“Clean big rooms Friendly staff in an excellent location”
Review of The Midtown Hotel

The Midtown Hotel
Ranked #62 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Providence RI
“Clean big rooms Friendly staff in an excellent location”
Reviewed 5 November 2009

So I read some of the prior reviews and I was a bit cautious but the rate was a lot lower than other hotels, not to mention I could bring my dog with us, so I took a chance.
I will admit that I do agree with some of the other reviewers that the lobby and hallways could use a renovation. But regardless that the halls are tired, they are clean and well kept.
Outside of the public areas,
1. the staff was OUTSTANDING. Mark (who checked us in) couldn't have been friendlier, Ron (checked us out) let us park for the afternoon after departure (without an additional charge), Greg (the bellman) was very helpful and the Bell Captain (sorry didn't catch his name - older Irish gentlemen) was awesome.
2. The rooms were very big, very clean, and the bedding was great. Again not sure what the other reviewers experienced, but the bed was very comfortable.
3. The hotel is pet-friendly and it's actually kind of cool. They give you dog bowls with the hotel logo on them that you take with you when you leave.
Perfect hotel - no. Bad hotel - absolutely not. But if you are looking for a clean, comfortable, pet-friendly hotel with a friendly staff and kind to your budget hotel - I would definately recommend them.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Westcountry
Reviewed 31 October 2009

We arrived at the Midtown for a two night stay. I was a little concerned by the reviews, but having visited the states extensively over the last few years and never having had a bad experience with an American hotel, thought it would probably be ok! How wrong I was. The lobby is grey and dismal with a dirty, old smell about it. Check in was fine and we then dragged our luggage to the first floor. On entering our room it smelt very strongly of stale tobacco. I returned to reception and asked for a room that did not smell. They began by being very gracious and apologetic and gave me a new room immediately, advising a staff member would check out the smelly room! We dragged our cases to our new room on the second floor. Quicker to drag your cases than take the elevator! Our new room was awful, dismal, mismatching wall paper, broken window, broken towel rail, the list goes on it was just gross. We decided as the hotel was booked and paid for that we would grit our teeth and get on with it! We left the hotel via reception, in order to find something to eat. When passing back through the reception area an employee of the hotel started shouting across the room that "there was nothing wrong with the room (whatever number it was) that I had asked to be moved from." It was rude, unecessary, gross behaviour and done so that I could here him. I can only assume the employee who checked out the room had aclimatised to the smell of the hotel, but please be assured it stank. I have been travelling for over 34 years to many countries and have never had to ask for a room change before!

With regards to the beds, you can see the mattresses as they have no valences, and they look old, tired and sag in the middle. I am not sure if the bed linen was off white or cream, but it was old and horrible. I have never ever felt unhappy about getting into a hotel bed, but I did at the Midtown, and covered my pillow with a T.shirt and wore as much clothing as I could in bed, so that I did not have to touch the bed clothes. It was all very old, very dated and very unacceptable.

The rooms are noisey and you were kept awake by the noise.

When we were waiting for our shuttle to the airport, the reception staff talked noisely amongst themselve and there appeared to be a total lack of professionlism. Rest rooms in lobby were very unclean when we used them.

This hotel is in urgent need of a face lift.

If you are on a budget, wait unitl you can afford a better hotel, staying here will ruin your trip.

The location is ok but, we walked most of Boston so I cannot even sell it to you on location as anywhere would be fine!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank LouiseWestcountry

Travellers are raving about these Boston hotels

Germany
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Filthy rooms, non-working toilets, non-working telephones, unfriendly staff are few words that can be used for describing this hotel. I bet if someone who has already stayed in this hotel will ever go again. If you want to have a nightmare, then choose this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 27 October 2009

Not a 5 star but if you're looking for a place to leave your stuff and just sleep, this is worth it. Parking is extra, but negotiable. I couldn't get free, but I did get a discount. Leave your car and walk across to the subway. easiest way to get downtown. Mall within walking distance. No lounge, no food, but breakfast is a short walk and pubs are near the mall. Had a great Martini at the Sheraton. Must see while in Boston - The Liberty Hotel. Was once a prison - now an upscale hotel. The bar has interesting mixes and the lower level restaurant is superb!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 27 October 2009

Midtown Hotel is very centrally located and easy to find and just a couple of minutes form the T-line. The rooms are really large considering the price and our room was clean with comfortable beds. However, the small window in our room didn't shut properly and there were no safe storage areas within the room (ie wardrobe safe etc) meaning we carried passports etc around at all times. Lot of noise from other rooms, not very good sound proofing, you could clearly hear people talking in the next room and if they flushed their toilet in the night it was loud enough to wake us up. The air conditioning/heating didn't appear to work either. Rooms were quite dark and as mentioned the whole hotel looked like it was in need of decoaration - our room looked like it hadn't been decorated for a good few years. All in all, a good price for a great location but very basic.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank womblingaround
Middlesex
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Good facilities in a central location (Boston Common 10-15 minutes walk) and only 2 minutes to the Subway (Green Line). Whole hotel is in need of a bit of a refurbishment, and it's very busy - we had the misfortune to check-in as a bus-load of package travellers were arriving. But the staff are helpful, the rooms basic but clean and the location is good at that price.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Red_to_the_bone
england
Reviewed 21 September 2009

never ever go to this hotel it is the worst one i have ever stayed at. It smells - badly. Room basic and clean - just. Mattress sags so you dont get a good nights sleep. When I booked this i knew it was going to be basic but not this basic.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple