife and I had to share a rather smallish queen bed. In the room, which faced the side of an adjacent building, was only one rack to place our luggage. We had to remove a rather large, clunky fax machine from its stand to be used as the second luggage stand. The bathroom was quite small with only one sink and a shower. In my opinion this hotel is certainly not worth the $500 per night price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank UpbeatTraveler
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2008

I was excited to stay at XV Beacon, but that quickly dwindled once I settled in. Yes, the staff, except for one incident, was very pleasant and attentive, but my expectations were not met. The hotel is beautiful and in a great neighborhood, but here are my issues: I was told that, with the exception of two rooms, there are no king sized beds at this hotel. When I requested a king bed, I was told king beds are not available in my rate category. Excuse me, but for $400+/night, I can get a king bed at plenty of four star hotels without being told "it's not available in my price category." I'm 6'2" and my wife isn't short, so we prefer a king bed. To deal with the situation, we ordered a rollaway bed so that we wouldn't end up kicking each other at night. I couldn't believe the rollaway. In my opinion, it was ridiculously uncomfortable, so we it taken away. In addition, the hotel wanted to charge us $35/night for the rollaway. I thought that was pretty hilarious given that we couldn't be accommodated with a king bed. Lest I forget, when one of the staff members entered the room to stock the minibar, or bring in the rollaway, they didn't pull the door entirely shut when they exited. Hence our room was left open for anyone to enter. To add to my disappointment, the room was dirty (see photos). There was a substantial amount of dust on the television shelf and in the bathroom, not to mention a grimy build-up of gross material toward the bottom of the shower door seal. The HVAC vent is located above the sleeping area so that air was constantly blowing on us as we tried to sleep. We ordered a blanket, but none were available. A couple of sheets were given to us instead. Evidently the HVAC is not a climate-controlled system that shuts off once the room reaches a specific temperature. Perhaps the system in our room wasn't working properly, but I finally turned it off so that we didn't have a constant draft blowing on us. This, however, created a whole other issue. Food odors from the restaurant started to come through the vent.

The four-poster bed is positioned in such a way that one's view of the television is impeded, it's absolutely absurd.

We had to call to ask for tissue and toilet paper as it wasn't replenished, nor did anyone think to store any of these extra necessities under the rather ample sized bathroom vanity.

There was no hot water in the shower one morning, evidently there were plumbing problems that day. I realize that unexpected issues arise, but this certainly didn't make me any happier, nor did the excessively loud music that permeated from the adjoining room. To sum things up: great location, beautiful boutique hotel, but housekeeping could do a better job. In my opinion, you should add king sized mattresses -- there's certainly enough room to do so. Eliminate the four-poster bed or install a plasma above the fireplace so that one can see the entire television screen.

Given the four and five star hotels that are under construction in Boston, I think XV Beacon needs to focus on making some changes if they are going to effectively compete in the marketplace. What I had hoped would be a restful vacation was disturbed by issues that I encountered at XV Beacon.

• Liked — Beautiful old building, great location.
  • Disliked — Encountered too many problems during our visit at this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank david_k001
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2008

Stayed at XV Beacon recently. Loved the style, location, service and amenities. Was upgraded to a Studio room which was a nice size although a bit odd that it has only a Queen bed. While we only ate breakfast and some appetizers in the hotel, it was a great looking room and the service and food was amazing. Went to dinner around the corner at No 9 Park, which I highly recommend. One of the best meals I have had. My only complaint was the noise at the back of the hotel due to the loading docks of the bulding directly behind. Therefore, request a front facing room. They made it up to us by comping our breakfasts (nice touch). XV Beacon is a nice alternative to other luxury hotels (Four Seasons, Taj) in Boston which are nice, but boring.

Stayed April 2008