“Comfortable, but internet is very slow”
Review of Courtyard Tupelo

Courtyard Tupelo
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Tupelo
Virginia
“Comfortable, but internet is very slow”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This hotel appears to have been recently renovated and was very comfortable. However, the internet service is very slow. I measured it several times on speedtest.net and, at certain points, it was as slow as .25 mbps (compared to my Comcast home service which typically measures more than 20 mbps). As a business traveler, I would not stay at this hotel again unless they upgrade the hotel's internet service.

Room Tip: I had room 125 on the first floor. It was surprisingly quiet, even when the hotel was full of kids.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ethel, Louisiana
Reviewed 5 February 2013

This was our second stay here, first after the renovation. Everything went smoothly at check in, the staff was friendly and knowledgeable. The room was clean and fresh smelling, with the standard Courtyard brand furnishings. We ate at the bistro for dinner, this was a nice switch from the previous buffet style service of Courtyard. Carlos was Great!!!!. We had a balcony facing the road but had little of the road or restaurant noise. This hotel will continue to be our stopping point when traveling the Natchez Trace!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 7 December 2012 via mobile

I travel every week for business and see alot of hotels. My room was clean and modern. The staff were great- very helpful. Nice location near restaurants and shopping. Enjoy the true southern hospitality and down home feel.

• Stayed December 2012
Portage MI
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We stayed here one Friday night. The hotel is nice, modern, and well-maintained. The breakfast was not included in the cost of the hotel and was expensive. There are two restaurants right in front of the hotel, and that turned out to be good and bad news. We ate at the Italian/Greek restaurant, which was good, but later found out that they have live band music in the evening, which was a problem. We had been put in a room on the front of the hotel, facing the restaurant, and the loud music was disturbing us. It took three trips to the front desk to get us moved to the back of the hotel away from the music. It would have been easy to have put us on the back side in the first place. Our original room had a balcony, which was worthless since it had no furniture. Our second room did not have a balcony, which made the room bigger and more accomodating.

Room Tip: Especially on a weekend night, ask for a room on the back side of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 11 September 2012 via mobile

I use to stay quite often at marriott cy but this one was a real dissapointment. The fitness room was well equipped but the receptionist was overchallenged when i told her that the water dispenser was empty and asked for a refill. She smiled and promised to get this do.e within next couple of days!!! Only after I started to complain, she agreed to get it refilled right away. I can only give 3 points for the cleaning as the wall behind the toilette looked disgusting...dont want to know what was on it ...and a cockroach zig-zaged between me feet when getting up at night. The a/c was very loud and not cooling! When reporting all of this the next morning, the receptionist (a different one!) Was very sorry and promised to get everything fixed and took 25 usd off the bill. Very positive was the breakfast. It was good and the staff was really friendly and I appreciated that it was not served on and with plastic!

• Stayed September 2012
Mya P, Manager at Courtyard Tupelo, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
’m concerned about the your experience at our hotel during your visit. I’m writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. Please accept my sincere apology.Please be assured that the issues you’ve raised have been addressed and the appropriate actions have been taken. Again I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

Yours In Hospitality,

Mya Page
Front Office Manager
Reviewed 8 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed here in June and after the first morning of cold shower, learned that even if I changed my room, that would not guarantee I would have warm water in the am, high use period. Got around this by taking shower in the evening. Staff said this was a problem but would not offer room discount. Stay at the Hilton instead until this gets fixed. Too bad because the rest was fine.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Mya P, Manager at Courtyard Tupelo, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
I apologize for the water situation during your stay. I know how that can make a horrible start to your day. That situation has be resolved. I hope you give us the opportunity to stay at our newly renovated Courtyard by Marriott in Tupelo again, and experience our sourthern hospitality.

Mya Page
Front Office Manager
Lancaster, KY
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The reason I chose to stay at the Courtyard was because of the outdoor pool while my husband was working.They say a King room will accommodate 4. But, here is not enough room for even two kids to sleep on the pull out bed, We have four people, so we had to switch rooms. The staff was very nice and quickly allowed us to change after the first night, but to our surprise the three consecutive days our key wouldn't work, It is very inconvenient to find out your key doesn't work day after day. After switching to our new room, we decided to go to the pool. After checking twice,it was 12:00, the pool still wasn't open. The same pool tools I had seen the night before were still out on the deck. So, I asked a staff member about the pool, and she called to find out why it wasn’t open. She said she would call us when maintenance was finished, but we never received a call. Finally, we just went downstairs, and the gate had been unlocked. Looking around the pool area, trash was filled to the top of the trash can, lots of cigarette butts and trash covered the pool deck, and bugs were in the pool. My daughter said the beer box hanging out of the trash can had an expiration date of 2011 on it. It may have been there that long because the trash was piled so high! When I looked in the pool there was a beer tab from a can on the bottom of the 5 foot, and it stayed there during our entire stay, along with an old, worn out water hose that remained there. The whirlpool was closed. It had a blue tarp halfway covering it. Bugs were all over the pool, so I decided to use the net to clean them out myself. I had to do that each day or else swim with the bugs. After about 5 minutes of laying out, my daughter said she smelled gas fumes, and I could smell them, too. Needless to say, we could only stay at the pool for about an hour before you became lightheaded. Windows were filthy and landscape grown up. Not what my perspective of what a Courtyard should look like.Since we couldn’t stay outside for very long, we wanted to use the internet. Once again, a huge Courtyard disappointment…on every device we had: three computers, an Ipad, and three Iphones. We could only get one bar of Wifi, and it was extremely slow. We were often dropped off the network after only five or ten minutes.
My last complaint is how you could hear everything and anything that was going on around you. Every time the people above us walked around you could hear them. So every morning we were up at 7 whether we wanted to be up or not. It was so loud there is no way anyone could have slept in. It was by far the most disappointed I have ever been in a Marriott hotel. I will never stay at this Marriott hotel again.The entrance, lobby, and rooms in this hotel are very nice and pretty, and the beds are comfortable

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family