“Incredibly accommodating”

Ranked #63 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Incredibly accommodating”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

A friend of mine picked this hotel because of the affordable price (less than a week in advance), and when we pulled up, I admit we were skeptical because it looks so outdated. However, I had the misfortune of having my car break down right as I pulled into the underground parking garage and the manager (Mark) and staff, including maintenance, could not have been more accommodating. They were completely empathic for my situation, immediately called their maintenance guy to bring out jumper cables (which didn't work because my car was facing a wall and did not have a space across from it), but then Mark told me that whatever I needed, they would help me with. Wifi is not free (nor is parking), but Mark looked up places with open auto-body shops and allowed me to use the front desk phone to make phone calls. He compensated me for parking (as my car didn't work and it was to be towed). When my car was moved to the front of the building before being towed, Mark had the doorman watch my car to make sure there was no issue in parking on the street in the no parking zone. The staff helped to make a draining and time-consuming process more manageable, which I really appreciated.

Story aside, location is great- right near the Symphony T Stop, Prudential Center, Copley Square, and a 10 minute walk to Newbury Street. Great (front) view of the First Church of the Christ Scientist.

The beds were comfortable, room was sufficiently sized (room with 2 double beds). Bathroom was tiny and had a wooden slide door which directly connected to the sink and mirror, which was separated from the room by clouded glass. There was a dresser, closet with a safe and plenty of space, desk and chair, small table with 2 chairs, nightstand between the beds. Vending machines in hallways (which also look a bit out of date, as does the lobby).

Overall, it's a great location, not costly (compared to other hotels in the area), and the staff is really willing to go the extra mile for you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank RSG24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ibaraki, Japan
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was looking for a hotel in the city of Boson that are located close to some metro station with cheap price. I fortunately found a travel agency offered discount rate of this hotel , that seemed to be reasonable in city of Boston, during my stay. Then I took it. (1) Location is pretty good for walking around city of Boston. (2)There is supermarket with 8 minutes walking distance. (3) Refrigerator was not equipped in room, WiFi were not free.(4) Hottest water in bath room should be more hot.(5)TV sound came from next to my room made me a bit frustrated. So, I review this hotel to deserve 3-3.5 starts, however I give 4 stars for discounted rate which was able to let me to stay city of Boston.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Takibist
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This hotel should have been refurbished at least twice in the last 30 years. Shabby, but clean with beds lumpier than school custard. Creepy stalker staff, that stared at my wife and no restaurant facilities. On the upside, great central location.

Room Tip: Not facing the Main Street or the car park at rear.
1 Thank marshmellow2015

Travellers are raving about these Boston hotels

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 22 April 2014

You better chose this hotel if you really want to be in walking distance from central spots, e.g. the Hynes Convention center but have low expectations on comfort.

The rates are high, WiFi costs extra 10$ per 24 hrs, and the room equipment is very low, even no fridge. Beds and pillows are good though. The isolation of the windows and walls is such that you need to have the air condition on over very cold nights with all impacts regarding noise.

Room Tip: ask for getting a room that is not pointed to the street side...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lonesomerider
Gibbstown, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I booked this hotel last week last minute for the night of April 19th. It got cheaper as the week went on so I ending up paying $223.00 with the AARP discount. I was so scared of all the negative reviews. And everyone posted on here said said to stay in the back of the hotel...Well I wanted a front view and got it and it was absolutely gorgeous...Why would you want to look out a parking lot when you can view the city...I didnt hear any noise and even had the windown open the entire time.....The bedding was updated - not like the pictures on their website - they probably should update those pictures...The walls were a little thin and you could hear people but that really didnt bother me...For the price, it was perfect...I have stayed at the fancy hotel up a few blocks away which is triple the price now and you really dont get anything more. I have to come back in September and will probably book at the MidTown....The only negative thing was that my credit card charge today was $50.00 more than what I had signed for - well I called and they charged me for incidentals that I did not use - she said it was their policy but no one informed me that I was get this charge but it will be credited back to my card within a few days because I did not use any of the incidetals. (They should tell you this at check-in).... Other than that it was really nice...Very convenient to everything too. I have shared two pictures of our view.

Room Tip: The front rooms have a beautiful view and are not noisy at all and I even had the window open the en...
1 Thank BarbCuch
Reviewed 17 April 2014

If you are looking for a state of the art modern hotel in downtown Boston, this is not for you. It is dated and our room was small, as was the bathroom. What this hotel is, is perfect for someone who is visiting Boston for a couple nights and is not planning on spending time in the hotel except to sleep. The rooms are clean and functional. There are basic amenities such as a hair dryer and a coffee maker. We had two double beds which were not uncomfortable. The staff is friendly and willing to do whatever they can to help. Parking is available onsite for $25 per day. We parked the car upon arrival and it stayed in the garage for the whole trip. Many places are within walking distance and everything else is a subway ride away. The cost is inexpensive considering the location. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Book a room that doesn't overlook the street.
1 Thank lkmcleod
chicago
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My son and I stayed here while visiting Northeastern. Room (2 doubles) was very comfortable-not cramped at all. Walking distance to Northeastern, Copley Square, Back Bay Station and the Pru. Staff was exceptionally nice, from Carole, to Gil to Ketsy... they were all extremely helpful, professional and courteous. My son will be attending NU so we will be staying here quite frequently over the next few years!