“Good Location, but very dreary hotel rooms”
Review of Colonnade Hotel

Colonnade Hotel
Ranked #18 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Dublin
“Good Location, but very dreary hotel rooms”
Reviewed 15 October 2007

I stayed here for 2 weeks. I wasn't very impressed with the rooms in the hotel. Very old and in need of a revamp.

Staff were very friendly but that was the only thing I could recommend. That and maybe the location. Definitly would not stay here again.

Pool was closed even though the weather was still warm enough to swim. They seem to just close it on the same day every year, regardless of temperature.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank JJackson77
ColonnadeHotel, Manager at Colonnade Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2008
At the time of your stay, October 2007, all of our guest rooms were not yet renovated. As of December 2007, there were only brand new luxe rooms. We're so sorry that you had a bad experience and know that you would love our new rooms. The rooms renovation was quite expansive and each room was completely taken apart down to the concrete and built new incorporating the thousands of guest comment cards we reviewed. Our new luxe rooms were literally designed by our guests.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff's friendliness. The genuine staff, superb location and Roof Top Pool is what we have always been known for - the new guest rooms now match the service and location.

Our Roof Top Pool is the only one in Boston and very popular - so we can appreciate why you were disappointed that it wasn't open during your visit. The Roof Top Pool is open from Memorial Day until Labor day according to Boston city regulations. We agree with you -there are many days prior to Memorial Day and after Labor Day where the weather is perfect for the pool to be open. Unfortunately, we are limited to the time period aforementioned.

We hope you'll give us another shot. Thanks again for your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 September 2007

The Colonnade is definitely a hotel with a split personality.

I stayed two nights at the Colonnade while at a business meeting in late September and, despite a room rate of $239 a night, got a room that looked like a bad hold-over from the 1970s. When I got to the room, the thermostat was set to 50 degrees (I’m not kidding) but almost no air was coming out of the air conditioning unit and the room was quite warm.

After a call to the front desk clerk – who was less than helpful – I discovered that, though the air conditioning had a wall thermostat, the fan control was hidden under a panel on the unit itself. Once I found the fan control and turned it up, that problem was solved. I would have expected the clerk to know that very basic bit of information.

Though the temperature issue was resolved, the room was still a major disappointment. The décor (including the cheap molded plastic faucets in the bathroom) was dated and showing definite signs of wear. The wallpaper was actually peeling in places, the hinges on the bathroom door were rusted, the tile grout in the bathroom was less than clean, the shade on the desk lamp was badly cracked, and housekeeping had missed some cellophane wrappers dropped on the floor by a previous guest.

The rooms on the east side of the elevator bank looked better. Slightly less than half the rooms on each floor (19 out of 44) have been refurbished quite nicely with new furniture and carpet which have an Asian feel, nice wallpaper that isn’t peeling, and large flat-screen TVs.

The catch is, they’re $60 a night more than the others, and I’m told you have to specifically request a “Luxe” room. (My room was considered “deluxe”. Maybe that’s some sort of inside joke.) If you book a room at the Colonnade through any method other than directly with the hotel, there’s no way to ensure you’ll get one of the new rooms.

I was told the renovations of the rest of the rooms would be completed between November and next April, but there was no renovation work underway anywhere on any guest floor during my stay. Hmmm…

Regardless, I don’t think the redecorating will thicken the paper-thin walls. Inside my room, I could very clearly hear the alarm clock and ringing telephone of the guest in the next room. Walking down the hall, could easily make out conversations people were having behind the closed doors of their guest rooms.

On the positive side, every staff member I encountered was polite, friendly, and helpful (apart from not moving me into one of the newer rooms). The food, both at the restaurant and catered into our meeting, was creatively presented and delicious. And the service – at the restaurant, the concierge desk, even the bellman – was very good. So it appears the Colonnade has a four-star staff; it’s just that more than half the rooms are barely two-star quality.

If you’re considering the Colonnade because of its convenient Back Bay location, there’s a Sheraton almost directly across the street. In any event, I’d recommend investigating other alternatives unless you are 100% certain you’ll be in one of the redecorated rooms. Otherwise, your room might as well be at a Motel 6. And a tired Motel 6 at that.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank TheTravelPro_us
ColonnadeHotel, Management at Colonnade Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2008
We are very sorry that you had such a poor experience in Sep 2007 but happy to report that every one of your concerns has been rectified in our recent twenty million dollar reinvention.

As of December 2007, every guest room in the hotel has been completely renovated from the inside out. Brand new floor to ceiling windows and digital thermostats address the temperature concerns you spoke about. The bathrooms and guest room amenties are state of the art including 37 inch HD televisions and DVD players as well as i-phone and ipod alarm clocks.

We can appreciate your "split personality" description as not all rooms were complete when you visited. You mention that you were told renovations would be completed between Nov - Apr but no renovation work was underway. We're happy to report the renovation is complete and only new Luxe rooms are available. 100 percent.

