“Great place to stay”

Senate Luxury Suites
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My family had never been to the Capital. I booked a couple of rooms and requested one room facing the Capital at night. The rooms are fantastic!, My family was very surprised on the size of the rooms, there is a bedroom, kitchen, living room and the bathroom, hugh walk in closet's. I will stay there anytime that I go to Topeka, They loved the view. About the cleanliness the toilet paper that was on the roller had been wet, not sure by what and looked bad. I just changed it out with the new roll everything was fine after that. If you have to stay in Topeka this is the place to stay!

1 Thank LindaM1961
SenateSuites, Owner at Senate Luxury Suites, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you so much for the kind response. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Now that the Capitol is a couple short months from being completely renovated, it is really starting to look great; especially at night. Our rooms definitely have the best views in Topeka being right across the street.

Come back and see us soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The room was very nice, kitchen sink faucet had very little water coming out. Coffee pot was the cheapest you can get, leaked when you poured. I have never paid thru the travel site and then was charged at check in for same amount as incindental fee which will return when my bank agrees. So this room was a double charge until my bank accepts returns

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for the response. We have taken a look at the coffee pot and ordered a replacement. I apologize that we did not explain the check in policy clearly for you upon your arrival. Typical with almost all hotels, we "authorize" a credit card for incidentals and any potential damages that might happen during a stay. Upon check-out, the authorization is removed. If using a credit card, the money is placed back on the card almost immediately. If you were using a debit card, the bank will remove that money from your account for a short period of time. It is not given to the hotel but placed into an authorization account for the hotel to ensure that there is money on the card. Different banks have different rules for how long the money will be removed from an account. Nothing was ever charged to your card by the hotel. I will use this as an opportunity to train and coach the staff.
Lake Forest, CA
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The night we arrived there was a substitute desk clerk who didnt know where the rooms were and had us walk all over the hotel and switched our room twice because he couldn't find it and they didnt have a map or anyhing for him. We spent over 20 mins just trying to find a room! I mentioned it to the manager that next morning and she simply said "Yeah, he needs to be trained more."

The bathtub felt like we were going to fall through it. My 70lb son made it creak and make all kinds of sounds!

Breakfast ended too soon for us to eat anything that morning. I wish they would have kept it open until 9am like other hotels!

• Stayed August 2013
I apologize for the confusion during your stay. We are fortunate enough to own multiple hotels in Topeka so when we have employees in crisis, we are able to use staff from others hotels. Unfortunately, this particular employee had not worked many shifts at the Senate and was not as familiar with the room locations as we had hoped. I also apologize that breakfast was not open until 9am for you. Are breakfast hours run until 9am everyday but we apparently closed early that day. I will make sure that this does not happen again.
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Not the best experience. In town for an airshow and the hotels were pretty booked. Another hotel referred me here.
Funky place to include the smell. My bed and room were not cleaned before my second night there. The smell of the hotel was as bad as the taste of the waffles and damp dining room - in the basement. Parking is not well lit and a risk.

Stay clear of this place...

Room Tip: Go elsewhere...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We are not sure of the smell you are referring to but will look into it. I also don't understand your comment regarding the "waffles in the basement"? You must be referring to our downstairs meeting rooms with windows to the outside. We hold our breakfast with fresh, create your own waffles in the meeting room every morning so that there is enough space to relax and a view of the Capitol to enjoy.
Junction City, KS
Reviewed 13 July 2013

My husband was scheduled for heart surgery on 5 July, so we both checked into a lovely Queen suite on the night of the 4th. We left very early the next morning since he had to be at the hospital at 6 a.m. I spent a lot of time at the hospital, but most afternoons at the hotel. I loved it. the breakfasts were good, too. The rooms were kept very clean and I wanted for nothing. I was happy to see they had a gym downstairs since I walk a treadmill every day at home. However, I was too worn out from going back and forth to the hospital to use it, but it was there if I wanted it. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. Only one night was noisy until around 11:30 when an arguing couple were yelling at each other and slamming doors. They should have stayed at Motel Six, not a nice elite hotel like the Senate. I highly recommend it and if I have to stay in Topeka for a week again, I'll be at the Senate.

Room Tip: My suite had the sun shining in early in the morning,m right onto the bed (curtains closed all night...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Anita632
SenateSuites, Owner at Senate Luxury Suites, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
We are glad that you found comfort in our hotel during your husbands surgery but do apologize for the yelling you heard. Hopefully, it didn't keep you awake to long. If you liked the Queen bed in your room, you should try the Queen or King Temper Pedic Cloud Supreme mattresses we have in some of our rooms. Thanks again.
Olathe, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Senate Suites is designed well for extended stay visits. I stayed in one of the Queen-size suites for 4 months and play to stay here again next year. The property is old, but in very good shape and kept very clean. Other reviews mentioned noise, but that is a rare occurrence as most of the people staying here are not the party-crowd type and are very respectful of the different schedules kept by everyone.

The pluses are:
The room setup is great with a kitchenette (mini fridge, microwave, and sink), a balcony (most rooms) and a lounge area (most rooms) suitable for guests. Even though it is an older building, the bathrooms are still a normal size.
Personally, I like the easy access to the Capitol (why I stayed here) and the excellent breakfast every morning.

The couple of caveats are:
The TV/Cable has no menu guide to see what shows are on and the channel changers do not let you type in a channel number. (Not a big deal to me.)
The WiFi is not reliable. It is fine for browsing the web, but not for doing serious work. NOTE: this is a problem in most places I stay because they do not provide enough access points for all the devices (computers, tablets, phones) that try to connect up in this day and age. Most places are 5 years behind.

Room Tip: Th top floors have less noise (no floor above) and East side has a better view (not that there is mu...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Keith E
SenateSuites, Owner at Senate Luxury Suites, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Thank you for the great review. The Senate is set up perfectly for long term stays like yourself. We value each and every response we recieve as they make us better. In regards to your concerns, we unfortunately do not have Digital Cable which allows viewers to see what is on tv. We are also working on our remotes as we have found thanks to your review that some of our tv's are not programmed for the remote numbers to work . We also recently had our IT staff and an outside company write up a complete WiFi overhaul that will be implemented throughout the coming months. These changes will allow our guests to utilize their smart phones and tablets more effectively which as you have already said is a problem in many hotels right now.

Thanks again for the great review and we look forward to your future stay.
Reviewed 28 June 2013

First off you could practically hear people farting in the next room. The night we were here there was a wedding booked and couldn't sleep. At a $100 a night in Topeka come the F on. I will absolutely never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Art1234567
SenateSuites, General Manager at Senate Luxury Suites, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
On behalf of the staff, I would like to apologize that your stay did not meet your standards. We try to be accommodating to all guests' when there are events going on in the lower level meeting room. All events are ended by Midnight to ensure that noise is at a minimum and we place all guests not associated with the event in a seperate wing. Thank you for the comments as they always help us improve our operations.