“Home Sweet Home”

WoodSpring Suites Topeka
Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Reviewed 30 December 2009

Value Place has been my family's home for the past six months. We are in the middle of relocating from another state and purchasing a home. I definitely would not say that this hotel is anywhere close to ghetto standards but for the price, you cannot expect it to be the Ritz Carlton either. We have had the same manager here throughout our stay and she has been very friendly and more than adequate. Although they do have a high turnover for the rest of the staff, most of the employees seem to be good people. They have provided a safe environment for our family to stay in and have attempted to make our stay as comfortable as possible. I would recommend this option for anyone who is looking to purchase a home or work in this area.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 December 2009

The room was very nice and all of the housekeepers and staff that I met were really friendly and always had a smile on their face! I met with the manager who checked me in and her pleasant personality made me feel right at home. I read the previous reviews and I can say that my room neither had bed bugs or stunk of anything. It was a very nice place to stay, a sort of home away from home. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 September 2009

They have bed bugs! It's awful! I have bites all over. The entire building stinks. They advertise that they are a fully furnished extended stay establishment. That usually means things like kitchenware, towels & soap. There are no dishes, pans, utensils, kitchen towels, soap, etc. You get two bath towels, a bar of soap and dozens of insect bites!

Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank royallaw
Reviewed 28 May 2009

I stayed at the Value Place for a few days, and if you are on a budget, this place will definitely do for a while. It's less expensive staying here for a week then if you would book the cheapest hotel/motel for a week. The place has a new manager. She started about 1 -2 months ago and she was very friendly and helpful, so were the other people I came in contact with. I didn't have any hangers in my room and didn't realize that until 9 p.m. when I filled the form out and I called from the phone up front and the hangers were delivered to me within 10 min. It's nothing glamerous, but I felt ok there and definitely would stay at the Value Place again if I need to.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank My_Review_Opinion
Reviewed 13 May 2009

Been Here almost 8 months and survived most of the staff, which has a turn over rate that is quite sad. the little staff that has stayed are the only ones holding the place together. The " Temp" or Traveling manager that has been assigned , is now running the hotel like he is the dictator . Disrespecting several guests , The disregaurd for the staff is alarming , rude , perverted and seems to be disturbed as though he may have been picked on in school.

It is a Real Shame the owners seem to want to run the hotel properly, but this manager has threatened the staff that they better keep there mouths shut to the higher ups , and if they do talk he made it clear they would back him up and never beleive the other staff.
many other guests have requested that he have the district manager called Or have him report complaints he never tells them because they are in regaurds to him.
He is a modern day Tyrant .
Please do not let this reflect poorly on the other staff they are the only reason we haven't left.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
5  Thank mamamayeaux
Reviewed 6 March 2008

I stayed there 2 weeks before being told to leave because my room "smelled like I was smoking marijuana."

I had NOT been smoking anything but cigarettes and burning a candle. But, because I refused to let them in to "inspect" (mind you this is on Sunday when the office is supposed to be closed - apparently except to harass the guests) because I was in my underwear. They came to my door and tried to open it with a key BEFORE they even knocked to see if anyone was in there. And when I told them they would have to give me a minute to get dressed (I am a woman staying alone), Willie (the manager) looked me up and down and said "You look dressed to me." I was not about to let him in after he talked to me like that. So I decided I would rather forfeit the $100 deposit and get out of there as quick as I could. I was given 30 minutes to vacate the premises. What a nightmare!

For the two weeks I was there, it was loud and obnoxious. I know there were rooms that had parents staying in there with 2 or 3 kids. There were so many rules it felt like living in a dorm room or army barracks. AND absolutely nothing is complimentary. You even have to buy your own toilet paper. You have a "full kitchen" (minus an oven), but nothing to cook with or eat on. And the elevator was so slow you could walk up and down the stairs faster.

They give you two towels and two washcloths and if you want them replaced before your bi-weekly cleaning, you have to take them (and the sheets for that matter) down to the office (DURING OFFICE HOURS ONLY) to exchange them. For this luxury, they charge you an additional $7.00 a week. They advertise the room as being $169 a week, but by the time they nickel and dime you to death, the bill is right at $200 for a week.

DO NOT EVER STAY AT THIS "HOTEL" It was like living in the projects.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business