“so convenient”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
Lawson, Missouri, United States
“so convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at the Capitol Plaza for a three day event at the adjacent Expo Center. The staff was outstanding and helpful. The room was large and well appointed. The elevators were roomy and very fast. Its a bit pricy, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Seville, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

The Capitol Plaza Hotel, is one of the nicest places while in Topeka,Kansas for the weekend. Our check-in was very smooth, parking was close & no extra charge! The staff was helpful and the hotel was extremely clean!! The fitness center although not big was clean and had like new equipment, our room was spotless, room service breakfast was very good & well presented. As we drove around Topeka during a rain delay in the racing this hotel looks like the best in town and only about 8 miles west of the Heartland Park Raceway Park. It might be a few dollars more but well worth it!

Room Tip: Higher floors are nice & quiet, the bar & restaurant are in the center atrium and the lower...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Manhattan, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was very disappointed with the appearance of this hotel upon my visit. The pictures on the internet of the hotel was a misrepresentation of what it actually looks like, The price we paid for the room was too much. This place should be labeled as a motel and not a hotel at all. I am very upset with losing my money for this awful stay. I will not every stay in this hotel or recommend it to anyone else. Please read this review and do not waste your money or time staying at this hotel.

2 Thank Adore007
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Adore007,

I apologize that your stay with us was not satisfactory. Your comments did not mention any specific issues, so it is very hard to address your concerns. The pictures on our website are current, and I believe depict the hotel very well. I would love to hear more specifics about your stay and hope that you contact me directly to address them. Our intention is to only get better and improve our product and service to our guests.

Kevin Smith
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Room was large, nice and clean. Hallways, elevator and lobby were also very nice and clean. Only complaint I have was there was no coffee anywhere besides the restaraunt. All nice hotels I have stayed at have had coffee bars in the lobby, and with this one, you have to go to the restaraunt and wait to be seated just to get a cup of coffee. I waited several minutes on more than one occasion and had to end up driving to starbuck's to get some. It was really a great experience and I would say everything was perfect if there was just coffee.

Room Tip: Double rooms only have twin beds, no queens in the hotel
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Wife and I registered here as it was the host hotel for a recent dog show. Missed the cut-off for the room block, but "Thanks" to a great front desk staff member (Kimberly), who hasn't forgotten what customer service is all about, we were greeted warmly and blessed with a very nice room at a very affordable rate. Even the dog enjoyed the spaciousness! This was not my first stay at this properrty and it will not be my last.

Wichita, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Capitol Plaza on May 3rd. We checked in on a sold out night and was told that our bathroom ceiling in our room was patched up the night before due to a leak. We were given a $25 discount. That evening we had come back to our room to discover that a part of the ceiling had fallen with water dripping into our bathroom. Subsequently, they moved us to a room where somebody had just checked out about an hour ago. The "cleaned" room was not clean...hair all over the sheets, dirty toilet, dirty furniture and floor. The manager on duty came to the room and cleaned it while my wife and I helped make the bed with fresh sheets at 11:30 pm. The staff did comp the room and breakfast the next morning. Nevertheless, we did not get a good night sleep. This hotel looks good from an amenity standpoint, but upon closer inspection it lacks quality in the rooms compared to other decent franchises.

Stayed May 2014
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Neil B,

I appreciate you taking the time to let us know of the difficulties regarding your stay with us. I apologize that the ceiling was leaking. We were assurred that this leak was fixed from the repairman who worked on it. I am glad that the Front Desk did inform you that the ceiling was patched, but but not yet painted. The Front Desk made the decision to discount the room due to what they thought would have been a minor invconvenience, and did not want to have to walk you to a different hotel, most likely in Lawrence, due to the city being sold out. Unfortunately, the room that they found to switch you to had inadvertently been turned over as clean, when it obviously was not. I am glad that our Manager personnaly cleaned your room and did comp the room and provide breakfast the next morning.

I apologize for this unfortunate situation, and hope that you try us again in the future.

SIncerely,

Kevin Smith-GM
Omaha, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

This hotel is adequate and clean, however, I expected more based on the fact the hotel is marketed as high end. The basic room does not have a microwave or fridge as most chains now do. If I am going to be charged for an amenity, that is fine, do not appreciate when a business is deceptive about it. Do not drink the bottled water in the room, it's not complimentary. The hotel restaurant has a limited menu, is pricey, and very slow service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Tracy D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the Capitol Plaza Hotel. We do offer some of our suites with a fridge and microwave, but do not offer them in every room. I apologize about the bottled water charge. We do have a large tag on the bottled water with a $3 price point on it for our guests convenience. Some guests prefer to use the bottled water for their coffee, or prefer to have a large bottle for their next stop. In no way do we ever intend to be "deceptive" about it, or the price would not be printed on it. Many hotels do offer bottled water in the room for a charge, and I have seen as high as $6 in some markets. Thanks again for your comments, and we hope that you will give us another chance the next time you are in Topeka.