“Good location & comfortable stay”

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #77 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Buckfastleigh, United Kingdom
“Good location & comfortable stay”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We aren't great fans of large hotels but found this one to be very nice. The service was excellent throughout & it's location on the bay front affords some great views from your room. We had a corner room which was even better & was of a good size. The bed was comfortable & the bathroom was as one would expect from a hotel such as this but with a reasonable sized shower. We didn't eat in the restaurant for dinner preferring to go out so we can't comment on the food except to say that breakfast was very good. The hotel's location is really good for the convention centre and the baseball stadium as well as being less than 10 minutes walk to the Gas lamps area. There are many restaurants & shops along the bay front so all in all it was a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Go for one of the higher floors to get the best views & ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David C
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your stay via TripAdvisor. We are happy you enjoyed your guest room and our location. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2014

What a beautiful hotel and convenient to Gaslamp and Petco Park and the Convention center. A gorgeous pool on the Bayfront and the staff is Wonderful. We were welcomed by Gary the bellman and made us felt like we belonged there. Marcus(bellman) also helped us so much and they genuinely cared about me and my friend. This is the only place I want to stay next time I go back to San Diego.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathy O
Thank you for the wonderful 5 star review! We are thrilled you had a memorable stay with us and our staff helped make your stay more comfortable. See you next time! :)
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel for a conference and this is exactly how this hotel feels like. The communal areas are nice and spacy. However the rooms feels a bit dated, the bed is soft, the air conditioning allows only heating up to 23.5 and is very noisy. There are only coffee making facilities in the room; no facilities for a tea drinker. Housekeeping could do a little better; I had a sugar coated donut on day 2 and spilled some of the sugar coating on the floor. It was still there on check out. On a really positive note I have found staff ton be very helpful and friendly; absolutely no ned for improvement in this department.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank sportsmed t
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay. We apologize for the poor level of service and amenities you received while staying at our hotel. We understand your frustrations and we will be addressing the issues you had with our staff. We hope the next time you are in the area you would consider staying with us again.
Reviewed 24 June 2014

On a recent visit to San Diego, I was on a work trip and had to stay at the Hilton Bayfront. If you are going to the convention center or a baseball game, it's location can't be beat. Additionally, it's well appointed particularly for a Hilton. I had a great room on a high floor with an excellent view of the bay. The food at the hotel was good (when I had it) but...the service it sucked. I still can't figure out why--were they understaffed? But it was bad.

I should also preface it by saying all the staff I interacted with was quite friendly and tried to be helpful and/or apologetic if necessary but they were all overwhelmed. A few examples...upon check-in I stood in a line that would conservatively 10 people deep. It was like being in Vegas. While check-in itself was efficient, it took a while.

The most egregious experience was room service. I called at 6:15 in the morning and was told it would take 90 minutes...that's after being on hold for 3 minutes. The operator was very sorry about that, but I'd never heard of such a thing. Seriously. I was told they were "very busy". I respect that the hotel might have been at capacity for a convention...but they are next to the convention center. I presume (hope) they are often busy. Suffice it to say, I didn't place the order.

My takeaway...come for the location (if its in proximity to the things you want) but don't come to relax.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
We’re sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife and 2 kids ages 3 and 8 just recently stayed at this hotel and I have to say it was an awesome experience. Upon arrival the front desk staff was very courteous and attentive to our every need. I met one of the managers Spencer and he had a great attitude, was smiling and made sure we knew if there was anything that the family needed just let him know. It was assuring to see this attitude because we travel a lot and many of the staff that we see at numerous hotels don't care about you or your stay. The hotel itself was clean and the views are great. They had movie night by the pool for the kids which was great and the room service was very good too. The hotel is located perfectly for padre games and also close enough to seaport village to enjoy a spectacular walk along the boardwalk. We will be back.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor and ask for a bayfront and city view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank matt c
What a wonderful 5 star review! Thank you for taking the time to share it via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind words and we will be sharing it with our staff. See you next time!
New York, NY
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I love San Diego and the Hilton doesn't disappoint. It's the first time I have been to the hotel. The last time I was in San Diego they had just broken ground for the hotel. The views are fabulous and the promenade along the back side of the hotel is great for walking or just staring out at the bay. I sat outside of Starbucks for a long while and watched the world pass by. It was so very peaceful.

I was disappointed that there wasn't anyplace to eat lunch in the hotel other than the poolside restaurant, which has a limited menu. I ate twice in the Fox Sports Bar which is adjacent to the hotel. Fox has a very extensive menu. Too bad they don't deliver to the hotel. Starbucks is also adjacent to the hotel.

This hotel is following along the lines of other properties and has eliminated it's Executive Lounge. That may be part of another reviewer's discontent. As a Diamond member, I am used to the lounge and the amenities it affords and missed it during my trip. They give you free bottles of water, a Starbucks coupon for an item and a beverage or you get to have the buffet breakfast for $10, in an effort to make up for not having a lounge. I found the staff to be very courteous, friendly and helpful.

I shall return.

Room Tip: A bay view room is ideal.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Samira M, Public Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your stay. We are happy you found our location peaceful and our views fabulous. We will share your review with our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a work conference, but location, staff, and accommodations made me feel like I was on vacation. Staff is very efficient and friendly - they truly made me feel like a valued guest.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank 964christinep
Thank you for sharing your wonderful review via TripAdvisor! We are happy you had a memorable stay with us and we look forward to having you as a guest again. :)