“Ok hotel for the money”

DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Boston Bayside
Ranked #62 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 14 August 2009

I'm staying at this hotel at the moment. I decided to make a stop in Boston on the way home from a conference in Huntsville, and booked my flights a week apart without looking at the prices of hotels in Boston. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw how expensive Boston is, but found Doubletree Bayside for $119 a night, which was within my budget. A friend had stayed here last year, so I also felt reassured that it wouldn't be a total dump! Upon arrival at Logan Airport I found that they don't have a button on the courtesy bus panel, but the man at the information desk allowed me to use the phone there to call the hotel. The shuttle arrived in 15 minutes and found me no bother.

When I got the to the hotel the guy on the desk offered me a free upgrade to a king room, but not until the next day. I said yes (it was after midnight so I was just going to sleep anyway) However the girl on the desk the next day didn't seem to understand about the upgrade, so I didn't bother forcing the issue.

The room itself is on the 3rd floor, facing the front. It is kind of noisy, I'm not sure if it's road noise or from air conditioning units either side, but it's a dull roar that doesn't really bother me. What does bother me however is the stale smoke smell every time I come into the room. I assume that this used to be a smoking room and it hasn't been redecorated since. The whole hotel could use a bit of an overhaul, but it isn't falling apart or anything.

I've seen other reviewers say that there isn't anything within walking distance, but I woukd point out that there is a beach, the JFK Library and just down from the T stop is a Shaws supermarket and an off-license. There aren't any restaurant type places that I've found, but there is a Chinese that delivers til 1am (not the best tho) and the "cafe" in the lobby, which reguarly closes early and is pretty overpriced, so I've been getting most of my meals at Quincy Market in downtown (Aquarium or State T stops). If you have a week travel pass ($15 for 7 days versus $2 a ride otherwise) it isn't much bother to hop on the train and go into town (25 minutes or so including walking time). There is free wi-fi in the lobby and a business centre, but the in-room wi-fi is totally overpriced at $12.95 per 24 hours (August 2009). They don't mind you sitting in the lobby with a laptop though, and there are at least 4 or 5 people doing just that every night.

I'd still recommend it to my friends as we're all pretty poor, but overall I'd say if you've got more available, fork out for somewhere nicer.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed 10 August 2009

We use this hotel every month or so for a 1 to 2 night stay. Our daughter abd son-in-law live in Savin Hill - the next T stop from the JFK Library station so this is very convenient. We drive in from theother end of the state and can get to the supermarket arond the corner very easily. We enjoy riding the T to get around the city. Visited the Gardener Museum this trip. We usually use the AAA rate and have been very fortunate in gettng lower than usual rates for the times we have stayed. The only don side is that the Au Bon Pain in the hotel usually has only one person working which makes for a long wait on occaision.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night in July 2009. It is a reasonable place to stay, close to the subway station, and the area did not feel unsafe even after dark. Plus the hotel provides shuttle to downtown and to the airport as well. There is a good cafe for breakfast in the lobby but the breakfast is not free.

My only complaint goes to the room, which was freezing when we got there as a result of overused A/C - it was on full, even though the outside temperature was near 20 degrees. True for many U.S. hotels, unfortunately.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2009

I went to Boston on vacation to see the city. The hotel is NOT in the downtown area. You have to walk though a construction area under the freeway to the subway. I didn't stay out after dark. There is no store, not even a 7 -11 or any type of restaurant within walking distance. The cafe on premises is not a cafe. It's place to get something to eat to keep from starving. The hotel is very noisy. Children running and slamming doors which shakes the building. It is not worth the money at all. I was there for 4 nights. I would have moved but upon check in they give you a contract that entitles them to charge a penalty if you check out early. I booked this hotel throught Hilton. I was very disappointed.
The one good thing. They asked their shuttle driver to drop me and pick me up at a restaurant on their way to the airport.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2009

We are currently staying in the Doubletree Club Boston Bayside. We are on a 5 week trip around the States and so far, this is the most disappointing hotel. The regular rate for a standard room is $ 209, we got it much cheaper through our travel agency but if you compare the regular rate to what you get it's just ridiculous.
First of all, there is no free Wireless Internet in the rooms, you have go down to the lobby. If you want Internet in your room you have to pay $ 12.99 per 24 hours, per user. It's the first time we've encountered something like that, even in the Days Inn Motel we got free Internet in our rooms, and that was a lot cheaper.
The room smells of smoke, although it's a non-smoking room. When we got into the room, a lamp was missing the lightbulb and shade. The hotel looks very run-down if look a bit closer and could use some renovating. The room service did not remove the trash and today I found a long, black hair on my pillow (none of us has black hair).
The location is quite good, it takes about 10 minutes to go into downtown Boston with the subway. But other than that, the hotel is a disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2009

The hotel sits some miles from the centre of Boston however can be reached via the underground with the station about a 5 min walk from the hotel this isn't really a problem but mind the roads en-route to the station as they are busy. A hotel shuttle bus runs into Boston 2 times a day & picks up from the Double Tree Hotel in downtown Boston which can be helpful. A nice touch is a free drop off & pick up from Logan airport at any time by the shuttle bus but make sure to call the reception to book all shuttle bus trips!!
The down side to this hotel is the noise from inside. The hallways seem to echo any noise made. The sound of doors being closed/noisy guests/people making mobile phone calls in the hall seem to be amplified making sleep nearly impossible,
Clearly a big issue when you need a good nights rest

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I was very happy with the Doubltree Bayside. It was a great deal and still close via the subway. It was clean and the staff was very helpful. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family