“Great hotel”

Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The Staff Were Super Nice And So Friendly. The Hotel Was Very Clean And When We Asked For More Towels, They Were Very Prompt. I Ordered Room Service Once And It Was Great! The Restaurant Was Very Good And So Were The Staff. The Chef Was Very Friendly And Made The Experience That Much More Enjoyable. I Didn't Use The Fitness Center But Used The Pool. That Was A Cold Cold Indoor Pool. I Used The Hot Tub Instead!! They are a pet friendly hotel so it smelled like dogs in the elevator. The rooms were very clean and free of pet hair. I could hear dogs barking when inside my room. Especially when it was about 8 pm when the owners left. Great timing for putting my kids to bed. Over all, I thought my stay was very welcoming and would go back again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Kansas, Oklahoma
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Rooms are a good size. Carpets appear to be loose (trip hazard??) all over the hotel (especially noticeable in the long corridor to get to the conference center). Did not have problems with noise in my room as other reviewers did. Maybe it had something to do with my room placement. Conference food was excellent and the wait staff was AWESOME. Things needed fixed in my room...addressed management and they assured me everything would be taken care of. Very few smiles upon check in but the ladies were pleasant enough. Check out was a breeze. There is no complimentary breakfast but there is a restaurant and a bar in the atrium (I did not utilize either of them due to the expense). Did have WIFI in my room which was nice. Be warned that all shopping and restaurants outside the hotel will require driving quite a ways. There is nothing close by except for Harley Davidson's cafe and Sonic. I agree with the slippery duvet on the bed from the previous viewer. The colors were nice, though and fit well with the room. Stayed here because of a convention...was good enough for that. Will stay across town if I bring my family due to lack of nearby shopping, nearby restaurants, and complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Prior to moving to Topeka I would always stay in this hotel when I would visit. Now I recommend it to any guests we have come to town. It is incredibly clean, in a quiet location, and the staff is wonderful. The only issue I have with it is that the rooms could use some updating. Try the restaurant inside!

Stayed November 2012
Salina, Kansas
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We had a state convention here for 3 days, complete with catering for several meals, for approximately 600 professionals. No wireless in the conference center!?! Limited wireless access in meeting rooms for presenters only?? You have to walk allllll the way to the hotel lobby to get any access to wireless for email, twitter, etc. which is NOT convenient for attendees. The staff is friendly and the rooms clean, but in this day and age, even lower-budget hotels have wifi everywhere! The caterers were not gluten-free/vegetarian friendly, and we got just an extra scoop of veggies with our rice when we asked for our special meals, along with a poor attitude from our cater waiter. Also, do NOT get a room facing the atrium if you want peace and quiet! I could hear laughing and "lounge music" late into the night, as everything echos upwards due to poor architecture.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear LibraryGoddess2013,

Thank you attending the KS Library Assocation Conference. Wireless Internet is available in the Conference Center when it is ordered through person in charge of the conference.

We do have 100mb internet service available, which is an extremely large amount of bandwidth.

We do offer free Wi-Fi in the guestrooms and the lobby. We do prepare veggie and gluten free meals upon request, and I apologize that your meal was not satisfactory. I will address the "Attitude" with the server with the Food and Beverage Director. The lounge closes at 11pm, but I am sure alot of the conference attendees were still conversing in the open lobby area, and I apologize that you could hear them. The atrium style hotel and glass elevators were built for safety and security, as well as ambience.

Thank you again for your comments, as we will add these to our conference notes.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This hotel was pretty regular in looks, the food was just OK. But to make up for it the staff was absolutely wonderful. One of the managers actully drove us to town and came back to pick us up when we were finished site seeing. Everytime I called the desk they were great and instantly responsive. I would go there again because as someone else said, people make the difference.

2 Thank Pam F
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the kind comments regarding your stay with us in October 2013. I am glad that my Management Team took such great care of you, and you enjoyed your stay.

My Staff loves to see these great comments.

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This hotel may look nice but that is all it has. The beds are EXTREMELY uncomfortable and very hard mattresses. I would also suggest bringing your own pillows if you want comfort. Tried to adjust the air conditioner but heard it come on and room temp stayed the same. They do not offer free coffee in the lobby. Instead, they will direct you to the restaurant to purchase. We were not greeted with smiles upon arrival and when checking out. If you visit Topeka to shop, this is not the location you want. Stay somewhere on the west side closer to Wanamaker. This is also where the restaurants are located. No place decent to eat near this hotel. And not the best side of town.

Room Tip: Not sure what tip Icould give.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Traci C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I really have not heard many comments on the beds being too hard. We use Serta Presidential Series for our beds, which are used in many high end hotels. These are rotated and flipped upon a schedule to keep them in great shape. The room air conditioner is controlled by a brand new digital controller, and has worked extremely well since we upgraded them. If you had called down to the desk, I could have sent an Engineer up to check it, and if necessary make some adjustments. I do wish to thank you for giving us 5 stars on the cleanliness of the room.

Thanks again for your comments, as they will only help us to get better.

Parsons, Kansas
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My wife and I were here for a convention. She teaches a lot of online courses and needs Internet access. We reported a problem with the Internet. Clay, the HEAD of maintenance. came to check out the problem. Then came WIlberto with his bubbly personality and loaded and moved all of our things to another room where the reception was better. Then we had such a wonderful time with Jewels and Sarah in the restaurant. The hotel leaves a plaquard in the room based on "The Stranger within Our Gates." It gives a verbal blessing, but the people, like Clay, Wilberto, Jewels and Sarah make the blessings actually happen.

Dear Zollars,

Thank you so much for the great comments about the staff at the Capitol Plaza Hotel.

I am so happy that Clay, Wilberto, Sarah and Jewels made your stay with us pleasant.

It is refreshing to hear our guests tell us what I already know, that our staff is supurb.

I will post your comments in the hotel breakroom for all to see, and acknowledge the above Associates for their great service attitude.

Thanks again, and please come back soon.