“Not what we expected from their advertising”
Review of Harborside Inn

Harborside Inn
Ranked #51 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Cleveland, Ohio
“Not what we expected from their advertising”
Reviewed 20 November 2006

I was in Boston for a weekend visit. to do some shopping. I travel quite a bit for pleasure and business. We were very disappointed with this hotel. It is in a good location, you can walk everywhere or take the T, but with that also comes the noise from VERY busy nightclubs on both sides of the hotel.

Our room looked nothing like the photos on the internet, we had a cityview room. There were very small windows with a ledge that hadn't been painted in years all the paint was chipped off on the floor. The bathroom was dirty, walls dirty, sink cracked, tub old. The floors were not clean, we pulled out the so called sofabed (it is a chair) and the sheets were dirty with crumbs etc. I called downstairs to get some clean sheets, they just dumped them on the bed when we were out, didn't even make the bed or take the dirty bedding away. It was just a very beat up room from the broken blinds, dirty curtains and smelled like stale smoke.

The photos on the internet showed large windows, nice large rooms and brick walls...ours looked NOTHING like the photos. Low ceilings, small, and very small windows.

It was loud at night with the nightclubs untill about 2am. If you want to stay somewhere relaxing and quiet this is not the hotel. I love to go out and we had a good dinner and drinks a couple doors down, the crowd at the bars next door were loud and rowdy.

I have stayed at hundreds of hotels all over the country and world, I will not return to this hotel even though it is a excellent location to see the city on foot! I will stay at the Marriott or another boutique hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty rooms, false advertising on website.
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not expect much
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank NMF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
jacksonville
Reviewed 3 November 2006

I had the pleasure of staying at this Beautiful hotel and was totally amazed at how well the rooms are layed out and the location of the Hotel to the many sights and sounds of Boston...Price wise it is almost 40% less than other hotels in the area...

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — not too much
  • Tips/Secrets — have fun and enjoy
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank josephmichael
Boston
Reviewed 30 October 2006

Prime location surrounded by retail, restaurants and tourist attractions.

Rooms are spacious and clean.

Staff very friendly and attentive.

We did some shopping and found this hotel to be about $100 less per night than the other hotels in the area.

We look forward to returning because we learned that the hotel is under going a complete make over. The new owners are going modern with the decor which will be finished next spring.

Overall an excellent experience.

• Liked — Location and price
3 Thank Melanie_Day
Lockhart Texas
Reviewed 18 October 2006

I stayed at the Harborside Inn for two nights. The location is perfect for seeing Boston. The rooms were big, and I think they are all suites. That is what I had. I am sold on the hotel. I have stayed at some of the other major hotels in downtown Boston, and this is by far a great place to stay. The small, cozy atmosphere of the lobby is welcoming. Best of all, the customer service was Excellent. The manager was on duty most of our stay and his positive attitude made our trip. Traveling all over the country, it is hard to get good customer service, but he was one of the best. What else is there to say, it was great!!!

• Liked — customer service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank sloanmalone
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 15 October 2006

I spent a long time searching for hotels in Boston and this one just scraped in under our budget however now I have stayed there I think I may have actually paid more.
As soon as you walk in through the front door this hotel oozes character - literally 30 second walk from Quincy market so location also couldnt be better for the tourist. Front desk extremely friendly and efficient.
This hotel has option of atrium or city view rooms and in hindsight I may have payed the additional for a city view for a little extra light however the atrium was fine for us.
The whole hotel including our room was clean and tidy and everything we wanted.

• Liked — Location and Character
  • Tips/Secrets — The hotel does do car parking for nominal fee but tell them when you book you need it
2 Thank andy1881
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 September 2006

People take the time to write negative reviews but seldom write positive ones. I knew when we got home I had to write one. I only hope after reading my review, and even other reviews, people will make the right decision and give this place a chance. I am not one to typically go out of my way to even write such a thing as this hotel testimonial; but I felt compelled enough to do so after the great experience we had there. I recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone; and I promise you, you will not be disappointed!

Location: The heart of Boston is definitely beating here! I have never been to a city that takes its history so proudly and eloquently. It was very impressive! Quincy Market, or as the locals call it, Faneuil Hall (Took me all day to figure out that they are one in the same) is about 100 yards from the front step of the hotel. And the “T” (subway) is also right outside. Don’t get me wrong, at night it did feel like the wildside came out of some people, and with a bar/club to the left of the hotel, it did pick up and my thoughts were “Oh great, we are never going to get to sleep”. I even went to the front desk and asked if this was going to go on all night and he said we should be ok when we go to our room. Going up in the elevator I cringed at what I assumed was going to be a long night. I eat my words now; we had one of the best nights sleep in a long time.

The Hotel: I had my husband (of two days) make our reservations, sight unseen, because the “price and location” were right where we wanted to be. His pick was right on the money yet again…the first was having me as his new bride! Coming from a small town in the Midwest, and knowing everyone in town, I did not know what to expect in Boston.

If I could have wrapped up Calvin and taken him home with me, I certainly would have! His true smile and charm every time we went to the front desk asking where and what to do in Boston, made us realize that we had made the right choice in hotels, even after reading some of the less positive reviews.

We end our Honeymoon with a big hug from Calvin and knowing that Boston will aways be part of our lives...

Courtney and Matt

• Liked — Calvin, Location, Quality
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring walking shoes. Ask questions
10 Thank IJC
NY, NY
Reviewed 21 September 2006

I recently stayed at the Harborside Inn for a wedding. My husband and I along with several friends all booked rooms for 2 nights and lasted 1 night! I am not sure were to begin. I hope you continue to read and take this review very seriously, because I would hate for you to have the same experience if it could be avoided.
This "Inn" is nothing like what it looks like online... It was the worst! Dirty is an understatement.... My friend had crumbs in her bed (and they weren't hers because we were frightened to eat or touch anything in this room). The whole building smelled, my room smelled so bad we actually changed rooms. Getting drunk helped all of us return to our rooms the first night, but we all had the same experience..... a night of scratchy sheets, air shutting off in the middle of the night (FYI there are no windows so NO air!), and the fear of bed bugs!!!! If this isn't bad enough I will end with this important fact.... a few of us wouldn't sit when going to the bathroom!
You can stay in a room with windows, however, reviews that we read said to avoid doing this because it is really noisy at night (there is a bar next door). The staff is unkind and not helpful. The nicest part was that we weren't penalized for canceling the 2nd night and got our money back without a fight!
I too have read negative reviews of places and decided to go ahead with it anyway and it has been great. I know the pictures on line look wonderful, but please believe me this place is scary bad! We ended up sharing a room the 2nd night with our friends at the Marriot and it was a wonderful experience.

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — Having to stay!
  • Tips/Secrets — AVOID AT ALL COST!
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
7 Thank schnel
markhagopian9, Owner at Harborside Inn, responded to this review, 17 October 2006
Exagerated innacurate review.

One thing I do belive is that this guest was admittingly drunk.

Also they admit to being afraid to eat, touch things and afraid of imaginary bugs?????

Facts:
We look exactly like the pictures on line.

Are sheets are 250 thread count linen. Not scratchy
We have windows in all our rooms.

I'm very sorry this person did not have a good experience at our hotel but reviews of this exagerated nature are not helpful to any one except maybe to entertain themselves and their friends .

Please don't believe this review.