“I loved the service and the swanky decor.”
Review of Colonnade Hotel

Colonnade Hotel
Ranked #17 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 13 March 2010

I was impressed with the service. My son had an audition at New England Conservatory. It was our first time in Boston.We felt so welcome when Norman opened the door of the taxi and greeted us. He knew our names and that we were traveling from Pittsburgh.Albert helped us with our luggage and was very friendly . He showed us the amenities and gave me a rubber duckiie and then made sure my son got one later. Norman and Albert showed interest in my son's audition and also gave him some encouraging words. If my son goes to school in Boston, I will definitely stay at the Colonnade again.

1  Thank ErnieandBert1
Write a ReviewReviews (3,416)

Reviewed 12 March 2010

My wife and I like 4-star hotels and the Colonnade fits us in every way. We like to come into the City some weekends to escape our normal life. On this trip we did have a temporary inconvenience when my wife noticed that the rug was not spotless but we have never been moved to a second room so fast in our lives and #2 was indeed spotless. The view ! top floor with wall to wall glass looking straight down a busy street. The bed! so many pillows draw you in, then you find out that it is as comfortable as it looks. The thoughtfulness! Someone quietly slipped a note under our door with extras like free breakfast. The staff! Friendly but not fawning, attentive but not in your face. I can only imagine the full experience in late Spring when the rooftop pool opens. We want to return then to once again restore our souls in this urban oasis.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 4-star-traveler1952
Reviewed 12 March 2010

A warm and welcoming stay in the heart of this electric and breathtaking city! Recently renovated, the Colonnade offers guests beautifully appointed and comfortable rooms. The contemporary furnishings are chic and funky; the building's makeover, sleek and edgy. It's a perfect fit in the bustling Back Bay/Copely Square neighborhood where restaurants and shopping abound. Perhaps even more impressive than the design, is the hospitality provided by those who work there. Staff are friendly, kind and courteous, always willing to go that extra mile to make your stay more enjoyable. Look up Jimmy--just inside the front door--a Colonnade "gem" and one of Boston's most colorful ambassadors!

1  Thank javamanOttawa
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I have stayed at the Colonnade on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed. The saff consistently go out of their way to be friendly and helpful, the rooms are always clean, nicely decorated and comfortable, and the location cannot be beat. The T-stop is right out front, the doorman will always get a cab for you, and there are a ton of places to shop and eat all within walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank NUParent
Reviewed 10 March 2010

We had never been to Boston before; however, my twin girls are both interested in Boston Universities. The Cononnade hotel was the closest hotel to the 2 colleges we were looking at so I chose it. The 1 bedroom suite was so roomy for the four of us. The living room was very spacious with a pullout bed and a separate bathroom. My husband and I had our own bedroom and bathroom. We really like new and modern and this place fit our needs. The staff was outstanding. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Each time we returned to our hotel their the staff was there to greet us. They couldn't have been more helpful. I must say that I have never had faster room service. I received our food within 15 minutes of ordering. I am used to waiting an hour for room service. We ordered breakfast 3 times and each time it was delivered fresh ,hot, and quick. If my girls go to school in Boston, I will always stay here. Having the mall directly across the street was also a bonus. The shopping was excellent as well as the variety of restaurants that we ate at. I hope to return to the Colannade.

1  Thank champptg
Reviewed 10 March 2010

The room service was consistently the quickest I ever experienced anywhere, which is very important after a long day of travel. The order was accurate, hot and accompanied by all the appropiate condiments.
The rooms are clean with a nice view on the city side. I would recommend to stay on a higher floor if you are on the city side since it is a main street. It is quiet at night, but the buses are out early in the a.m.
The beds were clean and comfortable. Plenty of towels and wash cloths are available in each of the rooms without having to ask for extra. The bathrooms are modern and the water pressure is excellent!!!
While I have stayed there for a month of consecutive weeks (M-F), I found the staff to be very accommodating when I had a specific room request. The manager and front desk associates were very attentive to my needs when there was a temporary TV outage due to a storm.
There is a DVD player in each of the rooms in addition to the many stations and movie selections on the large, flat screen televisions. This is particularly convenient for me to bring along my exercise tapes. Speaking of exercise, the fitness center is excellent...very, very clean, well stocked with at least 5 treadmills, 3 or 4 eliptical, a couple of stationary bikes and a couple of stairmasters. Each time I went to the fitness center, early in the a.m., there were always plenty of cardio machines available. They offer towels, fruit and reading material and plenty of tv's. The only drawback is that it does not open until 6:00 a.m. I would prefer a 5:00 opening so that I can get to work by 7.

The hotel was quiet on each of my stays. Being just a short short block from the Copley Plaza, I could take a very short walk to be in the middle of the restaurants and activity, yet come back to the quiet of the hotel.
I will certainly be staying there again when my business brings me back to the Back Bay area of Boston.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank cjpGreatNorthWoods
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I just returned from a trip to Boston and a two-night stay at the Colonnade. The Colonnade's website promises "large rooms," but not mine. I was right next to the elevator with a large chunk cut out of my room to make room for the elevator shaft. The room was both small and noisy.

When I checked in, I asked if a room with a couch were available, and I offered to pay extra to get a large room with a couch. I was told no such rooms were available (I subsequently learned they indeed were available for the nights I was there--just not to me). I asked for a room on a high floor, away from any noise. I was put on one of the lowest floors, in an area where everyone had to walk by to get to their large rooms with couches. It was as if the young woman checking me were trying to thwart me in every way possible.

The door to my bathroom was broken (no handle, no lock).

Was I treated the way I was because I was a middle aged woman? I have no idea, but I am used to being treated well in hotels, so I will never return to the Colonnade and hope no one else will either. In fact, the only pleasure I had at the Colonnade (lying awake listening to the noise from the elevator) was writing this review in my head.

The adjacent restaurant, though, is lovely. I recommend you stay elsewhere (anywhere else) and eat breakfast or lunch at the Colonnade's lovely French bistro. The very French manager came over to my table to talk about restaurants we had both enjoyed in Alsace. HE knew how to make a patron feel good.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank BaltimoreRunner
ColonnadeBoston, Management at Colonnade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2010

We were very disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with your recent stay. Our staff did their best to accommodate the Complimentary Suite upgrade request. Unfortunately, we were unable to do so. We take great pride in treating all guests of the hotel with mutual respect while offering genuine and personal service; without regard for race, religion, age, creed or national origin. We apologize if you felt slighted in any way.