“OK BUT PROBLEMS”

Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“OK BUT PROBLEMS”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel for three days while on a business trip. The room was comfortable enough and laid out well for the business traveler. For example, there was a large desk at which to do work on one's laptop. However, the Wifi in the hotel did not work properly during my entire stay -- it was so weak, I could not access the Net effectively from my room -- and while the staff said they were going to fix it, nothing was done. The food at the breakfast buffet was cheap and barely edible. I won't stay there again if there's a better alternative.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Donna C, General Manager at Clubhouse Inn & Suites - Topeka, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
I have just read your review and I'm very sorry for WiFi problems that had and the quality of the breakfast. In the last two months we have really upgraded our breakfast to a much higher quality
of foods. Our guest seem to be a lot happier. We hope you will give us another chance here in the future.

Best Regards,

Donna Coward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Nixa, Missouri
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were pleasantly surprised upon our arrival at this hotel. It is hidden behind Country Inn Suites and Hooters restaurant., not very visible from Interstate
Desk clerk was very cordial even if it was going on 11 pm. Room was very quiet....not much natural light in the am from window...had a nice sofa and table.
Best part of our find was the fully cooked on site complimentary breakfast! Not eggs and sausage warmed in a microwave! Scrambled eggs, bacon, real fruit not out of a can plus the usual biscuits/gravy waffles and cereal . The choices were wonderful and staff we're attentive to keeping things filled and clean.

Room Tip: Ask to be close to front desk and breakfast room. The halls are very long! We were on opposite end...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank beckje
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for an evening while in town. I had high expectations while looking at the website and trip advisor.

Upon arrival the exterior looked old and worn which had me worried. When I entered the hotel my fears were confirmed. The interior was also old and quite worn and dated.

It only got worse when I got to my room! Upon entry the room was very dated and worn. The furniture was worn and had pieces of metal sticking out of the couch,had stains and holes in it. I went into the bedroom and found stains on the bedspread which was disgusting! There were stains on the carpet, the wallpaper was peeling in the hall and electric outlet in the bathroom was in very poor condition.

For what we paid for this room I expected a lot more. My son didn't even want to stay the night and frankly I really didn't either. I will never stay at this property again!

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank crm502
Kansas City
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed here one night on July 18. The hotel from the exterior looks like your typical smaller town motel/hotel but was clean and in good repair. The interior of the hotel was somewhat updated and had a nice atsmophere. The reception that night was great with drinks and snacks and the breakfast was adequate. The room itself was up-to-date and mostly really nice, the only issue in the room was a peeling ceiling above the bath/shower. The room was clean and nicely done. The issues which are so frustrating when traveling is the staff. Not all of them but here were the problems. When checking in, the young man at the desk didn't speak a word to me. I went to the counter, he stood up, I gave him my name, he handed me a piece of paper which I assumed I needed to sign so I did, he took it from me, handed me my room key and a couple of tickets for drinks at the reception and sat back down to look at his computer. I was on the 2nd floor I assumed by my room number so I asked where their elevator was located. He said, "Don't have one" I asked him since it appears my room is on the 2nd floor, how would I get to it? He pointed and said (and this is a direct quote) "stairs" so I was less than impressed with the service to begin with. Not friendly and he said exactly four words during my check-in process. Then in the morning I had a good breakfast there and went to get a cup of coffee. Standing in front of the coffee machine which carried my favorite coffee were two staff members getting their coffee. The first put at a minmum six of the little creamers in her cup before getting coffee. Now I am all for staff having the appropriate amount of caffine like everyone else but, it took me several minutes of waiting on them chatting and getting their coffee before I could even get to the machine which as luck would have it ran out of coffee before I could fill mine up. Seems petty but the expectation of good, friendly customer service should be what every hotel/motel strives for. This hotel would have gotten a 4 rating if it wasn't for some of the bad customer service. In fairness, the rest of the staff there was really nice and friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank twe578
Midwest USA
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My teenage daughter and I recently spent the night in Topeka for a golf tournament. I don't like to pay for ultra-luxury and yet I have my standards. Upon searching on-line I kept reading about the Clubhouse Inn & Suites. The traveler reviews were great and the photos showed a pretty lobby, guestrooms and property. I hesitated to reserve because I've never heard of the Clubhouse Inn & Suites, but since the reviews were very good and the price was right, I took the chance. My daughter always critiques every place we stay and "rolls her eyes" if she thinks it's less than she hoped for. I can say that we were both extremely pleased with this hotel. It's a beautiful little place that peeks out from behind another hotel and a restaurant. I believe it was recently renovated and I can tell you they did a wonderful job. It's inviting and warm......beautiful colors and furniture and carpeting. It was very clean and the staff were exceptional. We checked in just as the manager's reception was ending but they told me I could still get in on it if I wanted. We had to leave the next morning shortly after 6:00 am; even though breakfast starts at 6:30 they told us it was ready and we were able to eat before a long day on the golf course. There is a really pretty courtyard surrounding the outdoor pool. We didn't get to use the pool area but it looked very nice. The air conditioning in the room worked great, the room was quiet and they had plenty of outlets for electronics. I would definitely book at this hotel again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground level and didn't have any issues to speak of.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank interstate35
MarlonG588, General Manager at Clubhouse Inn & Suites - Topeka, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
We would like to thank you for choosing us for you stay. I would like to invite you back, when you have more time to really enjoy our hotel. Thanks again for choosing us.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Everyone greeted us at entrance. Enjoyed happy hour the hostess was very friendly and did her job in an expert manner. We choose this location due to other trip advisor users opinions and great low price for the Hilton quality

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

We only stayed one night here with our dog. It was clean and roomy. The breakfast was also really nice. We didn't have a chance to use the pool but it looked clean. We would stay here again. The outside of the hotel was also up kept well. It was a nice location.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple