“Courtyard Tupelo hates customers”
Review of Courtyard Tupelo

Courtyard Tupelo
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Tupelo
Reviewed 18 October 2008

My wife and I booked our room at the Courtyard Tupelo as part of a wedding block. When two of the guests called my wife (the Matron of Honor) to tell her they wouldn't be able to make it, she graciously offered to call and cancel their rooms since she had the phone number already. The next 14 hours consisted of repeated calls to at least 2 front desk clerks, the Front Desk Manager, and the property's General Manager where each one of them spent their time yelling at and insulting my wife instead of fixing the problem. It seems the staff there were more interested in hanging the charges for the unused rooms on the bride than on maintaining good will. The General Manager herself even accused my wife of lying about her intention to checkout if these charges weren't reversed. The charges were reversed in the end, but I'm unaccustomed to letting disparagements against my wife such as these go unanswered. With the exception of the weeknight 3rd shift clerk, the front desk staff was categorically rude to us on multiple occasions. This hotel should be avoided at all costs.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DeCorben

Reviewed 25 August 2008

This hotel was just exactly what we needed after a LONG day on the road with small children. The staff were very pleasant and helpful with us and genuinely sweet toward our kids. Over the course of two weeks of cross-country travel, this hotel was definitely among the cleanest we stayed at. Pool fine, workout room good, breakfast above average, with fresh fruit and other healthy options. I found this hotel to be exactly what one wants in the mid-priced range.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank twirlteam
Reviewed 13 August 2008

I booked this room through priceline.com and got it for $74. The room we stayed in smelled of smoke even the hotel is non-smoking. The carpets were well worn and so were the bedspreads. The bathroom was clean. I could handle the one night we stayed there, but any longer than that I would have had to check out early or request a different room. The employees were very friendly, but I probably wouldn't want to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Stacy T
Reviewed 4 January 2008

Got in to tupelo and saw the hotel.. got right in at $104 walk in. good price. very nice front desk person. comfy bed/room. standard hotel/ not much cons to hotel. altogether a good hotel. no restuarant on site, but an Outback steakhouse about 50 feet away.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 April 2007

My family stayed at the Tupelo Courtyard the last week of April for a family reunion. We are members of the Marriott rewards program and were able to book our rooms using reward points. This is the main reason we chose this property as well as its proximity to our relatives. I had stayed here several years ago and have to agree that on that occasion the staff was a bit lackadaisical, however, this time nothing could be further from the truth. From working out last minute changes to our booking, to warm greetings while walking through the lobby, to even a bit of detective work when one of our family members inadvertently left an important piece of luggage in the parking lot, the staff were great. Everyone, from housekeeping, to the buffet attendants, to the aforementioned front desk staff worked above and beyond.

The building itself is undergoing a facelift in the lobby area and although the rooms show signs of recent upgrades (new shower curtains and hardware) the rooms themselves need refreshing. The Mid-South is a humid place and odors have a way of binding with the surroundings. We all found the rooms a bit stale despite their overall cleanliness.

All in all, we were pleased with our stay and would go back - especially if Marriott puts in new curtains and carpeting.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2007

This is Amazing!!! Whenever I go to the Courtyard, I always think of it as extremely relaxing. The rooms are clean, relaxing, and comfortable. The front desk personnel are extremely welcoming, and to show their warm hospitality, they even have a fruit basket filled with things like bananas, apples, and oranges. Their is a snack bar in which you can get things like cookies. And the best thing is, THEY'RE ALL FREE, INCLUDING THE FRUIT BASKET! On our stay, the pool was closed but the jacuzzi was open. Overall, it was very relaxing. I would definitely stay here again next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2007

We were driving from Savannah to Memphis and chose Tupelo to stop overnight so that we could see the house where Elvis was born. We arrived about 5PM and selected the Marriott as we are Marriott award members.
Checked in, the girl at the front desk could not really be bothered. Got to our room, unpacked and used the washroom. Looking on the floor we noticed ants. Not just one or two but many. We were only staying one night and checked the rest of the room and it looked fine. That said, I was surprised that the hotel had not noticed the ants. Then went to take a shower (with the ants :) and the shower handle came out of the wall. Water everywhere.....clearly the shower was broken before we got there. Anyhow enough was enough so we went to the front desk to explain and ask for a new room. Interesting response, instead of apologizing, the asked to see our room. Guess they didn't believe us. Came to the room and say the bathroom and then asked us how many nights we had been there. As if we broke the shower and brought some ants with us. We said we arrived 20 minutes ago.....they put us in a new room but no apologies at all.

Very disappointing especially for a Marriott, I would not stay here again. There are lots of other choices in Tupelo.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple