“A beautiful and cozy place.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Caj Guest House Worcester Street
Sydney, Australia
“A beautiful and cozy place.”
Reviewed 29 May 2009

This is the 2nd time I've stayed in the CAJ house (last year I stayed for a week in the Tremont St house). The Worcester St house is a little bit further away from the city and the restuarants on Tremont/Columbus Ave when compared to the Tremont St house, but the walk is very nice, and the 43 bus on Tremont or the silver line on Washington is very close by. And the area these 2 houses are in (the South End) is a very trendy place with beautiful brownstone buildings, cafes, shops and bars.

The CAJ house management are wonderful - very friendly and helpful. The apartment my husband and I stayed in (# 11) is beautiful. It is on the 3nd floor (up 2 flights of stairs), faces the back alley with the most amazing view. You can see the John Hancock and the Prudential towers through some beautiful trees.

The area is very quiet, and the school across the road poses no problems at all. Closeby (5-10min walk) are some very nice restaurants: in the Tremont St/Columbus Ave "Restaurant row" and in the SoWa area (South of Washington St) on Washington and Harrison Sts.

I highly recommend this place (or Tremont St CAJ house) if you are going to stay in Boston for more than 1 week. This time, we stayed for 1 month, and it was just so great to feel comfortable (like being in your home away from home). It's a great convenience to have a full kitchen, and the bathroom is modern and the place is clean. The washer and dryer in the building are also a nice touch ($1.75 per go, just make sure you have enough quarters - but there are some laundrettes closeby where you can get change from change machines - even though you're not really meant to!). And the free highspeed internet was very convenient (although sometimes the internet was very slow - mostly during "peak" hours when everyone else in the house was also using it).

In the whole time we stayed here, we didn't feel cramped or uncomfortable. A great experience!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lilidesu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Galicia-Spain
Reviewed 20 March 2009

I was going to take a course in Boston from the beginning of January to the beginning of March, and from the very time I found CAJ house on the Net, and contacted them, I got a quick and helpful answer from Walter, the manager, who was very patient and answered every single mail I sent him asking all kind of questions I had (he even answered me while he was on holiday in Italy!). As my flight from Madrid was delayed and I arrived two days later, he told me he would be waiting for me at the flat even when it was a freezing Sunday night and he had bought some food for me, which he didn't allow me to pay him. I stayed there for 8 weeks and had a wonderful experience there. As for the check-out, I could stay longer than what was due on the contract, which I really thanked a lot, since my flight was leaving late in the evening.
My room (appartment 4) was a lovely homelike place, so warm that I can say I never felt cold during the two coldest months of my entire life- the temperatures outside were around -10/15º C!
The Internet access was perfect during all my stay, which for me was very important to keep in contact with my family in Spain.
The house is in a lovely neighbourhood, not far from downtown, which you can get to by public transport: The silver Line (it appears on the T-map but it is in fact a bus) is only 2 minutes from the house, in Washington Avenue, and takes you to Downtown Crossing, the very centre of Boston in less than 20 minutes. It also connects with the Orange Line (tube).
There are supermarkets in that same avenue and it is 15 minutes away from the Prudential Mall. As for those who like hanging out, there are plenty of restaurants and the theatre district is quite near. On sunny days (which unfortunately were not that frequent in January) I used to come home on foot, a nice 40 minute walk from Downtown Crossing.
A note for Catholic people who would like to attend Mass there: The Holy Cross Catholic Cathedral is only 10 minuntes from Worcester Street. It is a lovely building with wonderful stained glass! And those who are not very confident in English, but can only speak Spanish: Don't worry, there is a big South American community who lives nearby and most places have Spanish speakers, so the language is not a problem.
One last word for Boston and its people: Marvellous place and most kind and generous people!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank lolidov
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 August 2008

I booked a stay at Caj House in which I had intended to stay for several months. In late May (getting close to my scheduled arrival in July), I had a family emergency and could not make my stay. Walter was great throughout the entire process - quickly answering my questions, and when I suddenly couldn't stay, he refunded all of my money promptly (less my deposit, which was quite fair). These people were nothing but understanding and professional about what was a difficult situation for me.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank DocOwl
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 7 July 2008

I spent six weeks here, and was very impressed with the place. It was very clean and bright, very quiet, and in an excellent location. I would recommend one of the rooms on the front of the building. I was on the second floor, and it was bright, with a nice view of the street.

T suggestion: If you're staying here and going downtown on the T, take the Silver Line, which is only a block away, and very poorly documented, even on the MBTA website.

• Liked — Cleanliness, location, quiet
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank TrevorCdn
Ohio
Reviewed 10 May 2008

In 2006-07, I stayed on the top floor of the CAJ House for ten months. I loved it. Now I think of the CAJ House as my home away from home whenever I travel to Boston on business. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. In February 2008 I stayed there again for a week. My apartment this time was on the second floor instead of in my old "nest," but I liked it too. The building was just as quiet, comfortable, safe, and well managed as I remembered.

The location is superb. It's a great neighborhood. This block of Worcester Street is friendly and quiet, lined with lovely buildings. Great restaurants, the T, the symphony, the Prudential Center are all within ten minutes' walk of the CAJ House.

The apartment building itself feels like a home. I love the carpeted stairway, the layout of the rooms, the friendly furnishings that make me feel like I'm visiting a friend instead of staying at a "hotel." High-speed internet access is excellent. The kitchen is well furnished.

During my 10-month stay at the CAJ House, I had opportunities to see all the other rooms and I can vouch that they are all as well appointed and comfortable as the two I have stayed in. I warmly recommend the CAJ House to anyone who wants a comfortable, quite, home-like place to stay in Boston. You won't find better.

• Liked — Quiet, comfortable
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Historian-in-Boston
Surrey
Reviewed 25 April 2008

This is a warning to anybody trying to book a stay at Caj Guest House. - DON'T.

My husband and I contacted Walter direct and asked if we could rent one of his apartments for four nights in July this year. He replied to our email by stating that we would have to pay for a week even though we only wanted four nights and this would cost us $800. When we queried this he cut the price by $100 still insisting we booked a week which we then tried to do by filling out his booking form.

We asked him if we could check out at 11pm on the fourth night of our stay to catch a Greyhound bus but he insisted the latest we could check out was 7pm because of the noise we might create. He obviously thinks all his guests are in bed and asleep by 7pm!.

He then ignored our two following emails for 48 hours finally coming back to us stating that as he had rented the apartment for a long term let, would we like to rent it for different dates than we had originally asked for which was, of course, no good to us.

After messing us around for a week we are left with no accommodation in Boston and we have to start all over again.

If you want to be messed around like us then go ahead and try and book, but if you head our warning you will stay away from Caj Guest House.

It is not worth the stress and worry that this has caused us.

• Liked — Would like to have had the chance to find out!
  • Disliked — Walter.
Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank davidadrienne
Washington, DC
Reviewed 5 February 2008

I could not have found a better place for my 2 1/2 month stay in Boston. CAJ House is well situated in the dynamic South End, close to the Silver Line bus running into downtown. Amenities are nearby, including dry cleaners and groceries. Laura, the house manager, is extremely responsive and helpful. The apartment I rented (#5) was wonderfully appointed, clean, comfortable, and spacious. The bathroom is very small, but functions well and has a tub.

Stayed April 2004