“Some problems with check in.”
Review of The Midtown Hotel

The Midtown Hotel
Ranked #65 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed the 3rd week in June of 2014. Reason for travel was my daughter's college orientation. I made reservations by phone in May. When I checked in they said my reservation was for May, same days, and they charged me as a no show. At first they said they had no rooms, then said they did but I was going to have to pay well over $100 more than my reservation had quoted. They said there were a couple conventions in town and it would be impossible to find a room anywhere else. I question as to whether the reservation error was legit but just changed in order to book rooms at a much higher rate after realizing there were conventions. We were able to negotiate down a bit and using "Four Square" app got free parking and wifi. The night manager while ended up being accommodating, was annoying as he was on the defense the whole time and just kept telling us to "hold on" while he did various things on his computer with my credit card and license in hand, then lectured us. He was trying to be helpful but it came off as condescending. It would have been better had he told us "let me try this" or "I am checking on this". Instead he left us standing there for minutes on end watching him go from office to computer, with my card and license. I was feeling a bit uneasy about that. They never took responsibility for the Hotel messing up my reservation. Just got us a room and charged us more. I did not get an email confirmation sent to me so I recommend that in the future. The girl working with him (I believe his name was Mark but I am not positive on that) had zero personality, not a smile when she addressed you. She was miserable. This even before we realized the reservation error. She needs to be more presentable. I get a feeling that they are on the defense immediately because they must get so many complaints. But like I said, once we got our room we were quite pleased. We didn't stay there to be pampered, we just needed a place to rest our heads. The area is safe too. You have to pay for parking, but it seemed safe.

In the end we got a room. It was big, and clean. It must have been their prime room. Second floor, I believe room 208, facing the street. While a lot of people claim it is noisy we didn't have that problem. With the air conditioner on we didn't hear a thing. The beds and pillows were very comfy. While yes it is a bit dated. Who cares. It was CLEAN!! It is also very conveniently located as well. I am curious to know what kind of room we would have gotten had the reservation been correct.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
MidtownGM, General Manager at The Midtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you for the taking a moment to submit a review of the hotel. I would like to apologize for the issues that you experienced with your reservation as well as the front desk. Please trust that all comments, positive and constructive, are forwarded to the appropriate departments.
I am glad that once resolved you were pleased with the room and bedding quality. Next time you are back in the city, perhaps when your daughter comes back to college, please feel free to reach out to me directly so I can assist you with your reservation process. Thank you again, Todd Sankey, General Manager - tsankey@midtownhotel.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,897)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at the Midtown a couple weeks ago when in town for a convention on business. The rates are very reasonable, its walking distance to Fenway, great restaurants, a mall and so much more with access to 2 lines on the T. What a great experience. The hotel was spotless, the rooms were very nice and well appointed. They have a beautiful pool, ample parking and a super friendly staff. Would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I took my 7-year old son here. He was scared of this place and hanging on my arm begging not to stay. The elevator smelled like pee. This place is more of a Motel than a Hotel. It was dark and cold and generally, just GROSS. Not surprised to hear another reviewer had prostitutes in the room next door. For $20 more, we were able to stay at a MUCH nicer place - the Park Plaza. Go there, and stay away from this terrible place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Eric J

Good morning Eric,
Thank you for taking a moment to complete a review on the hotel. I apologize for the issues that you experienced, but I did want to comment on two of the items. In regards to the elevator smell, I apologize but unbeknownst to us, our elevator contractor changed the hydraulic fluids which gave off an offensive smell. It was noticed by the staff (and guests like yourself) and was replaced with another type within 24 hours. In regards to your comment regarding the neighbors of prior guests, I can personally assure you that that is completely unfounded and is not the case here at the Midtown. Again I appreciate you taking the time to complete a review.
Todd Sankey, General Manager

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed here at the hotel about 6 months ago while visiting family. It's fairly close to the airport but terribly insulated windows. I could hear every person who walked by. Whether they were drunk and loud or screaming on their phones or even people talking normally passing by, I could hear their sometimes very private conversations. The room was fairly clean, the bathroom left something to be desired and the bed was so lumpy I didn't sleep very well the 3 days I was there. Not the worst, but definitely not the best. I would have rather stayed at a Motel 6 and saved my money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Nishele B
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed here from end June 2014 for four nights. The 'hotel' is really dated and overall more like a motel. Location is about a 5 minute walk from the Prudential Centre and 10 minutes from Copley Square which is pretty good.
On our second night I purchased wifi (21 dollars for 72 hours). There was no signal in the room so the only decent member of staff (Jamal) moved us to another room which to our delight was a hell of a lot bigger than the previous box we had been allocated.
Although this was great and we were thankful, it was hard to sleep at night as the room over looked the main road which is located near a fire station so noise was really loud. The morning after we moved I realised I had left shoes behind in our first room. Staff checked with house keeping and management and I was advised the shoes were never found. I never got an apology for this and nobody seemed shocked which was worse!! I would not recommend this hotel nor would I ever stay here again. Boston itself is a lovely place to visit however the hotel was let down by too many unhelpful staff, extortion prices for wifi (when you can't get signal in most rooms) and finally the fact it should be advertised as a Motel rather than hotel!
One thing I do want to end on is one staff member who went above and beyond to make our stay a little better! His name is Jamal. If all the staff showed his level of customer service and willingness to help the Motel would be a lot better. Thanks Jamal!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The Midtown Hotel is quite overpriced and not a great value. The hotel room was somewhat clean. The beds were comfy.I was in other hotels in Boston that were a lot cheaper and more up to date than this hotel. I would not recommend this hotel unless it is a last resort.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Spent a week in the Midtown hotel it's very clean with access to a great swimming pool, central for all the great sights to see in Boston.
The front desk staff could not have been more helpful and made us feel very welcome during our stay.
No breakfast but this did not spoil our stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple