“Comes with roaches as roommates!”

Motel 6 Topeka Northwest
Ranked #29 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I made a reservation over the phone with the Motel 6 up the road from this one (Wanamaker Rd.) only to get there and they don't have any rooms. After finding that all the other hotels on that street are booked as well, we try this Motel 6 (Fairlawn Rd.). We get here and they inform us that they're only taking cash as their system is down, that the wifi is down, as well as the phone. We had to drive around to find somewhere we could get cash at midnight as we are traveling from California and our bank isn't out here. We get to our non-smoking room (which is more expensive than the reservation we had made with the other motel 6) to find it reeks of cigarette smoke (I have asthma and its really aggravating my lungs), the room is FREEZING, the carpet is filthy, the walls are dirty, and to top it all off, there were roaches in the bed!!! After spending an hour trying to get a hotel room, with our 3 cats after being on the road all day, we put the cats in the room and went to find food at 1 AM. We would have went back to the office to get our refund right away, but didn't realize there were roaches in the bed until we got back from getting food. Plus its 1 AM and every other hotel in the area either seems to be booked or cost $100 a night. I am ready to just leave and sleep in the car, but its not really an option since we have our cats with us. So much for getting a good nights sleep before another day on the road tomorrow, I will be up all night making sure I don't have roaches crawling on me in the middle of the night. If I could give this 0 stars, I would. Don't waste your time or money on this dump! Oh, also, the rooms look NOTHING like they do on the website. The website shows them all updated and nice...definitely not the case!!! We always stay at motel 6 when we are traveling and have never encountered one as bad as this. I am usually pleasantly surprised by some of our rooms at motel 6s across the country, but this makes me never want to stay at one again. After making a reservation at one and getting a confirmation email, only to get turned away quite rudely and end up in a horrible room with NO amenities that cost me more, I never want to deal with Motel 6 again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sasha R

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Ask the girl at the desk if I could see a room first. ( SO GLAD I DID THAT!) She was very polite, and handed me a key card & room number. I opened the door, to a thoroughly tossed bed, garbage all over the floor, and the stench pushed me back. ( I fully expected a naked man to come strolling out of the bathroom!). It was DIGUSTING! I returned to the desk , and gently explained what I saw. She replied rather sullenly, "Welllllllllll, I can give you a different room if you really want one." I almost burst into laughter. The only payback for me was that I was able to stop another older man on his way into the lobby, and warn him, "Don't do it !" , to which he followed me out on my heels, and allowed me to explain what I had just experienced. So glad he and his wife didn't have to pay up front, and then sleep in a disaster. I have NEVER witnessed a motel in that poor of a condition. Even the lobby reeked of the overspray they use to cover up smoke. Whew! That place really should be SHUT DOWN !

Room Tip: Very simply, don't go there!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank treerats
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We wanted to spend under $50 so we selected this hotel. With all reviews we were little concern . But we had great clean room with new look. No problem at all. Great customer service. we will be back for sure.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mary a
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The heat was constantly on, because of this, we had to leave our door open to have reprieve and compromise our security. The night manager woke us up late at night and stated, "do you know you have your hotel door open?" I stated, "Yes because it's so dang hot in here". Our first room assigned to us had a broken toilet. We had to endure noise and a noisy car stereo at 12:30 am due to the kids staying next to us. Didn't get much shut eye at all which was much needed for the 642 mile trip back home. I would NEVER stay here again. Yes, it's cheap, but if you love the tropics, stay here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, pay a little extra and get what you want to sleep comfortable. The lady at the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suzorsalid
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Topeka Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear suzursalid,
Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for the unpleasant stay you experienced as a result of the temperature issues and maintenance conditions you encountered. The issues you experienced are not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality, and we encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and other guests with better service in the future.: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Well, if Lilli2006s statement that the clerk told her is accurate, DON'T stay in room 113. It had bed bugs. This room is a corner room on the ground level next to the pool. Yes, it was a cheap room. It had linoleum floors as some one mentioned, and had been a smoking room since the sink had cig burns on the counter top. Back to the bed bugs. I used my 40 power monocular to ID the buggers! Yes, they were bed bugs!!! I found a live one under the pillow and another one on the sheet. Both of these were engorged with blood. I found a couple of blood smears on the sheet from those that were smashed. And two dried carcasses stuck to the bed spread. I used my first aid tape to collect them and gave them to the morning clerk when we checked out. She didn't seem at all concerned. I told her to give them to the manager when he got to work.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without bed bugs!! Also check the windows to make sure that they are latched. Ours...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jack970854
Reviewed 21 February 2013

My wife and I travel to Topeka every year for the Kansas Silent Film Festival and we stay at a different hotel across the street. We arrived a day early due to a severe winter storm coming through, and we stayed at this Motel 6.

The room was very cold because cold air was coming in around the door frame, the bed was totally uncomfortable, and the shower was not very hot!!!

We are now in the hotel where we usually go, and we will certainly REMAIN!!

Room Tip: Please avoid!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Larry S
Reviewed 25 January 2013 via mobile

This has been the absolute worst experience we have ever had!!! We had bed bugs crawling on us! My three yr old was terrified! They wanted to switch us rooms, I said no way we are out of here! There were two other couples checking in and I warned them. The employee justifies it by saying they only have bed bugs in SOME rooms!! Are you kidding me? Corporate did nothing for us either. Never again

• Stayed: December 2012