“More of the same sterile corporate decor...”

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #75 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 23 May 2010

I find it hard to delineate all of these 4-star hotels...the lobbies are just different variations of the same style of decor, the rooms all blend together in my memory, and they all ream you on parking (here it's about $25/night). So, my ratings reflect just those things that pop out.

I used Priceline once again...I'm a local and it's the only way I stay in the Gaslamp since I know there is an abundance of rooms in 4-star hotels (as long as Comic Con or a holiday is not happening). I got the two beds per room as I requested, but no adjoining rooms were available. They treated me respectably considering I only paid $95 per room for two rooms....sometimes that's not the case with hotels and their Priceline customers.

The reason for the 3-stars is because of specific location and overall feel. Yes, the hotel has great views, but location is a lot more important to me since I don't spend a lot of time in my room...and, when I'm in it, I'm not spending a lot of time gazing out the window. It's just outside of the Gaslamp district, across and a ways up Harbor Drive...a taxi is required to get to all the restaurants and clubs. Unless you're a maniac. When you've got 6 women, that adds to the overall cost. Also, the place just felt deserted...even of staff...and a bit cold.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank WanderingEXHousewife
There are newer reviews for Hilton San Diego Bayfront

Reviewed 22 May 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a business conference. The conference itself was well run and pleasant enough but as a guest in the hotel there are a few things that nigggle me.
It's my first time in a Hilton for a couple of years and I was disappointed.
The hotel is newish - Hope you like trains and noise from the container port!!
It's a beautiful hotel inside and feels airy and spacious but nothing else. It has zero soul or heart and whatever design they were going for seems to have fallen flat going for clinical open space. It feels more like a hospital than a hotel. it doesn''t help that the staff wear something not too dissimilar to hospital nurses uniforms completing the look.

The Bar has no atmosphere but adequate service but both the food and dribks menus are pretencious and over fussy although not overly expensive. Service was adequate and functional.

I only had breakfast in the restaurant - If you want it in your room it has to be orrdered hours in advance and again is very fussy - God help you if you wan OJ, toast and Coffee. Right through the menus they have over complicated the food to make it sound fabulous and i suspect hoike up the price. But on every occassion it fails to match the grand descriptions.
The food on the hot buffet at breakfast is usually cold in my expereince of the 4 days I ate there and the freshy squeezed orange Juice was not. The waiter described it as being freshy squeezed then put in the packet. For a hotel of this quality less than Minute Maid quality Orange Juice is unforgivable - especially in california. Again it looks like all show and no quality.

On one night I had the hotel burger from room service and it was pretty awful. Compared to Mariott room service it was a dismal failure. I think it was supposed to be freshly ground beef but I got a greasy sloppy burger covered in fried onions that felt like a bad Wendys. Seriously under done raw in the middle - very offputting for a burger and it sat in me for hours and had an after taste like a bad kebab.

Two other points if you are on any floor leave pleanty of time to get around, the lifts work at thier own pace and getting from room to lobby or bar is an expedition in itself. They have six lifts and all I can say is that they struggle off peak but in the morning and early evening they are hammered and you wait and wait and wait on your floor for a lift.

They also allow dogs in the rooms and public areas. Onthree occassions I was accosted by dogs in the corridor outside my room or lift. Having some big huge dribbling dog put its paws all over me whilst the owner tells me hes judst being friendly is not what I want in a hotel. And it seems happy to let people stayt with whatever dogs they want and exercie no guidance over thier control. NOT EVERONE LIKES DOGS and I don't want them as part of my hotel expereince.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank mbbucks
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Stayed here for 4 days for our anniversary. Had a corner room on the 24th floor and the views out of each window were gorgeous! The bed was amazing! Loved everything about this hotel, but we really needed to find restaurants in the gas lamp district. Fox Sports grill was good the first time or two, after that we took a "pedi-cab" and had dinner elsewhere. All in all would stay here anytime of the year.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I accompanied my husband on a recent business trip and couldn't have been happier with the accommodations at the Hilton Bayfront. The hotel is brand new and beautifully designed with sleek, modern Euro-type decor-- lots of light wood, chrome, modern artwork, etc. If you're looking for small and cozy this is definitely not the place, but if you're looking for a really hopping yet extremely comfortable hotel with all the amenities in a great part of town, I'd say go for it. Our room was on the 26th floor with an absolutely gorgeous view of the city and harbor. The large, sunny window made the room seem much larger than it was, and at the end of a busy day-- it was a light and airy place to come home to. Very, very quiet and relaxing! Everything you might need is right at your fingertips including a Starbucks on the premises and a terrific business center. The bed was amazingly comfortable and although the windows didn't open, the thermostat could be easily adjusted for perfect sleeping temperatures. There weren't bathrobes in the room, but when I called the front desk and asked for them, housekeeping delivered complimentary robes within 5 minutes. Perhaps one of the nicest features of the hotel was its proximity to the water. Right out your door literally were walking, jogging, biking paths along the waterfront and two lovely seaside parks. Restaurants were a stones' throw away, both along the water and in the bustling Gaslamp area a block away. All in all, I have nothing but praise for this new San Diego hotel and would highly recommend it for business and/or pleasure traveling. It's a light, bright, gorgeously modern place with friendly staff and all the comforts of home. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Stayed here a few nights for a conference. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was roomy and clean. I had a nice water view overlooking the convention center. There was a wedding on the grass below on one day. The pool looked pretty nice but I didn't partake. They don't have a breakfast so instead they offer coupons to Starbucks for HHonors members. The hotel is about a 5-10 minute walk to the main part of the convention center. It is probably a little further than the Hilton Gaslamp. A friend of mine stayed there and I saw his room - the Bay Front rooms were larger than those of the Gas Lamp. He told me the train was pretty loud at his room. I didn't notice the train at all during my stay. One thing that seemed confusing was where to go for parking. I could see the garage but it wasn't obvious to me how to get in. It didn't matter to me since I was dropped off. Walking to the convention center seemed easiest when walking out from the very bottom floor rather than from the main lobby.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 May 2010

All I can say about this hotel is it is by far the best place I have ever stayed at. When I first checked in the front desk agent was very helpful and nice. The room was amazing, and for that the entire hotel was amazing. I will def recommend this place to friends and family. And the location of this hotel is amazing, right next to the gaslamp area for food and nightlife.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2010

I stayed here for one night with friends. We had early flights in the morning and decided to stay here because of its close proximity to the Gaslamp Quarter. The room was cozy - a little smaller than what I expected, but it was clean and served us just fine for our one night stay. We spent most of our last day in San Diego out and about - and the location was perfect - we were just across the street from PetCo Park and all the restaurants and shops in the Gaslamp Quarter. Self-Parking was $22 - kinda steep but you do get in and out privileges, but we found the area very walk-able.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends