“Keep on drivin”

Econo Lodge Topeka
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
“Keep on drivin”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We stayed here while on a long road trip, based partly on the reviews and experience with a few other AmericInns. Never again! This one was a dump...odors masked by room deodorizer, worn carpeting, dented and unpainted areas of the motel, etc. We asked for a quiet room away from the freeway, and the clerk put us in one close to that road. We asked for a room change, which we got, but had to lug all our stuff to the opposite end of the facility. Breakfast...didn't bother. Our advice - if you're tempted to stay here, keep on driving!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
DCOWARD1920, Manager at Econo Lodge Topeka, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I can assure you guest satisfaction is of the greatest importance to us. I apologize for the negative experience you had at our hotel. I have addressed your concerns with my entire staff and we have taken efforts to keep situations like this from happening in the future. Here at the Topeka AmericInn we value our guests’ feedback and hope with our continued efforts to improve, you will give us another try next time you stay in the area.

Donna Coward
Topeka Kansas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I have stayed at the Americinn a number of times and still have yet to find something to complain about. The service has always been great! From the moment your greeted with a smile at the door until its time to check out. The rooms are clean and beds are comfortable. Noise level of other guests has never been a issue, which is always a plus. They also have a nice complementary breakfast in the morning with a good variety of hot and cold items. A few minutes away from Topeka's mall, movie theatre, and numerous restaurants is great when you dont know your way around town and looking for entertainment! Overall a good experience at a decent price! Thanks to the Americinn staff!

• Stayed May 2013
kansas
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Americinn is usually a good bet as they are usually quite clean and very quiet. This one was OK for the price. I was upstairs and my non-smoking room smelled like a smoking room and was somewhat run down. Rooms need to be updated. Breaksfast area somewhat crowded. I-470 outside was a little noisy.
Overall is it OK if you do not pay too much. Denny's next door, Walmart across a busy 4 lane road on the west side. Fairfield Inn and Days Inn next door, new Hampton Inn across I-470. within walking distance of a strip mall and McDonalds.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
TMIHospitality, Manager at Econo Lodge Topeka, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We value all of our guests' feedback and use it to evaluate what can be done to improve our hotel as well as our staff. I want to assure you that all of these issues have been addressed. We hope with our continued efforts to improve every stay for our guests, you will give the AmericInn of Topeka another try next time you stay in the area.

Donna Coward
GM
Aledo, Illinois
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I'd like to start out by saying I've stayed in hotels all over North America and Europe ranging from 1 to 5 stars. This hotel is rated 2.5 and I can't for the life of me figure out where the .5 came from. Perhaps it's the attractive lobby? It must be.

The hotel is located on Wanamaker Road in Topeka. It's certainly not the Champs Élysées or Michigan Avenue, but they have many stores and many good-quality restaurants. The hotel is located in a rather unsavory looking area (just by looks, it doesn't feel unsafe) with Fairfield Inn and Days Inn next door. GPS doesn't get you here, you have to look and feel your way to find the hotel's parking lot. The entrance is rather odd. A small closet-sized entry with a rack for pamphlets. Then you find the front desk. I must have waited 3 or 4 minutes for someone to come by. There was no "welcome to Topeka" or anything asking me if I'd been here before, it was simply a transaction. The lobby was pretty nice for a mid-scale hotel.

The hotel smells nice throughout. A appreciate that touch.

The room was very blah. In 2013 there is no excuse for having an ugly comforter on the bed. The pillows were arranged in a strange order, the carpet is old and stained, and the wallpaper must have been cheap. The bathroom, though not the focal point of the room, had wallpaper peeling and the tile looked like it hadn't been mopped since Obama's first term. The bathroom's not large, but I don't know what people feel they need room for in the bathroom. The size was fine, it just felt like it was from a sleezy motel. They have signs telling you that it's nice to save the environment and that they'll only give you shampoo and conditioner when you run out.

Breakfast. Where do I begin? Yuck. At 8:30 am it was not well stocked and it looked like nobody was there to keep it stocked. They had biscuits and gravy that was cold (inside of a crock pot!), the waffle mix was gone, but there was mix all over the counter, the pastry case was empty, the juice was watered down, the coffee was empty, there was a gallon jug of milk in the small frigo under the cereals, and it looked as if the people eating there were not guests of the hotel. Some were (I gather the ones that weren't wearing shoes might be staying here). There also seemed to be a homeless man who was wearing socks and sandals and plastic sacks underneath his cap. It was like a trip through the looking glass. I couldn't wait to leave that room.

I have one night left. We'll see what happens.
This is the second time I've been stung by Priceline. I think I'll only use them for 4 star hotels now.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank nogentais1986
Dumas, AR
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed here while in Topeka visiting family. Every staff member we came in contact with was extremely friendly and accommodating. Rooms were clean, breakfast was fine and they were even kind enough to allow us to check out a day early without any penalty. Not a luxury hotel, but I would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
Colorado
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Good first impression as I was welcomed as soon as I walked in the door. The front desk gal, Lauren, was warm and welcoming. She accommodated us with everything we asked for. Good customer service and so far were very satisfied with choosing this hotel. We chose a second floor room, but it was difficult carrying our bags up the stairs, no elevator. (Seniors, please note). Our room was clean and nice enough. The beds were comfortable, but the spreads were a little worn and could be replaced with nicer ones. We liked that we were able to set the comfort degree on the heating/cooling system. The bathroom was small but adequate. The tile floor corners could have been cleaned a little better. The room was very very quiet which made for a good night's sleep. The hotel is in a good area of lots and lots of restaurants and shopping. Breakfast was just ok. Not much selection, but for the price paid we didn't expect much. Overall: Good, clean hotel to stay for a night at a good location and a good price.

Room Tip: Back side of hotel was quiet.