If it was just a "redecoration", we would agree with you regarding the walls. However, we took every room down to the foundation and rebuilt them to include new walls, ceilings, electrical, windows etc.

Thank you for your nice comments on the friendly staff - we're delighted to report that this is something that has not changed.

Based on your experience, you recommended trying another chain hotel nearby but we encourage you to give this locally owned independent luxury hotel one more chance. We know you'll love the new Colonnade Boston Hotel.
portland, or
Reviewed 25 September 2007

Although our group of 8 arrived at the same time, some of our party received "renovated rooms", while the other half got stuck on the outdated, musty, woefully inadequate green carpeted side. No better than a 1-star motel, for $500/nite I was tortured to 70's stank carpet, hard bed, lumpy pillows, thin bedding, noisy street, grey towels....and SOMEONE ELSE's HAIR on my sink. I asked to be moved 3 times, and never was satisfied with the condition of the rooms. Although my colleagues slumbered in renovated loftiness, all I can say is that I hate this hotel. Who doesn't have coffee makers in the rooms anymore???

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank keryninbali
Pa.
Reviewed 17 September 2007

It seems as if The Colonnade is trying rest on the fact that it is a good location. If I had booked a room at the Ramada or some other mid-scale hotel, I probably wouldn't have been too dissappointed. But when a hotel advertises itself as upscale and luxury, my expectations grow a little.
The positive -location, as every other reviewer wrote. Real convenient to just about anywhere you need to get to. But at some point you have to return to the room you paid a nice little sum for.
This hotel is going through a renovation. Good thing. When I called to confirm my reservation, the man said renovations would begin again in the spring, which means half the hotel is renovated. I also requested a renovated room(after reading other reviews), since my wife and were getting away for an anniversary trip weekend. The gentleman said it shouldn't be a problem, and made note of it. I was excited. Until check-in, when the girl at the front desk(who could use a little more enthusiasm when talking with guests) told me it would be an extra 60.00 a night for the newer rooms.
This would be a handy piece of information to have when confirming the reservation. I opted not to upgrade, and in hind-sight, I'm happy I didn't. One of the maids showed us the upgraded room. Same size, just flat screen TV, new linens and carpet. Nothing special.
The age and neglect of this hotel hits you the minute you get off the elevator. You know that musty smell of an old beach house? Yep. The room? Same smell. Very 70's-ish with worn out bed spreads and a 25 inch TV. I pulled an end table away from the wall to look for an outlet and found old crumbs lining the baseboard. I don't need real fancy, just give me clean and well maintained. It's a real shame that nobody seems to notice the small things anymore.
Again, If I booked a lower-scale property for less money, I probably would have expected what I got and moved on. Go to the Colonnade's web-site and you'd expect more. I cannot recommend this hotel

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — value, not what I expected, lack of up-keep
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dever
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2007

More tourist than luxury, the Colonnade occupies a prominent and useful location in the heart of "Back Bay", bordering both commercial and residential areas.

The favoured room view looks out on the modern Prudential Center, while some may prefer the rear view which reveals a more eclectic and residential mix.

The proximity of the Prudential Center provides a vast choice of shops and restaurants, while many other Boston attractions are within walking distance.

I chose this hotel for the rooftop pool, which is popular among guests and Bostonians alike. Access is by elevator to the top floor and then one flight of the emergency stairs, which is exactly what they look like.

Please note that the pool closes immediately after Labour Day, which is not clear from the hotel's web site.

Free internet access is available to those who join the hotel's free loyalty club "I Prefer".

An all round good choice for those looking for an open air pool and/or a comfortable and well located property.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Bland corridors
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
Cincinnati
Reviewed 5 September 2007

This place was okay - spacious room looking right at the Tower, cool, well furnished bathroom (a bit small, kind of a European feel). The room was well appointed, with a very comfortable bed and pillows. It was quiet at night - got a great night sleep. Shopping, Sox, and Convention Center all in easy walking distance. On the downside, the restaurant waiters were snobs, no coffee in the room, and the TV was from the 70s.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 24 August 2007

We were booked into this hotel when our reservations were messed up at the Marriott Copley Place. The price they wanted for this room on a Friday night the Sox were playing was highway robbery. Our room - 720 I think - was tiny and had a bit of a funky smell. Worst thing was that the roll-away bed they brought us was infested with spiders, and my daughter was bitten twice before she ended up sleeping on the floor with the spare pillow and blanket from the closet. The in-room internet didn't work so I couldn't get my evenings business done. very frustrating. The single robe and rubber duckey in the bath was the only hints that this was supposed to be a luxury place. I've had better rooms for $89.00 in smaller cities.

• Liked — well, we had a bed when we thought we might be on the street.
  • Disliked — Spiders. I hate Spiders.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business