DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside
Ranked #59 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Plano, Texas
“Just OK”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Check out my photo of laundry on my hall. Thought I had gotten off on the service elevator by mistake. What kind of management can think this is a good idea.

Positives: Desk staff very friendly and most awesome jogging/bike trail around the harbor just a short walk away through the parking lot.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Stephen_Pole, General Manager at DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
We greatly apologize for the unnecessary frustrations you experienced. Our goal is to meet and exceed every guests' expectations and we are terribly sorry we failed to do so on your visit. We would love the chance to gain some additional information so we can follow up with our Housekeeping Team. At your convience, please reach out to me directly or contact Soraya.Chang@hilton.com, our Executive Housepeeper.

I'm glad you enjoyed the running and bike trails near the hotel. We are fortunate to be so close to such a great beach with great areas to get a little exercise.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is a scaled down version of the other Doubletrees where I've stayed. There's a snack bar and grill, not really a restaurant. And there are not other restaurants within walking distance. But it's been newly renovated, and the rooms are comfortable. Also, close to a T station (local train/subway).

Reviewed 18 May 2014

we were able to stay the night before our trip and leave our car at the hotel.....we feel very comfortable leaving our car in good hands....since we had had problems with a few other places!! we have been staying with them every trip for the last 7 years and wont stay anyplace else in the Boston area!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Denver
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Hotel is mediocre, overall, but the manager is the reason that I would not recommend this hotel to any woman. Check in was all right, but do watch out for the cookies they're so proud of, which are 310 calorie grease bombs (read the package and decide whether you really want to eat that)! While there's no dining room there's a tacky little snack bar where you can at least get a salad or sandwich. I waited for a while in the bar but no one offered to serve me, so eventually just took my salad to my room and went to bed. I didn't sleep well due to noise from the heating system (see below) but it was an average, if overpriced and not perfectly maintained, hotel room with a view of a parking lot.

The next morning about 9:30 am there was a light tap on my door and then the housekeeping staff tried hard to open it (fortunately I had the latch on), despite the "do not disturb" sign; eventually I got some clothes on and answered and explained that I was still there. I called the front desk to find out when checkout was, and they said noon, which is what I had thought. When I asked why they were so eager to have me out more than 2 hours before checkout, he simply put me on hold and never came back. So eventually I hung up, got dressed and started packing. Twenty minutes later the phone rang. It was the manager calling to start an argument with me about whether there had been a sign on the door (really, there was). I told him I'd just leave, as I didn't exactly feel welcome, and he started yelling at me, so I hung up. When I went to check out, there he was again, Mustafah I think his name was, wanting to argue further. I am a professional woman in my 50s traveling alone on business, which I do often; perhaps a male guest or couple would have a different experience. Middle eastern men like the manager of this hotel sometimes disapprove of women traveling alone (or perhaps just women in general) and try to intimidate them, and that was definitely how my experience at this hotel felt, as he continued to try to argue with me and get me to agree with statements that I knew were simply not true--I know that there was a "do not disturb" sign on my door, for example, because I put it there myself. But even if there wasn't, housekeeping walking into my room hours before checkout is unacceptable and deserved an apology, instead of the scolding I got from the manager for daring to complain. The manager's patronizing tone and insistence on arguing with me (despite the fact that he was wrong--his staff seems to have lied to him) was unpleasant, to say the least. I was shaking when I left, and am still angry many hours later. This is not the place for an unaccompanied woman, that's for sure.

Neighborhood is bleak, coffee maker was broken on one side, toilet flushes so vigorously that it sprays aerosols of nasty water and the room and bathroom, while stylish, were far from meticulously clean (think dust on ledges and grime in corners, and something sharp that I stepped on twice but couldn't locate embedded in the carpet).

This hotel is overpriced for what it is, even without the argumentative and patronizing attitude of the manager and the intrusiveness of the housekeeping staff. The heater was so loud I finally just turned it off so I could sleep and still I could hear the heater in the room next door turning on and off with a sound like a vintage garbage disposal. Altogether an unpleasant experience. Save yourself the aggravation--there are lots of hotels in this price range closer to better parts of Boston. And if you're a woman traveling by yourself this is definitely one to avoid..

1 Thank FeralTraveler
Stephen_Pole, General Manager at DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had during your recent stay with us. We do our best to ensure every guest and team member are respectful of each other so that all may enjoy their stay and we regret having dropped the ball. We have shared your concerns with our security and facilities teams so we may work to better preserve the comfort of our guests moving forward. We hope you will give us another chance to show you the quality hospitality you deserve, should you return to our area in the future.

Stephen Pole
Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Let's get the negative out of the way. The hotel is in the middle of a wasteland. There is no place in walking distance to grab a bite to eat or to shop. Only place close to see is Harbor Walk. Nice views but you have to walk across a vast parking lot to get there. Again, there are no shops or anything on the walk. But the harbor view is nice. The Red Line is only a couple blocks away but the area does not look the greatest. Now the good. Great and friendly staff. A maid even helped us with our room key when we had trouble opening our door. The rooms nice calming colors. ( I think the hotel was recently renovated.) The bathroom spacious. The bed to die for. Usually after you vacation you can't wait to get home to sleep in your own bed. My bed felt like a torture rack compared to the Doubletree's. They do have a very small bar area. Also an adequate Market/Deli so you can have meals. The usual fruit, cereal, muffins, sandwiches, snacks, etc. Would not stay at this location again. They do have another one in Boston that I believe is more centrally located. Tip: when you pick up the Boston map at the front desk, also pick up the Old Town Trolley Sightseeing map. We used it quite a bit. Easier to read and shows where attractions are.

Room Tip: Might want to ask for a room in the back of the hotel so you have a harbor view. We had a front view...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Faith P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel is average, at best.

The good:

The room was nice & very clean. I like the Double Tree line's bathrooms, which feel quite upscale.

The shuttle drivers were very nice, quite funny, and accommodating... they took us to our choice of restaurant, even though it wasn't on their service list.

The bad:

No restaurant in the hotel & a lackluster deli.

The room was HOT. I turned the air conditioning all the way down, and still baked all night. If I had been staying more than one night, I'd have demanded a different room.

When I called the lobby to get the shuttle to pick us up at the airport, the phone rang 20 times before someone answered & I was then put on hold for more than 5 minutes. That's ridiculous when all I wanted was to know where to catch a shuttle that was already on its way to the airport.

Other Double Trees had mini fridges & offered me cold bottled water... this one has neither.

Charging for Wi-Fi in 2014 is an absurd show of greed.

I wouldn't choose this one again.

Monument, CO
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel has very limited meal options and no restaurants nearby. Internet is an extra charge. Breakfast is not included. Housekeeping is below average. Staff was friendly but Manager constantly had his head buried in paperwork. Shuttle driver was friendly. average hotel but a below-average value. Look elsewhere unless you really need to stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Stephen_Pole, General Manager at DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our dining options and guestroom comfort and we will keep your comments in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience moving forward. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town and let us know how we are doing.

Stephen Pole