“Escape of rich yet subtle elegance”
Review of XV Beacon

XV Beacon
Ranked #13 of 83 Hotels in Boston
SanFran
“Escape of rich yet subtle elegance”
Reviewed 29 June 2009

I could have stayed for a month and still would have felt that it was too short. The graciousness and attentiveness of the staff, the size and decor of the room, the food and amenities of the service made XV Beacon one the best hotels at which I've ever stayed. Fortunately I was there for a personal celebration, which they acknowledged through a elegant dessert dish and a personal note - one of the many notable elegant touches throughout our too-short stay. But, as a frequent business traveler, I would have found the hotel equally as pleasing, with a large work desk and open space that could relax even the most busy, weary executive. Simply stated, XV Beacon has a rich character with all the charm and service of only the very best of hotels.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Reviewed 28 June 2009

We found a very attentive staff from the moment we arrived until they brought us our car to leave. The rooms are gorgeous--luxurious and cozy at the same time. The room has a comfortable bed, propane fireplace, large flat screen TV and wonderful sound system. XV Beacon is in a fantastic location right in the heart of downtown Boston!!! We dined in the restaurant Mooo which is right off the lobby (no need to even walk outside) and had a wonderful meal. We will definitely stay there again and highly recommend it!

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 24 June 2009

I was there for four days and there were many problems, including:

1. Plumbing problems, i.e. no hot water. There was lukewarm water in the shower and the bathroom sink. Management sent someone up to fix it, but the water was still lukewarm the next night. In desperation, I crouched down under the sink and saw a water valve and turned it all the way open. That fixed the problem. I didn't know I needed basic plumbing skills to stay in a four-star hotel. I was so demoralized by two days of no hot water that I didn't even bother mentioning that the shower didn't drain. I just stood in water up over my ankles every morning.

2. Extra blanket problems. I called the front desk around 10PM to ask for two extra blankets. After a long pause, the night manager said he would check with Housekeeping to see if there were any (?) and that he would call back in 15 minutes if there was a problem. A 1/2 hour later, no call, no blankets, so I called again and finally got the blankets. How gauche of me to expect a hotel to have blankets!

3. The layout. The bathroom has a separate room for toilet and tub, with a sink and vanity area outside of it. Unfortunately, this area is opposite to the bed. There are no sliding doors to close it off, so you both better have the same sleeping schedule.

4. Everyone has their hand out for a tip. It is really obnoxious, especially in a place that doesn't really have a doorman. We were there for 5 days and 4 nights and except for our arrival and departure, where the doorman knew he was going to get a tip, we opened the heavy doors ourselves.

5. Don't bother with the free limousine service. The driver talks your ear off, hustling for a tip. A taxi is cheaper and quieter.

I will not stay here again. There were chips and scratches on the furniture, the ceiling fixture was hanging askew, like the scene in a movie after wild frat house party, and I've had better service at a Day's Inn. And at least they have hot water and blankets.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
XVBGM, General Manager at XV Beacon, responded to this review, 26 June 2009
Dear NYCtoones,

