“Wonderful staff”
Review of Courtyard Topeka

Courtyard Topeka
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel on business the night before my birthday. My significant other contacted the hotel to see if they could do something special for me. They were happy to assist and when I arrived they had helped get flowers and wine to my room which made my stay away from home special. I appreciated their friendly smiles and their birthday wishes and even the breakfast staff at the cafe was super friendly. The rooms are nice and clean and what you expect from a courtyard and the breakfast was good. It's so nice to see some hotel staff employees are still willing to go above and beyond. I would definitely stay here again when I am in Topeka. My only complaint was that the room I was in was very humid and the air conditioning ran constantly making everything in my suitcase somewhat moist. I'm not sure if there was a problem or it was just the very hot weather that day.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Topeka

Reviewed 2 September 2013

The location of the hotel is near restaurants and shopping. The room was clean and supplied with a refrigerator. (We found out in the morning that the refrigerator wasn't on.). But, the room was clean and comfortable. We would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Scott R, Manager at Courtyard Topeka, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Mary T: Thank you for taking the time to rate us and provide feedback. We love our location as well! I do apologize about the refrigerator. We will work harder at making sure that they are all on. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

This hotel is waaaaay past it's prime as far as the rooms go. They obviously were looking for a way to make this hotel more profitable so went directly for the "trendy cafe" remodel of the lobby. You walk in, take a look around, and think you are going to get a nice trendy remodeled room due to the nice brand new lobby......then you pop open your room and take a time warp back to dingy 90's. The beds were comfortable enough, and the room seemed clean. But it has a very strong odor that i couldn't identify. The decor was just ugly and very dated feeling. The bathroom tile was an abrasive texture, obviously to prevent slippage, but there seemed to be grime in the abrasiveness that they could't clean out. Wallpaper everywhere that was definitely showing it's age with obvious spots where they had cleaned kids writing off the wall. A lot of things just showing the age like crusty rusty door hinges, crappy simple repairs, and tiles popping off the wall in the bathroom.
The "cafe" is a bit of a joke. $6.00 beers in Topeka Kansas, really? I can get a six pack at the gas station a block away for the same price. Hell i could walk across the parking lot to red lobster and get a tall draft for significantly less. Maybe I'm just expecting too much because I'm used to hotels that have complimentary manager receptions during the week nights. Breakfast was obviously quite difficult for this hotel as the staff was very slow, putting me well behind schedule all week as I waited in line to pay quite a bit for the things I could normally walk up and get free at most other hotels. (you know quick things like a yogurt cup and a banana).
I always book through my corporate web site and I always book king bed rooms, I was told one was not available when I got to the hotel so was stuck with a double queen, which cuts you out of having a couch to relax on after a long day of work.
The back patio looked like a nice area, but when i walked out I could not get back into the lobby door that I exited out there through, due to no card reader? Check in was a bit weird. There were two workers at the front desk, but one apparently wasn't able to check me in, just stand and talk to me while I stood and waited for the other to get off the phone. They were both very nice and professional, but I thought it odd that there was a worker just standing there talking that couldn't actually do the job expected of front desk help.
I would not stay here again, there are better options in the area.

Room Tip: 1st floor has the high ceilings as do most hotels that seem to make rooms feel a but bigger. But thi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

We did recevie a lobby renovation in late 2011, and our rooms are scheduled to be renovated very soon. I wish we could have done a better job of making your stay more enjoyable. We work very hard to make this the best hotel it can be, and when we fall short, it upsets us greatly. The Bistro is a great concept that I often refer to as a cross between Starbucks and Panera Bread. Due to it's populariity, it can get a little busy, but we strive to meet the demands of our busy morning guests. I am so sorry for falling short on this as well. I realize that this was not the best stay we could provide, but I promise you that we will stay diligent in our efforts to provide a great guest experience to every guest, every time. Thank you for the excellent feedback, I will use this to make us better.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Nice for road warriors. Somewhat hidden next to a mall that seems to be in decline. No free breakfast so we went to a nearby restaurant. Great staff. McDonalds and many other dining options close by. will stay here again.Thanks.

Room Tip: maybe upstairs is better and less humid smelling
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

We appreciate the great comments you provided. Next time you are here, I would love to have you try our Bistro. The Healthy Start and Sunrise Starter sandwich are two of my favorites. I do apologize for the humidity in the room. We installed new air conditioning units in the rooms and found that there was a setting that was not correct on the units. We have since made the proper changes and the units are now removing the humidity as they should. Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

This hotel has a super-friendly staff and a great location. Very close to shopping and restaurants! Although it was clean, the room had a funky smell seemed very humid. The lobby is nice and modern, but the rooms need some serious updating. A nice, quiet stay for a business trip. Not quite as nice as my usual Courtyard experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

The staff greatly appreciated reading your comments. They all do such a great job of knowing why they are here...for you! Thanks for sharing the comments about the humidity. We installed new units, and failed to change a setting that properly pulls the humidity out of the room. Once we found the problem, we corrected it immediately. We would have never caught it without great comments from our guests. Thank you so much!

Reviewed 22 August 2013

From the start of our trip to Kansas to the end Courtyard by Marriott in Topeka was excellent! We had to sign in days early do to a death in the family followed the next day by another death. The staff (especially Rebecca) went beyond what was expected to help comfort us during our stay. One night we came into our room after an extremely difficult day to flowers and a kind loving note. We will never forget the kindness all the staff had for our family and will return again when we are in Topeka.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Our hearts went out to you and your family, especially Rebecca's. She really felt your losses, and she had to act, she then got us all onboard as she explained what happend. We were honored that you chose to stay with us, especially at such a tough time. Thank you!!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

If you have business, shopping, or dining in West Topeka this is an excellent hotel for you. It is very attractive, both out and inside. It is location near the main mall and near excellent chain resturants such as the Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Longhorn and others (such as Hu Hot) are within short driving distance. Staff have a focus on service. The rooms are clean and neatly decorated. the hotel has Starbuck service. The only negative comment that I would have is that the prices for food and drinks within the hotel are about 30% higher than I wanted to pay. With the other dinning places near by it is cheaper to walk a short distance rather than pay $6.25 for a bottle of beer. Since I made the reservation on price line the value for the room was very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family