“Gosh, this should be better...”

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #77 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The setting is spectacular. Its a good, quiet hotel if you are attending a convention next door. However, this should be a much better hotel. I had to fix my shower curtain. The bathrobe they provided was clean, and came quickly, but was torn and stained. In a nearly empty restaurant, while I was dining alone and reading, they seated a family with a baby right next to me. The elevators in the main lobby are only accessible from one side, instead of both sides of the lobby, forcing people to run in circles. To exit the hotel on foot, you have to descend to the lower level, which is in two parts, so to get from the hotel restaurant to the pedestrian exit to the convention center you have to go up to the lobby on one escalator and descend in another escalator a few feet away. This is all just weird engineering.
However, the unforgiveable is that the food is not good aside from the breakfast. Heavy on the salt, and needs more imaginative salad options and fresh vegetables... The small plates at the bar are particularly salty and ... oh never mind. Just underwhelming. There is a Starbucks, but what is with the cheesy fro-yo place with the artificial fro yo?
The staff are great. There are better dining options nearby.

1  Thank Cheryl G
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We apologize for the poor level of service and amenities you received while staying at our hotel. We understand your frustrations and we will be addressing the issues you had with our staff. We hope the next time you are in the area you would consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Right on the waterfront, close to the Gas Lamp district, adjacent to the Convention Centre - so a great location. Excellent lobby space, excellent breakfast (always a must for me). Friendly and helpful staff and swift elevators (lifts) which is a boon for those on the higher floors! For my ears the music in the bar was too loud and unnecessary by the pool - a personal gripe. Walking out is easy and a pleasure, seeing the sailboats and Pacific Fleet close by a bonus.

Room Tip: The 01 numbers are great - enormous and with panoramic views
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your five star review! We are happy you enjoyed our hotel and your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon :)

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed here on a Friday night a few weeks ago and had a great time. Walking distance to Petco Park and the gaslamp district, my friend and I partied all over downtown and were welcomed to our room by a nice plush bed and great view of the bay. The best feature, by far, was the hospitality extended towards me while I had a beer at The Odysea Bar. My bartender, Vareen, chatted me up about local areas to hang out at and fun things to do, and was extremely courteous the entire time, all while accommodating the other patrons in a timely fashion. Vareen's the best and would be a sole reason for me to choose this hotel again for a future stay! I definitely suggest anyone looking in the area to check this hotel out and order a Sculpin (on tap) from The Odysea. You won't regret it!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the great review! Wonderful to hear you had a great time at our hotel and in San Diego. We will share your review with our staff. See you next time!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed here on a 3 day personal get-away. I chose this particular hotel in San Diego for the spa, more than it's location or anything else. The spa lived up to it's hype on the website. I've been to more luxurious spas, but for the money and location this spa was terrific. I especially appreciated the "aqua soak" prior to my massage (it's an add-on) to loosen and prep both my mind and muscles for the massage. The massage therapist was very skilled, and I have had a lot of massages to compare it to. I also had a facial and nail services, all of which were very good. They do have a nice "quiet room" with fresh fruit, teas, and water. Bowls of iced cucumber slices and lavender wash cloths were a nice addition. So I would recommend this hotel's spa. The location turned out to be fine. The hotel is considered to be "downtown." It's on the bay, directly in a triangle with the convention center and the ball park. It's a short walk to the Gas Lamp District. I easily walked to dinner, and with all the security on the streets felt completely safe walking back alone after dark. The Gas Lamp District has really changed since I was last in San Diego. It was a lot of fun and had a good vibe. All the staff at the hotel were friendly and extremely accommodating. My only complaint about the hotel in general was the lack of a casual dining restaurant physically inside the hotel. I wanted a quick, casual dinner the first night, and I either had to go to the bar, which for some reason I didn't find appealing when I peaked in, or walk outside the hotel. That may not sound like a big deal, and really isn't, but I wasn't feeling well and just wanted to walk into something casual and sit down and eat. I could have walked outside to their sports bar, but definitely wasn't in the mood for that atmosphere. I ended up eating at the poolside restaurant. It was a little windy and cool, but they had heaters and a server brought one over to me without being asked. I felt the menus in both the bar and the poolside restaurant were limited. That's my biggest complaint about the entire experience. But what they did serve was tasty, and creatively made and presented. They do have a nicer restaurant which serves all day, and I ended up having breakfast there one morning. The name of that restaurant is Vela. Everything is relative. For me, it was very nice, but not special (Velas's, that is). But on the whole, it was pretty close to perfect for what I wanted.

Room Tip: I had a room with a view of both the bay and the city. I could watch navy ships pass through the bay...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Spent 5 nights here attending a conference at the end of two weeks in California. My review needs to be read with the following caveats. Firstly we had stayed at some truly memorable hotels in the previous 10 days, and generally I am not a fan of huge anonymous blocks. In truth there is nothing really to dislike, perhaps apart from the feeling that you are just one of many, and a lack of a personal touch. Nothing bad happened, but nothing memorable either. My limited experience of food in the hotel, a private lunch and large formal dinner, was uninspiring. For these reasons it does not hit the excellent spot.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and stay. We are happy you stayed with us during your conference. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I always have a great stay at the Hilton Bay front! The staff is very courteous and helpful. The breakfast buffet at Lela's located in the hotel is the best. The kids enjoy watching the boats on the bay and the concourse is great for a morning run or walk. It's very clean with a nice green lawn to relax on. Having several restaurants attached to the hotel makes it easier to eat, sleep and play in one location. The Gaslamp district is within walking distant.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for the five star review! We are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your time at our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I am here for a conference and my service here has been excellent. From Marcus the bellhop to Imelda the housekeeper...all of our needs have been met. I arrived late and had some packages shipped to the hotel. The front desk retrieved them at 2 a.m. Then I requested a refrigerator because I am traveling with a child...I got a refrigerator at 2 a.m. I stayed on the ninth floor and can say that I cannot hear anyone beside me or above me. I tried the food at the pool and it was all good. Mango ceviche, tuna tacos, burger, and chicken wrap. Food is expensive at the hotel but it is good. I would complain if it wasn't delicious. The pool area is nice and heated. There is a small childrens pool that is perfect for small children to splash in. Drinks at the bar are good and service is quick. The young bartender at Vela is great and has a good memory..he remembered my name. He accomadated my needs late one night as I wanted a chicken wrap and not anything that was available on the menu. Room service is good for breakfast and cheaper than the buffet downstairs. Eat in your room and get a good meal in bed.This hotel will go out of its way to make you feel welcome. Everything is available nearby and within walking distance. To take a taxi to gaslamp it is about 5-6 dollars. Take the taxi because you will be tired by the end of the day. Enjoying my stay so far...if anything changes I will update.

Room Tip: I was on the ninth floor looking out to the convention center, I really don't care for a view si...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the great five star review! We are happy you and your family found our hotel comfortable and memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.