“conference hotel”

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #78 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
“conference hotel”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a conference and this is exactly how this hotel feels like. The communal areas are nice and spacy. However the rooms feels a bit dated, the bed is soft, the air conditioning allows only heating up to 23.5 and is very noisy. There are only coffee making facilities in the room; no facilities for a tea drinker. Housekeeping could do a little better; I had a sugar coated donut on day 2 and spilled some of the sugar coating on the floor. It was still there on check out. On a really positive note I have found staff ton be very helpful and friendly; absolutely no ned for improvement in this department.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank sportsmed t
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay. We apologize for the poor level of service and amenities you received while staying at our hotel. We understand your frustrations and we will be addressing the issues you had with our staff. We hope the next time you are in the area you would consider staying with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 24 June 2014

On a recent visit to San Diego, I was on a work trip and had to stay at the Hilton Bayfront. If you are going to the convention center or a baseball game, it's location can't be beat. Additionally, it's well appointed particularly for a Hilton. I had a great room on a high floor with an excellent view of the bay. The food at the hotel was good (when I had it) but...the service it sucked. I still can't figure out why--were they understaffed? But it was bad.

I should also preface it by saying all the staff I interacted with was quite friendly and tried to be helpful and/or apologetic if necessary but they were all overwhelmed. A few examples...upon check-in I stood in a line that would conservatively 10 people deep. It was like being in Vegas. While check-in itself was efficient, it took a while.

The most egregious experience was room service. I called at 6:15 in the morning and was told it would take 90 minutes...that's after being on hold for 3 minutes. The operator was very sorry about that, but I'd never heard of such a thing. Seriously. I was told they were "very busy". I respect that the hotel might have been at capacity for a convention...but they are next to the convention center. I presume (hope) they are often busy. Suffice it to say, I didn't place the order.

My takeaway...come for the location (if its in proximity to the things you want) but don't come to relax.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
We’re sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife and 2 kids ages 3 and 8 just recently stayed at this hotel and I have to say it was an awesome experience. Upon arrival the front desk staff was very courteous and attentive to our every need. I met one of the managers Spencer and he had a great attitude, was smiling and made sure we knew if there was anything that the family needed just let him know. It was assuring to see this attitude because we travel a lot and many of the staff that we see at numerous hotels don't care about you or your stay. The hotel itself was clean and the views are great. They had movie night by the pool for the kids which was great and the room service was very good too. The hotel is located perfectly for padre games and also close enough to seaport village to enjoy a spectacular walk along the boardwalk. We will be back.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor and ask for a bayfront and city view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank matt c
What a wonderful 5 star review! Thank you for taking the time to share it via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind words and we will be sharing it with our staff. See you next time!
New York, NY
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I love San Diego and the Hilton doesn't disappoint. It's the first time I have been to the hotel. The last time I was in San Diego they had just broken ground for the hotel. The views are fabulous and the promenade along the back side of the hotel is great for walking or just staring out at the bay. I sat outside of Starbucks for a long while and watched the world pass by. It was so very peaceful.

I was disappointed that there wasn't anyplace to eat lunch in the hotel other than the poolside restaurant, which has a limited menu. I ate twice in the Fox Sports Bar which is adjacent to the hotel. Fox has a very extensive menu. Too bad they don't deliver to the hotel. Starbucks is also adjacent to the hotel.

This hotel is following along the lines of other properties and has eliminated it's Executive Lounge. That may be part of another reviewer's discontent. As a Diamond member, I am used to the lounge and the amenities it affords and missed it during my trip. They give you free bottles of water, a Starbucks coupon for an item and a beverage or you get to have the buffet breakfast for $10, in an effort to make up for not having a lounge. I found the staff to be very courteous, friendly and helpful.

I shall return.

Room Tip: A bay view room is ideal.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your stay. We are happy you found our location peaceful and our views fabulous. We will share your review with our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a work conference, but location, staff, and accommodations made me feel like I was on vacation. Staff is very efficient and friendly - they truly made me feel like a valued guest.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank 964christinep
Thank you for sharing your wonderful review via TripAdvisor! We are happy you had a memorable stay with us and we look forward to having you as a guest again. :)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed here to see a game at Petco Park, and wanted a hotel within walking distance to the stadium. A pedestrian bridge connects the hotel and southern end of the convention center to Petco Park and the Gaslamp Quarter, which was something that attracted us. The bridge made it very convenient to get to the baseball game, and is an excellent perk to this hotel.

Along with this, the hotel itself was clean, good looking, and overall very nice. The room we stayed in was great, and the hotel decor and atmosphere was very nice too. The spa is also great, with massages and a nice steam room too (and $10 a day to use the general spa area is worth it).

The Hilton Bayfront is a great place to stay, especially if you plan on visiting the Gaslamp Quarter, catching a game at Petco Park, or going to the convention center next-door. If we stay in this area again, we'll definitely be staying here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank steviewer92
Samira M, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your review with us! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and our proximity to Petco Park. See you next time!
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The management staff at this Hilton is obnoxious and don't care about their customer base. Being a Honors Diamond member (or even if I wasn't), didn't help me get the fair room price and service that any person walking in off the street would receive.

The managerial staff were one of the rudest, most uncaring group of employees I have ever dealt with. The regular employees, housekeeping, bellman, etc, were nice but the higher ups were rude, condescending, and didn't know how to do, nor care about their jobs. My room had a leaking faucet that wasn't addressed and the room next door to me made noise all hours of the right that was also not addressed. No sleep, no work done, horrible stay. They sure charged me for my time though!

In 2013 I stayed here for a few days as well and the same uncaring and lackadaisical attitude by management was apparent.

This property 2014 is charging almost $1000 ($909 to be exact), a night during Comic Con 2014 which is a disgrace. The room should cost under $300 a night and usually is between $159 -$239 a night.

Save your money and time and stay at the Marriott Marquis.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MikeAdams1
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
We appreciate and value your feedback. During Comic Con, all hotels in the city see high demand and we try to accommodate everyone we can. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. We do hope you will consider staying with us in the future.