“LOVE this place!”

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
LaPorte, Indiana
“LOVE this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

We have stayed at the Topeka Residence Inn on many occasions and have always enjoyed our experience. Being originally from Topeka, we find ourselves often back in the area and RI provides just what we need. It is nice to have the 2-bedroom suites so we can stay together yet have some privacy and having an oven to use when taking something for a family holiday meal is an added bonus.

I have never encountered a problem with cleanliness and the staff is friendly and accommodating! I have received exceptional service from the manager, Wes, who has gone out of his way to provide a pleasant experience for his guests. My first enounter with him was a while back when he offered an umbrella to keep us from getting wet from drizzling rain. A small gesture that made a large impact.

I didn't realize that I had not previously written a review commending this hotel. I can't reiterate enough our satisfaction during our numerous stays over many years!

Room Tip: We usually request the side away from traffic, although I don't recall ever being bothered by tr...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Indiana7611

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Deer River, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

Due to a work project, I have stayed at this hotel 6 times. I have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Beds are especially comfortable with 5 pillows on the king size. Breakfast is good with hot choices. It is a good location with easy access to the freeway. Several good restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: Upper floors are a little noiser on the freeway side. Even the efficiency rooms are large and comfor...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve Z
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

We have stayed at the Topeka Residence Inn several times and return largely based upon the reasonable rates and friendly/accommodating staff. The breakfast is good and ready on time (and usually even before the actual “serving” time – which is key for our early starts), the pool is clean, and the kitchens are very nice. Like in most Residence Inns, the larger suites have a large stove that can actually be used to cook on versus the smaller burners that are not very useful. Several times I have been upgraded to larger rooms without asking – this is a great policy and I really appreciate it. The manager really seems to make things work smoothly for Marriott Rewards members. My only concern is that the building could use an update as the bathroom paint/ceiling look worn, there are scuffs on many walls, etc. This does not diminish from the overall cleanliness of the hotel, but it should be in line for an update soon.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

Maids come in your room even if there is a no service sign on your door. They don't respect guests or their privacy. If you want to stay at a place that feels like home this is not the place. Would not stay here ever again.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Ray_ray0906
TopekaRI_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Topeka, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I apologize you had such a negative experience while staying at our hotel. I want to assure you that these issues have been adressed. We have taken several steps to help ensure these situations don't happen again. We hope with our continued efforts to improve the quality of stay for our guests, you will give the Residence Inn another try if you find yourself in the Topeka area again.

Wesley Halsey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

On our way to Denver we decided to stay in Topeka because we had never been to the Capital city before. Being a Marriott reward member we chose the RI and were not disappointed. The staff was excellent and we were treated to a complimentary upgrade on our room, being a gold member. The room was very clean and drinks and snacks were placed inside waiting for our arrival back from the zoo. Dinner was excellent and we wore that off with some tennis and a swim. They could not be more pleasant or ask enough if there was something more we required. Great shopping options within walking distance too. We departed with nothing but accolades for the RI Topeka.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

This staff cares about there guests. My children had a great time in there pool and enjoy there breakfast. Room was very spacious and clean. I liked as Doon as you got into the hotel there was something to drink for you and a snack available.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank cmartinw
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

Children running around in the dining room while mothers sit with the rest of their brood, looking at the sprinter with love. Of course our children can do no wrong. But having a 4 y/o running circles around me in the dining room while I try to carry a plate of hot food and a drink? I accendently stepped on the child over and over as I carried the food to a table. This is not an isolated event. The manager prizes the guests with the unruly children yelling and running in the dining room and through out the hotel. He says that these are long term residents and no one has complained for the 4 years he's been there. This is a Marriott property? Dogs running freely in the hallways. A young girl running up to me with a puppy, tripping the door of the elevator. I never figured out what that's about. No complaints in 4 years? Manager, these screamed past the front desk on the outward leg of their run thru the dining room then past the front desk (unattended because the desk clerks are busy watching TV). I complained to the manager and some of the staff. Got a phone call last night from the manager. He told me that I was being racially insensitive! And that he decided to call the police on me if I didn't move out in the morning. I am not making this up. 40 years of business travel. A package or letter arrives for me. No phone call to tell me I have a package. I call the front desk and get a bunch of nasty attitude, like I was interrupting the front desk's TV viewing for the night.

I know of gov agencies (both State of Kansas and US government) and consulting firms who pan this property and urge their people not to stay there. What? No, I'm not making up.

Maintenance? It doesn't really exist. I was ordered by the manager to not be seen anywhere in public places and not to interact with any member of the staff else he'd call the sheriff? If I had check out this morning I would have to do it by having no interaction with the staff? An attorney tells me that this is unlawful detainment. I chanced it and called the front desk saying my A/C was making more squealing than the sound of the TV. I left for the office at 11 AM. No maintenance yet. Overheard the maintenance man (Oh, that's a sexist slur that will get you thrown out) during the longest heat wave in history. The A/C was broken yet again. What was he repeating out loud in the dining room over and over 'well its the hottest in history. What do you expect an air conditioner to do in this heat?) maintenance, do we expect the A/C to work in winter? No, it's summer and summer sizzles in Kansas. What do guests expect? They expect the A/C to work in summer.

We are not to call the housekeeper the maid. That's a racial slur! The housekeeper is the most caring and helpful one I've ever met. Takes dirty dishes and loads then into the dishwasher. Very friendly lady. Oh wait, in the eyes of the management I just wrote a sexist and racial slur by calling the lady who does the housekeeping a lady.

The manager if a former public school teacher who most probably can proudly tell us that he's never ventured into the property.

If you want a very helpful housekeeper, stay here. If you want running dogs and running screaming children, stay here. If you want to get evicted because of racial slurs (I had to Google to find out just what racial slurs are) then stay here. If you want courtesy, don't stay here. If you expect to have a real breakfast and something of a hot or cold snack M-Th in the evening, don't stay her. The food is typically catered by the WalMart across the street then stay here. This can't really be a Marriott property, I assure you. I've stayed in many Residence Inns around the US. Never, never ever even heard someone describe what goes on at this hotel let alone have to live with it.

Room Tip: Stay away. Do not book a suite here!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank tom P
TopekaRI_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Topeka, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Thank you for your feedback. The decision to ask a guest to leave is not taking lightly and it is always unfortunate for all parties. However, we have to consider the safety and security for all guests as well as our employees when making this decision.

Wesley Halsey