“A bit of Americana....” 4 of 5 bubbles

Johnnie's Drive In
Ranked #10 of 193 Restaurants in Tupelo
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Mattoon, Illinois
“A bit of Americana....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We arrived in Tupelo a little after 1:00 in the afternoon. We chose Johnnie’s Drive-Inn as our lunch spot. The place has been around a while - I did not find out just how long, but long enough for it to have served Elvis Presley during his early years. In fact they proudly point to the Elvis connection with pictures on the wall and a sign which designates the booth that Elvis sat at.

They are known to have good burgers and onion rings so that is what we had (plus fries, soft drinks and, oh yes, some ice cream - in the form of two small chocolate shakes.) The Elvis booth was occupied when we arrived but they left and one of the waitresses took our picture sitting there.

Eighteen bucks, including tax and tip.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank joan&mike

Tennessee
“Thursday lunch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped in to check out place. Parking lot very tight and confusing because you can order from a carhops. Went inside and food was fair. Bathroom was tiny, outside and used by men and women. Felt like a dirty closet.

1 Thank dtrail6203
Orlando, Florida
“Going back for breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

My husband & I both had the cheeseburger plate, I had onion rings with coleslaw, my husband had the fries. I also had the chocolate milk shake! Omg ! They couldn't have been any friendlier except for picking up our check. I asked the waitress what she recommended? She asked how hungry were we? Best burger we've had in a really long time! I noticed on a sign outside that the owner was a Viet Nam veteran, and they support "Wounded Warrior" project. I asked the man working the register if he were the veteran? I Thanked him for his service! Very friendly people, asked where we were from, asked us to sign their guest book behind the counter & gave me a special pen with the businesses name on there! We're going back for breakfast! Love all the Elvis memorabilia!

1 Thank Letsgomets05
Stockport
“amazing Elvis burger”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Just an experience you have to try, Elvis did it and so can you. Have the Elvis burger and sit in the same booth as the King himself did. The locals are superb.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Sandraw7
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Was... Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

The place was cool for it's age and historic Elvis elements. But the food and service were average. But it was nice to see it once and sit in the Elvis booth.

Visited March 2014