Thank you for your review. I welcome all feedback from guests, both positive & negative, for we strive to provide exceptional service and continuously make improvements to our property and operation. We clearly fell short of our goal during your time with us. I am disheartened to read about your experience. Had we known about your dissatisfaction while at the hotel, we would have immediately addressed your concerns. I do want to address them now.
1. Plumbing: Thank you for bringing the issue to my attention. We have repaired the drain.
2. Blankets: Our hotel is stocked with an abundance of blankets, down comforters and cashmere throws. We keep an extra blanket in each guest closet during winter months. During the spring & summer months, we remove the additional blanket from the room. If there was any hesitation on the Front Desk Manager’s response as to sending one to your room, he was most probably wondering if we had placed our winter inventory in storage. I apologize for the delayed delivery.
3. Room layout: Each room layout is different. Our “06” corner studio room is our most spacious single room type (475’). Given the architecture plan, the interior designer arranged the bed to face 2 walls of windows. The desk overlooks the Boston Common and placed close to the sofa and fireplace. This distinct appointment gives the room a feel of separation between bath/bed area and the living space. Had we known the room set up was not to your liking, we would have gladly moved you to an alternative room where the bathroom is located away from the bed.
4. Staff: One of the unique characteristics about XV Beacon is our personalized service. We are fortunate that due to the size of our hotel and large percentage of repeat clientele, our staff is able to remember our guest names as well as learn their preferences. Our dedicated employees sincerely enjoy assisting our guests without an ulterior motive. They are trained to offer proactive assistance and required to fulfill certain service standards. If they gave you the impression they were only working for a gratuity, I apologize. That was and is not their intention.
5: Lexus Courtesy Sedan: Our Lexus house car is a complimentary service and our drivers are required to touch on a few points of information while taking you to your destination. Again, I apologize if he was too talkative.
6: Furniture & Fixtures: We are a historic building with a hip design and high tech features. Our interior designer blended traditional and modern pieces of furniture and art throughout the hotel. The amoeba shape light and weathered side table are part of the unique combination “look” of the "old and new " style at our property.
I do apologize if your experience with us was a disappointment. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss further. Thank you.
Regards,
Amy Finsilver
Vermont
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Located on that sacred piece of Brahman Boston's Beacon Street between the front steps of the State House and The Athenaeum the XV Beacon is worthy of its heritage. XV Beacon has a sophisticated designer style with careful old world detail and luxurious amenities from the gas fireplace, lovely flowers in the window boxes at each window, white marble an chrome and dark mahogany paneling. The service is unsurpassed. The friendly knowledgeable concierge ready to serve in the comfortable stylish lobby, the introduction to the room’s amenities by the staff and room service presents what feels like your own staff. Don’t miss enjoying your beautiful room with the morning sun, freshly brewed Khave coffee and the Boston Globe. The roof garden is a highlight overlooking the lights of the city or for lounging in the afternoon sun. Nothing captures the heart and soul of Boston’s past, present and future like the XV Beacon.

Reviewed 22 June 2009

I must say this review I'm thrilled to write...what an experience, This boutique Hotel..located in a prime area of this cosmopolitian & historical city...I was walking distance to everything! Outside of the oustaning and convient location. The Hotel was so beautiful, With huge attention paid to every detail.I felt as though i was staying in a fabulous condo, versus an actual hotel room..full of comfort,and all the neccesities a home would have... the decor was so exceptional..along with the high thread count sheets..marble modern bath, and increadibly attentive staff...they made me feel welcomed and at home in complete luxury!...if in Boston again...this will be the only place I stay in the future.I highly recomend VX Beacon Hotel.In addition it has a delicious resturante at the Hotel...a modern take on a steak and chop house....equally as devine as the hotel....This hotel made my stay in Boston...I hope it wil do the same for you!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Stayed at XV Beacon the weekend of June 13. I am a loyal Marriott member, staying in
hotels more than 100 nights yearly.
XV Beacon is a breath of fresh air. The staff is dedcated to making your stay as enjoyable as possible.
From the valet, concierge, desk clerk, and bell staff, everyone is friendly and helpful.
The rooms are beautifully appointed, flat screens, stereo, period furniture, truly luxurious.
There is a rooftop deck with breathtaking views of the Boston skyline.
We walked everywhere we went; theatre, Fanuel Hall, public gardens , Newbury Street, etc.
We are already planning our next night in Boston and it will be at XV Beacon!

boston
Reviewed 21 June 2009

You couldn't find a hotel with a better location in Boston. Although there is a complimentary Lexus to take you to destinations within Boston, absolutely everything worth doing in town is within an easy walk.The only thing is that it's hard to leave your room because it's so beautiful. There's a fireplace, big screen t.v., luxurious bed and bedding ,and a well stocked mini bar. We have never seen a nicer bathroom. The bathrobes are thick and soft.The staff is friendly and helpful. Our concierge, Maureen, was able to get us in to a very popular restaurant with very little notice. There were lots of little touches, too, like the business cards in our rooms with our names on them and cookies and fruit dipped in chocolate. We just snick in for one night and came home feeling pampered. Definitely worth another trip in!

1 Thank cmv9298