“A value for Boston”

Club Quarters Hotel in Boston
Ranked #47 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We loved our stay. We received exceptional customer service from host(s) & other staff. The room was a little on the small size; but it was very clean and efficient and super modern. It had everything we needed in a hotel room. For Boston, it was a very good price/value.

If we didn't know Boston so well, it might be a little difficult to find; but it is a good location to access most of Boston (Orange Line - State St. - is only a 2 minute walk away).

In the business center they might try and locate the printer and "printer control device" away from the p.c. so people can work on them separately.

If they had a hot tub, we'd have given it 5 stars.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sdpryde

Reviewed 10 September 2010

We picked this hotel as a sort of treat for ourselves and it had almost lived up to our expectations. It was clean and fairly comfortable. But the rooms and bathrooms were a tad small. We had what I guess was once a whole room they split into 2. We had no neighbors so there was no noise issues. But we could also clearly hear people passing our room.

The wireless internet tended to get backed up. And remember to bring a power strip if you need to use more than one outlet. The most available outlets were at the desk but we were not at the desk. Good thing we did not need the clock.

The free bottled water was very helpful in the middle of August. But perhaps it was because it was a weekend, but the hall closet of amenities was nearly empty. However a call to room service very quickly solved our pillow problem. (The pillows are not very full and fluffy so most likely you will need more.) We also had a ticking noise in our vent that maintenance couldn't hear but they at least came to look. I also made the change for a double bedded room only a few weeks before our stay and they were accommodating.

The immediate area is also very dead on the weekends. (Something that was very odd to someone from the NY area.) But it is only a few blocks from the nearest metro and the downtown area.

It was a little hard to find. Luckily we had GPS! I was also a little peeved on how much it cost to park the car for the weekend and there were no rates posted online but it is located downtown so I guess it should be expected.

Overall, the staff is decent and the location is very convenient. I wouldn't pay over $100/night again but if there is a better deal, perhaps I would consider it.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2010

On check in we were greeted by some moody staff, and when we went to our room we found that the extra bed that we had booked hadn't been set up. We asked reception if we could get it made up, again staff were very moody, and when we came back to our room the sheets were just left on the sofa bed, towels frayed. Rooms are a little on the snug side but comfortable. Staff weren't very helpful and didn't have much local knowledge

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Just came back from a 3 day stay there and i was so happy with my choice. i was able to get the SL1 bus (silverline to south station) for $2.00 on a charlie card (purchased at the terminal bagage claim area) and within 30 mins. i was checking in and getting ready to start my sightseeing. I would suggest you bring your own reuseable water bottle container as the hotel provides purified filtered water on each floor so you can always refill on your way to the elevators. They provide plastic bottles but anything to save the planet right? I found the room quite comfortable and efficient for a business traveler (since that is who it is geared to). I was surprised to not find an iron in the room but the floor has a blue guest services closet where they keep irons and extra pillows & coffee packs. Even though the front desk is manned, check in and check out is electronic via a touch screen. The shower stall has an adjustable height shower head which the taller folks will be happy for and the room does not have any drawer space except for the night stands but there is shelving in the closet. I was able to pay extra for a late check out and was able to spend my last day there sleeping in, having a leisurely breakfast and finishing up some sightseeing before comingback to the room to gather my bags and head out. I was able to walk EVERYWHERE except to the prudential center which i used the "T" for. I came home with money on my charlie card cause i didn't use it as much as i thought i would. They have a shopping area around the corner maybe 2 blocks up and a post office too. H&M, Macy's, Eddie Bauer outlet, and a host of others. the Filene's Basement is located on Newbury Street along with another slew on shops (I got off at the arlington stop by boston commons and walked from there).
I walked to the north end for italian, fanueil hall (and quincy market right behind it for more shopping and a huge food court), i also went to long wharf for the aquarium, whale watching etc.) Part of the freedom trail runs along there as well. I did not feel uncomfortable walking the area at night either.
the only down side i sound was the quality of the mattress - i expected a higher quality, a bit firmer or a pillow top perhaps but my back didn't hurt in the morning so it was good enough.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank daisytcam
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I recently returned from a three-day / two-night business trip to Bahsten. In all of my years of travel I have actually spent little time in this city. I more or less threw a dart at a dartboard on hotels.com and picked . . . this Club Quarters Boston (henceforth referred to as 'CQB'). As I always do, my review is broken down into the Great, Good, Bad, and Ugly. Ready? Here goes . . .

GREAT

* Location: for a business trip where one hopes to work in a little sight-seeing, just TRY to top this location. This hotel is a five minute stroll from the blue line (that takes you there from the airport) near the old state house and even closer to the bus line the other way (Otis & Summer) that will take you back & forth to the convention center. After work, many of the town's central historical districts and sites are a quick walk: the old state house (great museum), site of tea party, Freedom Trail, Union Oyster House & Bell in Hand Tavern, Faneuil Hall, Little Italy, etc., etc. I chose the CQB for location and it was better than expected.

* H20: It is a small gesture by the CQB for their guests but . . . wow, did I appreciate it. Instead of using bottled water to try to gouge their guests like 99% of the business class hotels I have frequented, the CQB provides bottles and purified water in neat in-wall units in the hallways for the taking. Boston is a very 'walkable' city and having bottled water is a must. I very much appreciated this.

GOOD

* Temperature: it's an issue in July and I found the room's temperature controls to be fantastic. One merely sets the desired temperature and the system does the rest - no constant adjusting and re-adjusting. When on, the system ran quietly - nice.

* Elephant & Castle: I didn't get to stop in for dinner but it's a big plus having this E & C pub (named for the famous London tube stop) adjoining the CQB as - in the IMMEDIATE area - your nighttime dining & drinking options will be otherwise limited.

* Service: the CQB has an automatic check-in that the front desk person was good enough to run me through and I found their staff (in limited interactions) to be pleasant.

BAD

* Yes, the rooms are small. It felt like staying in Europe - not that this is a particularly bad thing - and I do think the rooms make the most of their size. I had no problems but I was alone. Stay with a roommate or two and you'll feel it.

UGLY

* Wrapper: on one hand, I think there is real emphasis on cleanliness at this hotel but . . . . I did find a energy bar wrapper on the floor from a previous guest just under the edge of the bed. I'll live, and the hotel does appear to be very clean overall.

BOTTOM Line Comments:

* Come with accurately calibrated expectations (applies anywhere, really) and you will not be displeased with the CQB.

* While in town, take some time to re-acquaint yourself with our nation's founders and their epic story of striving for self-guidance and limited government. I suggest the excellent museum at the old state house.Their lessons need to be remembered more than ever today.

* Should I get to come to this nice city on business again, I will return to the CQB.

Feel free to write with Q's.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank ShoelessJeff
Reviewed 3 August 2010

With only two days in Boston, we were pleased with the central location of Club Quarters. Was a little noisy being close to the ice machine and vending machines, but otherwise happy with the hotel. Easy walking distance to Boston Common, the harbour, LIttle Italy and many of the historic sites.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Perfect room for the one night I stayed, but I don't know if I would stay there longer. It's clean and modern, but tiny and the showers are the European style of tiny shower. The ironing boards and irons are in the hallway and it doesn't have room service. It feels lik a high end boarding room. Even the front desk is unusual, with one person standing in what feels like the middle of a hallway. I would recommend it for a solo traveler on a short trip.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo