“Great location, clean, affordable and friendly!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Midtown Hotel

The Midtown Hotel
Ranked #63 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Salem, MA
“Great location, clean, affordable and friendly!”
Reviewed 23 November 2009

The Midtown Hotel provides a clean room with friendly staff. We had a comfortable stay. Conviently located for Bostons sights.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 November 2009

After a 6 night stay at the Midtown hotel, I can say that it has been an excellent all round experience. The staff were very friendly and helpful. On our first night here, there was a problem with the thermostat in the room (nothing to make it uncomfortable, just a little cooler than I would usually like it) and I reported it to the front office early the next morning. They were extremely apologetic and it was fixed while we were out of our room during the day. I paid $100 p/n inclusive of taxes for our stay here and I must say that for a hotel this conveniently located with reasonable amenities, this was a total bargain.

In terms of the few drawbacks, as many other reviewers have said, the hallways and lobby look dated and a bit dingy, but i would think that the rooms have been renovated, as they are warm, comfortable and very large. The only other drawbacks observed were that they plumbing from adjacent rooms was a bit loud in the morning, but aside from that I never heard any of the neighbours. Also, the wireless internet is quite expensive at $9.95 for 24 hours, ouch! These small problems not withstanding, I would definitely stay here again. Thanks to the Midtown hotel for making our first trip to Boston enjoyable and inexpensive!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 November 2009

Actually, I should preface this with the fact that I recieved "Buy two nights, get one free." So my bill ended up being about $200 for three nights and an addional $18 per day for parking. For an urban area this hotel is acceptable. It is located about a block and a half from the Prud center and multiple subway stops.

The hotel itself has it's setbacks, but these do not supercede the bargain. Originally we were put in a back room overlooking a parking lot with no table or desk. After requesting a better room, we recieved a view of the Church across the street and a larger room with a table. However, the room is old overall. It is not dirty, just run down. There's no bar or resturant on site.

The desk employees were helpful and friendly, as was the concierge. Just an FYI there are quite a few Europeans here because it is a Berlitz recommended hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Boston
Reviewed 15 November 2009

The Midtown Hotel is a great choice for a great night getaway with friends. The staff was helpful, efficient and friendly. The room was comfortable, clean and spacious. A great value for the money.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Providence RI
Reviewed 5 November 2009

So I read some of the prior reviews and I was a bit cautious but the rate was a lot lower than other hotels, not to mention I could bring my dog with us, so I took a chance.
I will admit that I do agree with some of the other reviewers that the lobby and hallways could use a renovation. But regardless that the halls are tired, they are clean and well kept.
Outside of the public areas,
1. the staff was OUTSTANDING. Mark (who checked us in) couldn't have been friendlier, Ron (checked us out) let us park for the afternoon after departure (without an additional charge), Greg (the bellman) was very helpful and the Bell Captain (sorry didn't catch his name - older Irish gentlemen) was awesome.
2. The rooms were very big, very clean, and the bedding was great. Again not sure what the other reviewers experienced, but the bed was very comfortable.
3. The hotel is pet-friendly and it's actually kind of cool. They give you dog bowls with the hotel logo on them that you take with you when you leave.
Perfect hotel - no. Bad hotel - absolutely not. But if you are looking for a clean, comfortable, pet-friendly hotel with a friendly staff and kind to your budget hotel - I would definately recommend them.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Westcountry
Reviewed 31 October 2009

We arrived at the Midtown for a two night stay. I was a little concerned by the reviews, but having visited the states extensively over the last few years and never having had a bad experience with an American hotel, thought it would probably be ok! How wrong I was. The lobby is grey and dismal with a dirty, old smell about it. Check in was fine and we then dragged our luggage to the first floor. On entering our room it smelt very strongly of stale tobacco. I returned to reception and asked for a room that did not smell. They began by being very gracious and apologetic and gave me a new room immediately, advising a staff member would check out the smelly room! We dragged our cases to our new room on the second floor. Quicker to drag your cases than take the elevator! Our new room was awful, dismal, mismatching wall paper, broken window, broken towel rail, the list goes on it was just gross. We decided as the hotel was booked and paid for that we would grit our teeth and get on with it! We left the hotel via reception, in order to find something to eat. When passing back through the reception area an employee of the hotel started shouting across the room that "there was nothing wrong with the room (whatever number it was) that I had asked to be moved from." It was rude, unecessary, gross behaviour and done so that I could here him. I can only assume the employee who checked out the room had aclimatised to the smell of the hotel, but please be assured it stank. I have been travelling for over 34 years to many countries and have never had to ask for a room change before!

With regards to the beds, you can see the mattresses as they have no valences, and they look old, tired and sag in the middle. I am not sure if the bed linen was off white or cream, but it was old and horrible. I have never ever felt unhappy about getting into a hotel bed, but I did at the Midtown, and covered my pillow with a T.shirt and wore as much clothing as I could in bed, so that I did not have to touch the bed clothes. It was all very old, very dated and very unacceptable.

The rooms are noisey and you were kept awake by the noise.

When we were waiting for our shuttle to the airport, the reception staff talked noisely amongst themselve and there appeared to be a total lack of professionlism. Rest rooms in lobby were very unclean when we used them.

This hotel is in urgent need of a face lift.

If you are on a budget, wait unitl you can afford a better hotel, staying here will ruin your trip.

The location is ok but, we walked most of Boston so I cannot even sell it to you on location as anywhere would be fine!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank LouiseWestcountry

Travellers are raving about these Boston hotels

Germany
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Filthy rooms, non-working toilets, non-working telephones, unfriendly staff are few words that can be used for describing this hotel. I bet if someone who has already stayed in this hotel will ever go again. If you want to have a nightmare, then choose this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business