“Hotel ala carte”

Ranked #63 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Albany, New York
“Hotel ala carte”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the location. After location, very difficult to find much positive to say. It cost more than $340 for one night. We were charged extra for WiFi (hourly rates imposed) there is no breakfast or meals of any kind, and the staff treated us like we were enemies (not guests) not one smile. Hmmmm, could probably spend the same and get so much more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Cathy K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago suburbs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

This was the lowest price hotel recommended for a conference I was attending at the Hynes Convention Center. The hotel is in a great location; across from the Christian Scientist plaza, a couple of blocks from the Prudential Center. I was a bit taken aback when I first saw the hotel and my room; it was all so dated in appearance and the carpeting in the public areas definitely needs to be replaced. But the room was spacious, everything worked.

There is no business center, but when I needed to print something, the staff was helpful. I emailed it to the desk clerk, and he copied and pasted the document into work, and also played with the font size for me.

No restaurant, bar or convenience center onsite, which I felt were all drawbacks. Food, drink, etc can all be found a few blocks away, but sometimes you don't want to make a trip from the hotel.

The price is good for a city location, and as mentioned, everything works and was clean in the room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MargaritaQueen
Wethersfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

This is a lower end Hotel. I stayed there overnight before some business at Northeastern University. It is the least expensive hotel on the Northeastern page and there is a good reason it is so affordable. It is borderline creepy. The decor is 60's motel and the whole place is rundown. We stayed there right after the Boston Marathon Bombing and the whole city was on lock-down, so that may have added to the creepy vibe.

If you are just looking for somewhere to crash at night and plan to spend very little time in the room, this place is adequate.

One funny note, it is the hotel in which Johnny and Ted fight in the movie "Ted".

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend decided to travel the US for a period of two months. Boston was our first stop and The Midtown Hotel was our first port of call.

Location: Perfect. Easily accessible via the green line E train towards Heath Street. The stop you're looking for is Symphony. While the closure of Government Centre station was a hinderance, it didn't cause too much of a fuss. I believe the latter station is due to close until next year sometime so consider this when planning your trip to/from the hotel.

7day subway passes can be purchased at the ticket vending machines located at pretty much all the stations. Price is very reasonable and travelling by subway is the best way to get around Boston.

The subway system is wide and comprehensive covering all the main tourist areas/sights in Boston and the outskirts. The Midtown Hotel can be easily reached from the airport using the subway - or the "T" as it's called. There is a free shuttle bus that will take you to the subway station at the airport (Look out for signs) and the system is fairly easy to interpret/navigate.

As for the hotel
It is dated, yes. Those looking for something more luxurious should seek elsewhere. If you look beyond that there's not much you can fault about the place.

Our room had a lovely big comfortable bed, safe for storing valuables, shower/bath combi, hair dryer, ironing board and a TV with a variety of channels. Also there were coffee/tea making facilities available.

The air-con wasn't working/ was out of service seeing as it was quote cold when we visited. But there is some air conditioning there! One of the receptionists, Vonda, was a straight shooter and a bit abrupt. While WE had no issues with her, I don't think "what do you want to do?" is an appropriate response to give a customer when they have an issue with their room. Just something to note.

Not a lot I can fault about the place. Room was clean, bed and sheets were clean, safe provided security for our valuables, location was just excellent; a stones throw away from the prudential centre(shopping and food), in the vicinity of the Christian Science centre (a beautiful building) and practically a 2 minute walk to/ from symphony station. The public library was in walking distance as was Fenway Park - about 15-20mins.

Perhaps ask for a room facing the alleyway, while we had no problems with our room, I have heard the rooms facing the main road can be quite noisy.

If you're considering staying in Boston on a budget I'd definitely recommend this place. Yes, there are more luxurious hotels that are more expensive but if you want somewhere convenient, clean and comfortable to rest your head at the end of touring the beautiful city of Boston, this is the place for you.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Seamus441
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my parter stayed at this hotel back in December and had a great stay. Yes it is dated but it was very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We had never been to America and Boston was our first stop so we were very happy. The location is great it was nice to be able to walk through Boston common and the gardens on the way back to the hotel. It was winter when we were there and the hotel was very warm. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lisa_mk333
Amherst, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

A friend of mine picked this hotel because of the affordable price (less than a week in advance), and when we pulled up, I admit we were skeptical because it looks so outdated. However, I had the misfortune of having my car break down right as I pulled into the underground parking garage and the manager (Mark) and staff, including maintenance, could not have been more accommodating. They were completely empathic for my situation, immediately called their maintenance guy to bring out jumper cables (which didn't work because my car was facing a wall and did not have a space across from it), but then Mark told me that whatever I needed, they would help me with. Wifi is not free (nor is parking), but Mark looked up places with open auto-body shops and allowed me to use the front desk phone to make phone calls. He compensated me for parking (as my car didn't work and it was to be towed). When my car was moved to the front of the building before being towed, Mark had the doorman watch my car to make sure there was no issue in parking on the street in the no parking zone. The staff helped to make a draining and time-consuming process more manageable, which I really appreciated.

Story aside, location is great- right near the Symphony T Stop, Prudential Center, Copley Square, and a 10 minute walk to Newbury Street. Great (front) view of the First Church of the Christ Scientist.

The beds were comfortable, room was sufficiently sized (room with 2 double beds). Bathroom was tiny and had a wooden slide door which directly connected to the sink and mirror, which was separated from the room by clouded glass. There was a dresser, closet with a safe and plenty of space, desk and chair, small table with 2 chairs, nightstand between the beds. Vending machines in hallways (which also look a bit out of date, as does the lobby).

Overall, it's a great location, not costly (compared to other hotels in the area), and the staff is really willing to go the extra mile for you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank RSG24
Ibaraki, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was looking for a hotel in the city of Boson that are located close to some metro station with cheap price. I fortunately found a travel agency offered discount rate of this hotel , that seemed to be reasonable in city of Boston, during my stay. Then I took it. (1) Location is pretty good for walking around city of Boston. (2)There is supermarket with 8 minutes walking distance. (3) Refrigerator was not equipped in room, WiFi were not free.(4) Hottest water in bath room should be more hot.(5)TV sound came from next to my room made me a bit frustrated. So, I review this hotel to deserve 3-3.5 starts, however I give 4 stars for discounted rate which was able to let me to stay city of Boston.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business