“Great rooms, resturant needs work”

Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a week long dog show last week. The rooms were very clean with comfy beds. Front desk staff went out of the way to help with any problems. Our main complaint is with the resturant. they have small hours for such a large hotel. lunch hours only from 11-2 and then dinner from 5 - 10. now a resturant in a hotel this size should be able to provide meals all day. we barely mad it before 2pm to get served and I can't tell you how many people showed up just after 2 only to be told soory we can serve you, we are closed. There is nothing to eat close by except a sonice drive through. If you stay here be prepared to drive somewhere for a meal. We would stay here again but we would make sure to plan for better lunch / dinner options

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Randy H
CapitolPlazaGM, Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your great comments regarding the rooms and the comfy beds.

The restaurant is open at 6am-2pm for breakfast and lunch, and then again from 5pm-10pm for dinner. We did stay open longer for the conference that you attended. Unfortunately we do have to stop serving sometime, in order to turn the restaurant over for dinner service. We ran a lunch buffet all week to help with the speed of service and turn more tables over quicker. I apologize if you could not get in to eat, and understand your frustration.

We have made notes and have ideas on how to address this issue with this particular group, and don't foresee this being an issue next time.

Thanks again,

There are newer reviews for Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel on the road trip across the country. The hotel was having a French Bulldog convention was full of dogs which was fine with us. We visited the bar and the restaurant and had terrible service at both. The waitress in the bar was incredibly rude and had way too many tables. The restaurant food was decent but there were not enough employees to get the food out quickly. The pool was nice as was the hot tub. I would stay here again but would not go to the restaurant or bar.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank browntown
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Gues,

Thank you for the great comments regarding your stay with us for the French Bulldog Nationals.

We loved seeing all the great dogs, and they were so well behaved!!

Thanks for the great comments about my staff as well. Kelsey, Alison and Dee are all dedicated and guest service driven Associates.

I apologize for the service in the lounge, and this has been addressed already.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 22 September 2013

The French Bulldog Club held the 2013 Nationals dog show at this hotel. The majority of the people at the Capital Plaza went out of their way to take care of us: Kelsie and Allison in the hotel admin office and Dee at the front desk. They kept the temperature in the ballroom and support areas properly cooled for the Frenchies. It is clear this is a dog-friendly place. Thanks for a great stay! It would have been 5 stars except for the crabby gal tending bar Sunday and Monday.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2013

It was a long walk for the set up for the convention center and for the classes that I needed to attend. I had to change my schedule accordingly. The staff though is by far the best! They go out of their way to do anything for you. Everyone is so friendly and helpful and I cannot thank them enough for their assistance. The hotel does need some modernization, but the rooms are very clean and comfortable. The outside noise seems to penetrate the walls more thN other hotels, and maybe that has to do with the age of the building, but if I attend a conference in Topeka again I will go back and stay without a doubt!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thanks for the great comments.

I apologize if you heard noise from other rooms. I normally do not get those comments, as our hotel is made out of concrete, which helps being in the midwest with it's storms.

Thanks again, we will work harder to make your stay perfect next time.

Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I have been staying at the Captiol Plaza off and on for a while now and although it does need a little bit of a face lift the service and staff are great. Every time I stay they always make me feel welcomed and at home. Keep up the good work guys.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The hotel is a nice property in an out of the way location in Topeka. The room was comfortable. Food in banquet services was a bit lacking. I try to avoid going to Topeka, but if I had to stay here again, it would be OK.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My husband and I stayed four nights to attend the dog show. Our room was spacious, quiet, comfortable and clean. We so appreciate the opportunity to stay at a beautiful hotel that accepts our dogs and is so close to the show site. The staff was courteous, helpful and pleasant. There is a walking trail nearby and the grounds are lovely -- fit our needs to a "T"! The parking area is very good and well lighted. My only wish would be for less expensive breakfast, lunch and dinners. We might have dined in more. Thank you for having us.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family