“Would definitely recommend Harborside Inn”
Review of Harborside Inn

Harborside Inn
Ranked #50 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Chicago
“Would definitely recommend Harborside Inn”
Reviewed 30 June 2006

We returned today from a 4 day stay at the Harborside Inn in the downtown area of Boston and had a very pleasant stay. Location, location, location says it all. It was close to everything! The T aquarium stop right across the street, Quincy market literally 1 block away , the waterfront , and wonderful restaurants in the North end area .
Our room was an atrium room and it was clean and comfortable. I had no problem what so ever connecting with the high speed internet . The room was always cleaned when we got back from a long day of sight seeing and the temperature comfortable. In the lobby they have available coffee and hot water for tea. It was nice just to be able to go down to the lobby and go back to the room without going outside. The staff at the front desk was very knowledgable and were helpful! They even helped me fix a minor suitcase problem! For 2 gals touring Boston for the first time it was a great vacation. They have all the visitors pamphlets in the lobby to help you plan your day. I would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank Kvegas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 June 2006

Pros:
-Location to Quincy Market; shopping; good food; harbor pier
-Wireless Internet access
-Great location to Boston's T (Blue line) with only 2 stops away from the Airport
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cons:
-Air Conditioner barely worked (not even sure it was A/C); asked for someone to look at it...never notified that anything was checked and/or fixed
-Lack of power outlets close to work space
-Free Internet; however massive internet filtering except for web traffic (higher ports are blocked); sorry business travelers may have difficulty getting to Corporate network; Instant Messaging is blocked
-Recommend NOT taking outside rooms...too much noise. Some genius decided that revving his Harley @ 2am was funny and necessary. Delivery truck backup signals, etc.
-Customer service could have been a little better.
-Insect problem in my room
-Bed was hard as a stone tablet. This hotel desperately needs to update the bedding; furniture; decor...
-Furniture, specifically a chair, was falling apart
-Window coverings were old and falling apart
-Windows were thin and had packing tape around the bottom rim...I can only assume as to what that is for!?!?
-Regular turnkey locks!?!? Com'n that isn't very secure!!! Regular bolt lock for second lock? If you have valuables...consider looking elsewhere.
-Cost was high considering what I got...it was inflated due to the business conference.

I considered several options for places to stay in Boston however specifically the location and Internet access. I thought that would trump everything else...I was wrong. Look realistically at all your options and what is most important to you on a trip and decide based off of that...I should have chosen sleep!

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 May 2006

We loved the location of the hotel,one block from the waterfront ,one block from Fanuli(sp?) hall and the T-stop was right outsid the door.The room was exatly as pictured online and we booked an atrium room based on reviews complaining about the noise in street facing rooms.We did not hear any noise,even on a Saturday night and we were there 6 nights.The room was clean and nicely decorated and a nice size.Now for the bad stuff.
The bathtub drain did not work and therefore I had to shower and missed taking my bath.
The bed was the worst bed I ever slept in,in hotel ! It sagged in the middle and we rolled toward each other.Since the room was so quiet we did not want to chance another room so we asked for more pillows and made them into a feather bed of sorts.The staff did not go out of their way to be friendly but hey,maybe thats part of life in the big city.I'd recommend the room we stayed in #436 but make sure they have put in a new bed!

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boulder Creek, California
Reviewed 12 May 2006

I have never been compelled to leave a review for a hotel but just had to, in this case.

We stayed for the nights of May 3rd and 4th of 2006, and expected a lovely, clean, and comfortable hotel, based on reviews. The outside of the hotel is beautiful, as is the lobby, but upon arrival to our room, we found several hairs on the shelf under the mirror in the bathroom, as well as the same colored hairs in our bed, and all over the carpet. It was so disgusting. I have never stayed in a hotel that was so filthy. My father's room wasn't much better...his carpet was also very dirty and covered in hairs/etc. Also, the A/C was not cooling the rooms properly and both rooms were warm throughout the night.

The hotel staff were very friendly, though - no complaints about them - and the location couldn't have been better, close to the water/aquarium, loads of fabulous restaurants, and super shopping. Just don't stay at this hotel if you're at all squeamish about things like finding 'other people's hair' in your bed! I have never stayed in a filthier place!!

Stayed May 2006
4 Thank CaliforniaGirl70
Chicago
Reviewed 8 May 2006

I just got back from my weekend trip to Boston. The Haborside Inn is a great little hotel centrally located. We were in walking distance to almost everything! The Quincy market, the North end, bars and dance clubs along with Faneuil hall whre all less than a 5 minute walk. The only down fall to our stay was the rude gentleman that worked the evenings, not helpful at all! Also, when booking here be sure to request a room off of State Street for it gets noisy late a night due to the two bars the hotel is situated between. I would stay here again due to location!

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank D're
nevada
Reviewed 21 April 2006

Fabulous location, but room was noisy, hot, and in slight disrepair. I'd stay again if I had to, but would probably look elsewhere first.

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank nevadanancy
Sheffield
Reviewed 23 March 2006

We stayed at this hotel for three nights as part of a USA winter holiday and I would really recommend it based purely on the location. I would agree with all of the previous reviews that the location is just spot on - especially for nightlife - pubs and restaurants are within easy walking distance. I had previously stayed at the Omni Parker and preferred the location of the Harborside.

Due to previous reviews I faxed the hotel to request a quiet room and did not receive a reply. However on check in we were able to switch to an atrium room. This was fairly quiet, however, the atrium does have a strange echo effect so even a sneeze on the ground floor reverberated around. The room we were in also had very little natural light despite windows to the atrium.

We didn't find the area particularly noisy and were disappointed not to see any Ho's (see previous review) but there seemed to be lots of "frat boys" around - students to us Brits!

The decor was ok, but the coffee in the lobby was either cold or empty. Far better to go to Dunkin Donuts two blocks up.The subway is right outside the hotel, but you might struggle if you have heavy cases.

On the whole we found the hotel to be excellent value for money with a great location. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2006