“Try the Hampton Inn next door...”

Holiday Inn Express Harrison
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Harrison
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Property looks good both outside and inside. However, this property suffered from poor maintenance. If only one thing had gone bad, I would understand and sympathize. But too many things went south at this property, and I must attribute this to lack of preventative maintenance.

The air conditioner in our first room was 1 foot from the bed, and blowing directly across the side of the bed (who planned this room layout?). But worse, it was spitting mud onto the sheets. I presume that the condensation from the chiller was not draining through the weep hole because of mold growing and dirt accumulating in the unit. So that moldy muddy water would get blown into the air and land directly onto the sheets. Gross! We requested a new room.

We were upgraded to a slightly larger room in which the air conditioner was just beyond the foot of the bed. We didn’t have muddy debris coming from this unit (to our knowledge), but this air conditioner fan cycled on & off all night, even though we selected a fan on setting (controls must have been broken). One fan blade was misaligned and hitting on another piece of metal EVERY revolution, and it sounded like a playing card in bicycle spokes. We put up with this ALL night, but didn’t switch rooms a second time; it was too late for us…).

Additionally the laundry room washer ate our $1.25 without washing our clothes. Now the front desk DID refund our money, but…come on, get the washer fixed!. And there was mold in the bathtub (there is never an excuse for this…EVER).

The positives:
• Good breakfast (although crowded and not enough tables).
• Duvets on beds.
• Our upgraded room had a refrigerator and microwave, and a jetted tub (but I would not use a jetted tub in a hotel because someone else’s dirty bath water is still in the pipes and the pump!).

Would I return? No. I would spend the few extra bucks and stay in the Hampton next door.

Room Tip: Select a room at the Hampton Inn next door. I have found Hampton Inns to be pretty consistent.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stay here when we go to Harrison because of the convieience and quality and we go there maybe once a month. They let you park the bike under the front entrance awning, have wipedown towels for you, and always greet you. The breakfast is excellent also and the cookies at night are good. You can't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We spent two nights here. The staff was friendly and competent. The front desk clerk was especially helpful when we checked in. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The breakfast was very good. The evening cookies were much appreciated.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here two nights as our daughter was getting married in Harrison. Upon arrival I was warmly welcomed. The room was a little smaller than what I thought it would be but it was sufficient and very clean. The breakfast was better than you could get at most restraunts. The staff always greeted you whether coming in or going out of the hotel. Seeing how our daughter and her family live in Harrison we will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I normally stay at this hotel at least twice a year when traveling on business. I was not acknowledged as a Platinum Rewards member and the reservations were not prepared prior to my arrival as they are at other IHG locations. They room that I was given had not been serviced so I had to change rooms. I spoke to the manger about the problem and she acted as if I was annoying her, no apologies just "oh yeah I heard about that".

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrison, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Dear msmintn,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Platinum Member and for taking the time to convey your comments. Kindly accept our sincerest apology for the issues you had with your room accommodations and the poor service you received from our staff. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We all hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 30 July 2012

When I checked in my room didn't have a fridge so the desk clerk sent his son to look for one since I just purchased food for the next couple of days. One was brought to my room within 15 minutes. The stopper in my tub didn't hold my bath water so I had to fill the tub again. They moved me the next day to a much better room. The breakfast is wonderful, hot food & fruit, yogurt, bagel, muffins & other breads. I would stay here again.
If you have arthritis you may not be able to turn your light by the bed on, I even had a hard time turning it on & off. It's one of those that you have to push & it's really hard to push, I thought it might be a twist but it wasn't.
Bring ear plugs if air conditions bother you, it's a pretty loud unit.

Room Tip: It's a little hot on the top floor right now with the extreme heat. I leave my air on all day &a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights while hiking the Ozarks. The staff was very courteous and helpful from the first moment I walked through the door. The room was very clean, had a VERY comfortable bed, and there was as much warm water and great amenities for washing as I could have hoped for. The scenery isn't fantastic, but there is a nice field in the back, and across the street are plenty of restaurants to choose from. The express breakfast buffet was quite sufficient for my needs. I'd planned to use the pool and workout rooms, but quite frankly after hiking all day, I was pooped and just wanted to shower and lay back in bed and be comfortable. This place certainly fit the bill. The wifi seemed to be quite adequate for my needs.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo