“Excellent indeed”

Ranked #17 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Fremont, California
“Excellent indeed”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I had a good feeling about Colonnade right away when I stepped in and that feeling kept getting better and better the longer I stayed there. Staff at the reception, concierge and bell boys were all extremely helpful and polite. I have to give them credit for all the useful and objective tips and friendly attitude.

We got a spacious double room with queen sized twin beds from the top floor. I just loved the stylish and fresh interior of the room, the beautiful bathroom with double doors and a little yellow bath duck. The window wall was all window, from floor to roof and the view was great. I could see all away to Fenway Park from up there.

Location is perfect. If you arrive by train, Back Bay Station is just like 5mins walk from the hotel. Nearest subway station (Prudential Station, Green Line E) is just in front as the Prudential Center itself. There´s also a dry cleaner / coin laundry just around the corner (W Newton St.) and great breakfast place called Thornton´s a block from the hotel (150 Huntington Av.).

If you want to eat your breakfast at the hotel, it will be served in Brasserie Jo, which is like the hotel´s own restaurant just next door. Breakfast was ok there, food was good, but in my opinion the place was a bit overpriced and service was, yes, polite but also stiff, cocky and cold. I wouldn´t go there again, cause there are so many other breakfast places in Boston having friendly staff and great value for food.

I have heard and red that the hotel has also quite a great roof top pool, but unfortunately it was closed during my stay cause it was raining all the time.

I really liked the hotel and I would definitely recommend Colonnade to everybody!

Room Tip: Top floor room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NH
Reviewed 15 August 2011

This hotel has a great location for shopping, dining and siteseeing. The room was very comfortable and the bed and linens are great.
Bummer that parking is so pricey and that the staff is NOT so friendly.
The Concierge needs a attitude adjustment, he clearly isn't happy at his job.
As for the restaurant Brasserie Jo, my girlfriends and I walked in around 11pm and went straight
to the bar. There were only 2 others sitting and probably around 10 others at the tables behind us. Anyways, we sat at the bar for about 10 minutes and didn't even get a glance from the bartender. 2 others walked in and stood behind us and the bartender turned around and asked them what they wanted to drink. In my eyes, this is poor service and just for that reason, I would never go back there again.
Roof top pool is pretty cool but smaller than the picture appears. We checked in at noon on saturday and around 1ish made our way to the pool. Dissapointed that there were no chairs to sit, so we went shopping instead.
All in all, the experience wasn't so great and I probably would not stay again.

Room Tip: make sure to read trip advisor before booking, I failed to do so on this one!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Boca Raton
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Our room was clean and spacious, the staff at the front desk and concierge desk were really friendly and very helpful. And the hotel is in a great location. We appreciated the floor to ceiling windows in our room and had a nice view of the Prudential Center. We only had one issue. We asked the same front desk attendant two times if he could arrange for turn down service and for some reason he couldn't get it done. However, all of the other staff were terrific. Great service and restaurant recommendations from the concierge. We would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ldubdc
New Brunswick
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Our first trip to Boston for a little family getaway & the location is excellent for getting around. Hotel was nice, the public areas wide open & uncrowded, a consideration when that was the only area to get free wifi. Room we were in had 2 queen beds, bathroom was large with marble counter & full wall mirror. Showerhead was "lowish": for me at 5'10, I think if I was 6'4 or something it would be a pain, but no biggy for us. The doors to the bathroom were double french doors with the knobs not meant to be turned, you just pull to get in our push to get out & that explains why one of them was loose & fell off during our stay but when we told the front desk they had it repaired while we were out for the day, again, no biggy. All the staff were friendly, helpful, & very professional. The main reason we had booked this hotel was because of the rooftop pool, which we were looking forward to with the temperatures hittting 100F a couple of the days we were there, but the Friday night when i went up to check it out, it was packed, not with families but with what appeared to be young professionals, so I didn't bother, but our 17 year old son liked the scenery :) & swam a couple of nights.Onsite parking was very convenient, the halls on our floor have a smell I couldn't put my finger on, it wasn't overpowering, but it was noticeable when walking down the hallway. The Prudential across the street was very handy, as were all the shops on Newbry 2 blocks away, & the T subay right there too. Rooms were very quiet, they were doing some road work at the intersection right below our room & we could not hear the jackhammers while in our room our in the hotel which was quite impressive. We had a great experience, will defintely be coming back, but next time, may check out the Sheraton, as it's in the same area, & was almost half the price & from the outside looks to be newer. Would definitley not hesitiate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank NBHabsfan
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Pleasant staff, good location, comfortable rooms, only issue was that at this price and
grade of hotel one had to pay for interent access in room.
Free access in Foyer/lobby.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank PeterADH
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I spend a lot of time at this hotel- this year it will be close to 40 nights. I am finishing a 3 week stretch at the hotel. I have had a lot of time to learn about the place...

First the strengths: 1) The rooms are uniformly excellent. The furniture, style and comfort are super. The bathrooms are modern, bright and clean. The linens and room maintenance are excellent. Rooms are bright, windows fill one entire floor to ceiling wall. There is a big TV, and nice Keurig coffee machine. 2) The gym is smallish, but well equipped. 3) The Brasserie on the first floor is fantastic. Truly super French food, in a beautiful art deco style. The service is super, the waiters and bartenders top-notch. The food is heavy, the wine French: many a nice night spent here. 3) Location is great. You are directly next to the Green Line E Train, and easy connections to the city. Lots of nearby shopping.

Now, the room for improvement: While it aspires to be a luxury option, service is what prevents it from approaching the true luxury leagues. The major barrier is a lack of attention to detail.

For a small independent hotel, customer relationships are sub-optimal. Despite spending 40 nights a year here, no staff member has ever addressed me by name, or even appeared to recognize me. Along this vein, CRM is not optimized at all. If I spent 40 nights at the Sheraton across the street, I would be recognized with a preferred status, or an upgrade, etc. In a small hotel, it might be a note from the manager, or a fruit plate. Here- in the middle ground, it's awfully anonymous.

Next, service can be very spotty. The staff are very pleasant when you approach them with an issue (in my case a broken toilet). But followthrough is generally poor: days to get a repair with no updates, little attention to the problem, etc. A call for housekeeping supplies was forgotten. Followthrough is the problem time and time again. This seems to hold for room service who can deliver on time, but who seem to pick up plates from the hall once a day. There seem to always be dishes in the corridors (and a perpetual food odor in the halls).

At any rate, will I continue to stay here? Probably (although the Copley Square is another nearly, recently renovated, fine choice). The rate/reward ratio is good, assuming you get a good rate. I like the room and the location. For most guests, the Colonnade is an fine choice for a short stay.

But is the Colonnade what it could be? Not quite. I'm not sure what the obstacle is: disempowered staff ...absent management? One way or the other, the guest experience is as anonymous as that offered by a large conference center Marriott.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Gate95
Houma, Louisiana
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The service was outstanding from check-in to check-out. The room service was outstanding, along with the guys up front, class act. The location is so nice and very easy to move around the City. So many great places to eat around the hotel. Nice size gym on the 5th floor with several carido machines. The Colonnade made my first stay in Boston a unique one and i will be back with my family. I felt very safe at all times and i felt like i was in the center of all activity with that location.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo